Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's most expensive marmalade

jesspy

A jam maker has marked its 125th anniversary by producing the world's most expensive marmalade.

F Duerr & Son's Fine Cut Seville Orange Marmalade with Whisky, Champagne and Gold costs £5,000 a jar.

That means it would cost an estimated £76 to spread on just one slice of toast, reports the Telegraph.

It contains finest Seville fruit with vintage Dalmore 62 whisky from Whyte & Mackay, valued at £32,000 per bottle, Pol Roger Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill 1996 vintage champagne and flakes of 24-carat gold leaf.

The Manchester-based firm's special marmalade is encased in a custom-made crystal jar valued at £1,100.

Managing director Mark Duerr said: "It's unbelievably good - we tasted it at a board meeting last week for the first time, and were amazed. The whisky comes through immediately. The champagne's more subtle."

The initial plan was to make the exclusive preserve a one-off production, with the one-kilo jar being auctioned on eBay to raise money for the Manchester Kids charity.

However, Duerr's has been so impressed by the taste that it is considering making a more affordable version as a normal product.

link

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jesspy

• coldethyl

• fawkes2

• _Nyx_

I read this somewhere before and it had a picture of the jar. This is really a gift for that someone who has everything. :blink:

A jam maker has marked its 125th anniversary by producing the world's most expensive marmalade.

F Duerr & Son's Fine Cut Seville Orange Marmalade with Whisky, Champagne and Gold costs £5,000 a jar.

That means it would cost an estimated £76 to spread on just one slice of toast, reports the Telegraph.

It contains finest Seville fruit with vintage Dalmore 62 whisky from Whyte & Mackay, valued at £32,000 per bottle, Pol Roger Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill 1996 vintage champagne and flakes of 24-carat gold leaf.

The Manchester-based firm's special marmalade is encased in a custom-made crystal jar valued at £1,100.

Managing director Mark Duerr said: "It's unbelievably good - we tasted it at a board meeting last week for the first time, and were amazed. The whisky comes through immediately. The champagne's more subtle."

The initial plan was to make the exclusive preserve a one-off production, with the one-kilo jar being auctioned on eBay to raise money for the Manchester Kids charity.

However, Duerr's has been so impressed by the taste that it is considering making a more affordable version as a normal product.

link

:blink:

I just have horrible visions of waking up and going to my kitchen, only to find my less than refined roommate glopping it onto his toast and claiming "Now this is good stuff!", prior to downing the whole thing in one gulp, followed by black coffee.

Would you really want to eat it after shelling out all that money? :huh:

see what would you do with it. Marmalade is made for eating right but this is so expensive you would just want to have it on show. You would stand there staring at it salivating

Now I've heard everything ..... £5,000 a jar ..... I think I'll stick to generic.

Me too...

I just have horrible visions of waking up and going to my kitchen, only to find my less than refined roommate glopping it onto his toast and claiming "Now this is good stuff!", prior to downing the whole thing in one gulp, followed by black coffee.

:angry2: no kidding! :P only in my case, it would be my husband <_<

...who is the reason, by the way, that I never buy ANYTHING very expensive unless I'm using it for a meal for the whole family THAT NIGHT :yes:

If you gave it as a gift, or left it sitting out to show it off, you'd have to leave the price tag on it...and that's not good manners...

If I were wealthy enough, (or dumb enough) to buy such a thing, it would be my luck that my kids would find it slurp it all down saying "this sure is some good jelly" all the while, and the cut a hole in the lid and use the jar for a penny bank! :wacko:

what if you drop the jar?

:o That's a terrible thing to say! I'd never drop crystal!

:P