Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hackers revisited...

saxcatz

Ummm I was joking and I did not intend for a gang up on BA to happen....The LOtr comment was a friendly rib...But my veiws on hacking or whatever you want to call it, are still as they were before...wrong is wrong, crime is crime, hacking is illegal...sorry but I do have to call it as I see it...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blood Angel

• Nancy

• Kryso

• Phantom

Glad that is cleared up. Now I'll take BA's advise and move this one to the Computers and Internet thread. thumbsup.gif

Man....you guys have been at it, huh?

Hacker or Cracker....I don't know about any of that stuff except what I've just learned from you all. I'm just gonna' say that anyone tampering with my property in any way that harms my property should be punished....no matter the age. Kid's get sent to Juvenile Hall, and I have a cousin that got sent there for stealing. Straightened that little goof-ball out, cause all he needed was a little scare put into him. Of course places like that can make people more resentful to the "system", and more rebellious.

I've just finished reading this entire thread, and I'm sorry to say I agree with everyone to a certain extent. Without hackers/crackers/jabberwoks/whatever they want to call themselves there would be no need for internet security. And if I owned a company, the people I'd want to be working on my systems would be someone who also knew how to break into them. Someone who knew all the tricks and how to counter them. Just simple common sense, really. But, wrong is wrong and right is right, but there's also a very big grey area right in the middle, and some folks can't see the forest for the trees.

now I'm off to start a thread about what underwear the forum users prefer, which will probably have 60 posts by tomorrow morning. laugh.gif

now I'm off to start a thread about what underwear the forum users prefer, which will probably have 60 posts by tomorrow morning. 

Snuff,

I'm all for that, as long as pics are included. icon_mrgreen.gif

Snuff,

I'm all for that, as long as pics are included. icon_mrgreen.gif

You wanna see me in my underwear? Okay, if you insist blink.gifdevil.gif

Well then, and I was gonna wear some special ones just for you...

Okay I'm done now.

There's all kinds of 'hackers' out there, each type of hacking derives a different name. Such as, Crackers generally break open programs and manipulate them (such as mask programs that allow you to play a game without the game CD in the drive, which in turn increases piracy, but that's another subject altogether). Hackers, the real ones, are more like trespassers and sometimes thieves. Phreakers (though they have died down) mess with telephone service and credit card fraud.

There are a few more than that, but that's the gist of it. I love it when I'm watching the news and the media calls someone who downloaded an illegal copy of Quake III a 'hacker'. Anyone could be a 'hacker' in that sense, just launch Kazaa or some other P2P file sharing service. OOH NOOESS HACKARS EVERYWAREZ!!

But enough of that subject. I've been on computers for most of my life, from my first 8MHz, 512k RAM (that's kilobytes, not megabytes wink2.gif ) 20MB external hard drive the size of a pumpkin pie powerhouse. I believe hackers, crackers, phreakers and all of the like should be treated just like real criminals. It doesn't matter what they stole, it's against the law, they should be punished accordingly. The hard part is, tracking them down and finding them (the crafty ones that is). It's rather easy to find someone who downloaded illegal files off of a temporary ftp or free web space location. The smart ones masquerade their IP, use a dummy address, or even take remote control of another persons computer, download it to their hard drive, transfer it to their own anonymously, close the connection and you are done (this is real hacking, folks).

Anyway, those are my thoughts! thumbsup.gif

JUst to add something to this, the man that was in court for hacker the houston thing can't remember, he said other hackers used his computer as a remote? If they did a check on his computer they should have found the trojan that he said was on there, not only that also trace connections back via logs created on his computer, to the remote users, even if they did use a anonymous proxy, the proxy servers are not above the law and must submit all logs to the courts as well, if the law had been thorough, then they should have found this, even if he was lying, then its also easy to find this, its a question on whether the law did there job correctly or not...

Again you use hacker as a generic term, Say that in 1 million hackers and cracker 5 are stupid enough to get caught, the public starts to get annoyed with computer savvy people, it doesn't matter whether they are good or bad they still get a blasting, The hackers gets p***ed off because they spend all of their free time making YOU safe, from the crackers. The hackers are what make your firewalls, your antivirus software, your trojan horse detecters, they fix bugs in your software, so that crackers can't get the handhold, while they are busy making YOU safe, they are getting flamed but millions of user worldwide becuase of crackers who are intent on harming, do they get credit? NO. How about giving the hackers that do a good job in keeping YOU safe a round of applause for their efforts? I'm not saying praise the crackers, but praise hackers that do good, they are like the "police" force of the internet, but go relatively unnoticed by normal users. I myself find it frustrating everytime i mention myself as a hacker, to be blasted left right and centre because of something else someone else is doing. Don't hate the many because of a few. You can call me whatever you like.

Where I'm from, we call this class of hackers "software engineers." I myself fall under this categorey; and you have seen my lack of love for hackers (or crackers as you call them.)

Quibbling about semantics... rolleyes.gif

I declare myself the winner. wink2.gif

Hacking should be compared to real life . If you think about it , hacking into someones server and changing data is just like breaking into someones house and throwing their clohes around for no apperant reason . Hacking is just another way for kids to mess around and be "cool" . It should always be illegal .

Here is something I found out :

Recently , hackers broke into the video game corporation and stole part

of the source code for an upcoming game . The game was supposed to be one of the best games of the year , Half Life 2 ! Now valve has to rewrite part of the source code and the game has been delayed for 6 months on its original release date . Stuff like this should be punished . ( especially since I like half life ... crying.gif )

OK, everybody had their say. As an old proverb goes: Everything has already been said and done... (Or something like that tongue.gif )

So, I declare this one closed. original.gif

So, since everything has already been done, don't blame me... blame the other guy.