Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3.3 million year old skull

Raptor

The 3.3-million-year-old fossilised remains of a human-like child have been unearthed in Ethiopia's Dikika region.

The female Australopithecus afarensis bones are from the same species as an adult skeleton found in 1974 which was nicknamed "Lucy".

Scientists are thrilled with the find, reported in the journal Nature.

They believe the near-complete remains offer a remarkable opportunity to study growth and development in an important extinct human ancestor.

Source/Video

EDIT: Fixed broken link

Edited by Raptor X7

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• Shaftsbury

• kaknelson

• Twitch98

Just an ape species.

Depends how you look at it, they represent an evolutionary milestone. They were able to walk upright from very young ages and had an extended childhood development period (something almost exclusive to humans).

"just an ape species" :lol::w00t: That's an example of the biasedness which proliferates even the scientific community. Using the absolute least meager information, without physically examining the specimen, a conclusion is lept to. That is the perfect illustration of ignorant bigotry! :tu:

Yup :D Just an ape species - just like we are.

This is a very cool find.

"just an ape species" :lol::w00t: That's an example of the biasedness which proliferates even the scientific community. Using the absolute least meager information, without physically examining the specimen, a conclusion is lept to. That is the perfect illustration of ignorant bigotry! :tu:

:o

Why thank you.

Does anyone know where I can buy a skull like these? From the early homo erectus period of man. My 3 year old cousin would love it

Does anyone know where I can buy a skull like these? From the early homo erectus period of man. My 3 year old cousin would love it

Just do a Google on "Replica Skulls", however I think a museum quality replica would be lost on a 3 year old. I might suggest looking in any Halloween store :tu:

You're not gonna be able to get your hands on a skull like this, that's for sure. It'll be studied for a few more years than probably given to a museum.

You might be able to get your hands on a much younger one, though. Just do a few searches on google. Maybe try looking for a replica instead if you can't find a real one.

ummm......Why would your 3 year old cousin love it anyway...I mean, it's a skull...

Edited by Nickj47

Your cousin sounds like a genius should he be after this.

Paperweight?

Trying to keep an open mind about this. At least with them both being found in the same area, they can be related not only species but a good chance of being immediate family.

There is no mystery or cryprozoology at work here. It's simply a fossilized Australopithecus afarensis. :)

Urban soldiers/militia?

I think you mean GORILLA.

Smart one, I was talkin about the urban soldiers. :o

There is no mystery or cryprozoology at work here. It's simply a fossilized Australopithecus afarensis. :)

No one is implying there's any mystery surrounding it. It's just an important discovery. :tu: