Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life span of Dinosaurs

EnglishArcher

I was wondering if there has been any scientific evidence to suggest the life span of dinosaurs. Could there a way to find out how old a dinosaur is by studying the fossils, or would it all based on guess work.

I noticed on this website how long birds can live for, i'm amazed. :o

MAMMALS YEARS

Elephant 69

Horse 50

Hippopotamus 49

Chimpanzee 40

Grizzly Bear 32

Bison 30

Lion 30

Tiger 25

Elk 22

Mountain Lion 20

Beaver 19

Wolf 16

Squirrel 16

Chipmunk 12

Cottontail 10

House Mouse 4

BIRDS YEARS

Turkey Buzzard 118

Swan 102

Parrot 80

Great Horned Owl 68

Eagle 55

English Sparrow 23

Canary 22

Humming Bird 8

REPTILES YEARS

Giant Tortoise 152

Box Turtle 123

Alligator 68

Snapping Turtle 57

Cobra 28

Cottonmouth 21

AMPHIBIANS YEARS

Giant Salamander 55

Toad 36

Bullfrog 30

Mud Puppy 23

Green Frog 10

Newt 7

FISH YEARS

Catfish 60

Eel 55

Carp 47

Mosquitofish 2

INSECTS YEARS

Cicada 17

Ant (queen) 15

Source

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roj47

• frogfish

• fantazum

• mcbrainlegend

Hmm, I'm not sure if there has been any definate research on this. I bet most of it is guesswork and theories. Wow, birds can live a long time!

Probably more difficult to date the age limit of a dino than count the rings on a tree.

Thanks for composing that list. That was fun seeing those facts. Would imagine dinosaurs would be guess work. I don't even remember reading about any life spans for them.

If you are under the belief of the lochness monster then...... 65 mill years?

The alligator age is based on a captive specimen but based on the sizes of the really big ones, many scientist believe they can live well over 100 years. Dinos and Crocs are both archosaurs and seem to have similar physiologies. I imagine the larger species of dinos could also live over 100 years. I believe you can actually tell by growth rings on the larger bones, much like trees.

Edited by draconic chronicler

The alligator age is based on a captive specimen but based on the sizes of the really big ones, many scientist believe they can live well over 100 years. Dinos and Crocs are both archosaurs and seem to have similar physiologies. I imagine the larger species of dinos could also live over 100 years. I believe you can actually tell by growth rings on the larger bones, much like trees.

Admittedly there is no way to prove right or wrong on answers.

The larger dinos..... I couldn't imagine living too long due to being an easy target for predators.

The environment they lived in was very dynamic and constantly at war if you will.

Again this could be very wrong, but likewise sea creatures I could imagine living 100+

Ummm.... Mr Contradiction enters the room :w00t:

I would say since dinos are close reletives to birds and crocs they could have had long life spans. Its possible they could have lived to be over a 100. Also I beleave the larger dinos could live very long lives. Roj47 l you said there size made them a good target. Well ownly for a time. Eventually they would have out grown any predator. Most large soropad dinos go very big. There size was there deffense. Then again this is all just theory and congecture. No one can accurately date something like that. So its all just speculation.

Thanks for composing that list. That was fun seeing those facts. Would imagine dinosaurs would be guess work. I don't even remember reading about any life spans for them.

I've read estimates from 20 to 1000

I think maybe 200 for the carnivores, slightly longer for large sauropods.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if there has been any scientific evidence to suggest the life span of dinosaurs. Could there a way to find out how old a dinosaur is by studying the fossils, or would it all based on guess work.

I noticed on this website how long birds can live for, i'm amazed. :o

MAMMALS YEARS

Elephant 69

Horse 50

Hippopotamus 49

Chimpanzee 40

Grizzly Bear 32

Bison 30

Lion 30

Tiger 25

Elk 22

Mountain Lion 20

Beaver 19

Wolf 16

Squirrel 16

Chipmunk 12

Cottontail 10

House Mouse 4

BIRDS YEARS

Turkey Buzzard 118

Swan 102

Parrot 80

Great Horned Owl 68

Eagle 55

English Sparrow 23

Canary 22

Humming Bird 8

REPTILES YEARS

Giant Tortoise 152

Box Turtle 123

Alligator 68

Snapping Turtle 57

Cobra 28

Cottonmouth 21

AMPHIBIANS YEARS

Giant Salamander 55

Toad 36

Bullfrog 30

Mud Puppy 23

Green Frog 10

Newt 7

FISH YEARS

Catfish 60

Eel 55

Carp 47

Mosquitofish 2

INSECTS YEARS

Cicada 17

Ant (queen) 15

Source

Thanks for posting the stats. Very informative.

I once lived in South America and became quite familiar with a type of Turkey Vulture which according to local legend could live to a very great age. They were reputed to become more intelligent the older they got and I got the chance to observe them in the wild for some time. They do become more intelligent the older they get. They develop a guile and cunningness that is quite astounding. The older birds are impossible to hunt either with trap or gun. They can spot a hunter either human or animal from a mile away and they develop an acute sense of danger. The younger birds will harry a sick or dying animal while the older birds will not, but rather mark the location of the dying beast before continuing to forage for other sources of food, occasionally returning to the marked beast in order to check on its condition. Around human habitats the older turkey vulture can develop methods of stealing food that is not only very humorous but deftly skillful. They have the patience of Job and will watch a house all day considering various means with which to rob it.

• 2 weeks later...

the larger ones probably live a long time, probably more than 50 years

The problem with the smaller ones is that most of them were eaten before they could die of old age :rolleyes:

Wasnt it recently discovered that some whales (specificaly baleen whales) can live upwards of 200 years?

I rememeber reading something about that a while back. I wish I could find that article. Does anyone have any information on that?

if a t-rex lived up to 100+ years :o thats a lot of food. :w00t:

i "think(guessing)" if these giant did lived up to those ages, then they would have a serious food shortage problems, no??? i'd imagine a single t-rex, living up to 100+years, could put a tremendous chunck out of local food popultion. how long could they provide that supply and demand???

just curious???