Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Halloween outfits 'create fear'

UM-Bot

halloween.jpg
Retailers who sell traditional Halloween merchandise, such as scary masks, are creating a "climate of fear", the Bishop of Bolton has said. The Rt Rev David Gillett has written to supermarkets asking them to rethink the way they promote the pagan festival, celebrated on 31 October.

He said they are focussing on the darker side of Halloween. Mr Gillett suggested shops stock hair braids, bright balloons and colourful costumes alongside traditional items.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike8272

• Nxt2Hvn

• Acenaspheru

• Blizno

Well i don't support bright colored things, or light and cheerful things if you will fopr halloween, the whole basis behind it or at least of recent times with horror films etc it's more dark, mystery, horror etc so the darker grusome things work in that enviroment.

But still suppose the brightly colored things in this article is another way of making money, and at least they won't scare little kids half to death.

Fear is based upon what one thinks is scary, and it is not the same for all children anymore than for all adults.

user posted image

Suppose you're right there, as kids are brought up in watching things that say the last generations or say my sis who is 25 watched. Wereas myself i watched things like HAlloween, friday 13th etc when i was in my early teens and things that would be deemed hugely scary to my sis or parents.

So as you say fear has changed in some ways, but these days kids are afraid of less than what older people are as they are brought up with it....

But on the other hand i suppose that could lead to the thing why we have so much crime, etc in society these days.

halloween is meant for the people who dont want to be themselves for that day.we can be whatever we please.then there the people who think its satanic wich is bull.because there are monsters and freaky costumes dosent make it a abomination.then the easter bunny is satanic or santa.anyways its realy meant for the people whoi love horror moviues and the gothics. :devil:

Agreed.

Sci-fi, fantasy, and horror day.

Imagination day.

Thank God that we have one.

Bright colored balloons? Yuuck. It's Halloween, not a birthday party. It's supposed to be spooky, dark and atmospheric. Some people who don't like the holiday should just come out and say so instead of trying to make it into something it's not.

Oh good grief! :wacko: Don't these people know the origins of Hallowe'en? Are they planning on stringing daisy chains on the Day of the Dead and maybe throwing confetti on a crucifix on Easter? Honestly! Some people just choose the silliest things to get worked up about.

Hallowe'en (possible religious significance aside) is just a fun day/night, darn it. And you know, for being such a scaredy-cat when I was a kid, I was more afraid of the things in my closet on any given night, than some idiot kid from down the street dressed like Freddy Krueger. ;)

It's Halloween! It is supposed to be scary, and it is probably my favorite holiday!

You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm all geared up already! I purchased this mask before it was discontinued.

Source: Psycho Lantern Mask

:devil:

Looks like most are in agreerance with the fact that brightly colored baloons etc shouldn't be used at halloween...but i suppose they'll try and reuin this holiday tradition thing.

Totally agree Without!!! :D I loveees Halloween & can't wait for it. I couldn't really decide on what to wear this year. I had thought and thought it over. I think I'm gonna dress up as a Autumn Fall Witch and daughter is gonna be a pumpkin and her father is gonna be a wizard. I think it will be cute. Hehe I've had my costume for yrs. but wasn't sure I wanted to dress up in it. I made the outfit when I was studying Paganism and so I think I'll just add some touchups and it'll be great to wear. So we'll all 3 be dressed up great for halloween. I think I'll have to loose about 10 lbs though. I made the dress when I was 17 and I'm 25 now and I've had one child so I think I need to drop about 10 lbs. hehe np I'll do it!! :D

Edited by starlitkate

Now-as far as the whole Halloween is evil thing. I'm rolling my eyes. I think it's just stupid unneeded controversy caused.

Halloween ios only been linked with evil due to the way it started and past going ons. But to be honest i haven't been out trick or treating for years and i'm 17 :D lol

Halloween ios only been linked with evil due to the way it started and past going ons. But to be honest i haven't been out trick or treating for years and i'm 17 :D lol

Bah! I'm 26, and that won't stop me from slapping a costume on at the very least. I may not go door to door for candies, but then again, it's free candies! :yes:

As I am only in the USA for 1 year now I have to really get into the Halloween stuff. (Not a holiday in the Netherlands, where I am originally from)

But I like it, and to suggest bright colors - they hurt my eyes :wacko: - is preposterous. Hell, even in my view (which, granted, doesn't account for much :P) Halloween is all about dark and gloomy.

Still not into the entire dressing up for it thing, but with my usual dark (Metal) attire I will fit right in ;)

user posted image

You know whats brought this on....

Peopple buyign scream masks and running round with butcher knifes....

dark colors are what make halloween scary.well u can have killer clowns.halloween isent supposed to be a childs birthday party lets light up some firecrackers whiler were at it.halloween is the american version of day of th dead in wich they celebrate in mexico.with candy and costumes.

Halloween has a certain dark appeal, and it's meant to be this way. Perhaps it was originally different, but things change with time. The majority has spoken, and they want scary, not rainbow balloons. Though, of course, you can dress however you damn well please.

For one day people can change the way they look entirely, they can look however they wish. Some love the idea of being the opposite of what they are for a day. That's it's appeal.

Candy is just a bonus, I think. :P

I don't celebrate Halloween... not for any one reason.. I just don't...

I lived out in the boonies growing up so we didn't trick or treat or did we have trick or treaters visit our house.. so really not an issue with me.

However... October 31 does have a significant meaning to me... if you will all note.. it is the day that I joined UM... October 31, 2003!!! :w00t:

Gotta love those ignorant, judgemental, everyone else is inferior to them christians....I know i sure do.

What? Huh?... who or what post are you referring to here?

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

Forgot to add.. I don't celebrate Halloween.. as in dressing up or decorating ... but me and my best friend do plan on visiting a local graveyard to try to record some EVPs.... so wish us luck... :blink: I guess... :unsure2: