Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antimatter discovery could alter physics

UM-Bot

news icon rThe discovery that a bizarre particle travels between the real world of matter and the spooky realm of antimatter 3 trillion times a second may open the door to a new era of physics, Fermilab researchers announced Monday. The incredibly rapid commuting rate of the B sub s meson particle had been predicted by the Standard Model, the successful but incomplete theory aimed at explaining how matter and energy interact to form the visible universe.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Desert News

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bella-Angelique

• ShaunZero

• Mart

• John Q Conundrum

I need some help, please.

Is this connected to the subspace or the hyperspace theories?

this one?

Edited by Bella-Angelique

I need some help, please.

Is this connected to the subspace or the hyperspace theories?

this one?

That's a really good question...I'd like to know as well!

What do the 'physics buffs' here on UM think about this?

This could be a very interesting time indeed. Just think of the possibilities: Faster conventional computers (if intel integrates this new 3TeraHz particle into it snext generation of chips); It could open the door for building a stable quantum computer core; we could finally build a working model of a warp engine core...

Wow!

I am guessing from this that a warp engine would be based on using both matter and antimatter. Maybe this would help for a lot of energy solutions.

*sighs*

It's not a particle, it's two out of phase matter waves interfering with each other.

* waits patiently for the quantum physicists to eventually catch up *

Scientists have been pursuing this measurement for two decades.

Many different theoretical models of how the universe works at a fundamental level will be now be confronted with the CDF discovery. The currently popular models of supersymmetry, for example, predict a much higher transition frequency than that observed by CDF, and those models will need to be reconsidered.

Most importantly, they could also be the place in which to look for new physics beyond the Standard Model, which scientists believe is incomplete. source

British astronomer David Darling wrote convincingly in his 2005 book, "Teleportation - The Impossible Leap," that we are close to being able to teleport individual atoms and molecules - the first step toward human movement. Next would come the teleportation of macromolecules and microbes, which would eventually lead into the teleportation of humans.

How possible is this?

"If you recall, in 2005, researchers had successfully teleported beams of light across a laboratory bench, and the quantum structure of a trapped calcium ion to a second calcium ion had been teleported. Networked quantum computers are the key. They are more complex than today's commonplace, bit-oriented computers, and will be able to accomplish more complex tasks. They use quantum mechanical aspects such as "entanglement" and "superposition" to perform operations on data."

"Teleportation is going to play a major role in all our futures," Darling writes. "It will be a fundamental process at the heart of quantum computers, which will themselves radically change the world." He adds that replication of inanimate objects will also be developed through the same scientific developments. He says it is "a question of simply overcoming technical challenges," and adds that quantum computing is the "factor that changes the rules of what is and isn't possible."

Michio Kaku, the co-founder of String Field Theory, predicts this:

"The nation which dominates the world economy may be the one which masters the nano world of atomic and quantum computing. Then quantum events … will be the source of the world's wealth. The Silicon Age is coming to a close. Welcome to the Quantum Age, where even button-down bankers will have to learn the mysteries of the multiverse."

source

A Brief History of Quantum Computing

The idea of a computational device based on quantum mechanics was first explored in the 1970's and early 1980's by physicists and computer scientists such as Charles H. Bennett of the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Paul A. Benioff of Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois, David Deutsch of the University of Oxford, and the late Richard P. Feynman of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech). The idea emerged when scientists were pondering the fundamental limits of computation. They understood that if technology continued to abide by Moore's Law, then the continually shrinking size of circuitry packed onto silicon chips would eventually reach a point where individual elements would be no larger than a few atoms. Here a problem arose because at the atomic scale the physical laws that govern the behavior and properties of the circuit are inherently quantum mechanical in nature, not classical. This then raised the question of whether a new kind of computer could be devised based on the principles of quantum physics.

Feynman was among the first to attempt to provide an answer to this question by producing an abstract model in 1982 that showed how a quantum system could be used to do computations. He also explained how such a machine would be able to act as a simulator for quantum physics. In other words, a physicist would have the ability to carry out experiments in quantum physics inside a quantum mechanical computer. source

Read the full article as issued by my Colleagues at the Fermilab here

Sorry to say I am a chemist, and have little understanding of quantum physics :P

I have enough work with matter to worry about antimatter, lol.

:P There are days when balancing my checking account is a battle! The big problem for this type of research is to convince the politicians and the tax payers that these advances in Universal Understanding are worth the current costs. We are talking big ticket spending here.

The USA won't want to be second to Europe im sure. They will give the go ahead for the funding.

That cat thing on wickapedia is interesting.

I believe that the united federation of planets era (so to speak) will happen over night with the discovery of quantum computers.

I need lessons in physics to comment any further.

The USA won't want to be second to Europe im sure. They will give the go ahead for the funding.

That cat thing on wickapedia is interesting.

I believe that the united federation of planets era (so to speak) will happen over night with the discovery of quantum computers.

I need lessons in physics to comment any further.

Hmm, I want to take a physics class as well. And pile up on as much knowledge about it as I can. I love quantum physics.

I'm already jealous of the kids 20-30 years from now- imagine the toys!

Cutting edge for me was Atari 2600 & Comadore 64- and I was already in my teens!

Looks like the race is on officially then, and the stakes are a whole lot bigger than those that were for the space race.

user posted image

Would be the best for everyone if all western countries just worked together and shared the 'profits'.

Then again, America would probably rather go to war over it.

Politics.

Would be the best for everyone if all western countries just worked together and shared the 'profits'.

Then again, America would probably rather go to war over it.

Politics.

No. I think the USA has full confidence and trust in most of Europe.

There are only a few exceptions perhaps.

source

No. I think the USA has full confidence and trust in most of Europe.

There are only a few exceptions perhaps.

source

What's the exception? The guy's Dutch surname, the Romanian song or the fact that he is from New Jersey?

Edited by Mart

It was a joke, but really, I do not think a lot of people in the general population of the USA trust some European nations that seem to think that the United States is somehow the biggest threat that they face in their convoluted thinking.

The people of the USA love the Brits and the Italians, care about the Spanish and Eastern Euros, are considerate of Denmark, and that is really about it.

They are fully aware of the attitude of some that think the United States should be broken up like the Soviet Union and that these Europeans do not comprehend that this is a impossibility, but they keep agitating towards that goal anyway.

Hope, that is enough of an answer because that is as far off topic as I will go on this thread. :)