Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mummified dogs uncovered in Peru

UM-Bot

news icon rArchaeologists in Peru have uncovered the mummified remains of more than 40 dogs buried with blankets and food alongside their human masters. The discovery was made during the excavation of two of the ancient Chiribaya people who lived in southern Peru between AD 900 and AD 1350.

Experts say the dogs' treatment in death indicated the belief that the animals had an afterlife. Such a status for pets has only previously been seen in ancient Egypt.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• RollingThunder06

• Raptor Witness

• Luziadus

Having just lost my dog that I had in my life for almost 16 years, this article to me is so sweet. Blankets and food. How wonderful that they showed their admiration and love for these animals even after death. No laughing please... :cry:

Wow, what a great story. It looks like a little fox, as opposed to dog, which is what the American Chihuahua is believed to have originated from. They're even breeding Chihuahua's in Cali. with fox breeds, in order to get longer ears. Chihuahua's also like to eat insects, fruits and vegetables, more so than any other breed of "dog," and this is also indicative of the fox family.

Edited by Raptor Witness

At least we see that people from ancient past were more advanced than us about animal treatment,today we see so violence to the animals that I ask to myself why that people who treats so badly the animals have to live in this world?