Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus Is Back, and She's Chinese

Irish

A bizarre religious sect is preying on China's rural Christian congregations

By MATTHEW FORNEY Dengfeng

A fast-spreading sect named Lightning from the East (Church of Almighty God) is alarming Christian communities across China by winning large numbers of converts to its unorthodox tenets, often by abducting potential believers. Its followers, who say they number 300,000 but whom observers measure in the tens of thousands, believe that Jesus has returned as a plain-looking, 30-year-old Chinese woman who lives in hiding and has never been photographed. They credit her with composing a third testament to the Bible, writing enough hymns to fill 10 CDs and teaching that Christians who join her will ascend to heaven in the coming apocalypse. They see signs of doom everywhere, from the perfidy of Communist Party propaganda to anthrax spores in the U.S. postal system. According to one of the group's Chinese leaders who uses the alias "Peter" and moved to New York City last year, "The judgment is ongoing in China and will expand through the world."

The sect—which calls itself "the con-gregation"—operates deep underground. A two-year police campaign against it and other so-called "evil cults," such as Falun Gong, has put 2,000 of its followers in jail, say its spokesmen. Yet by targeting Christian believers it is flourishing—even though its belief that the female Jesus has updated the Bible for China violates core Christian tenets. The appeal seems to be the group's claim to have improved the Christian faith by putting the end of the world into a Chinese context and offering believers a path to immediate salvation. Official Christian churches, by contrast, downplay the Final Judgment, emphasizing instead codes of behavior. That, plus the sect's insistence that China is "disintegrating from within," appeals to peasants, many of whom are poorly grounded in Christian principles and are angry at a government that has failed to raise their incomes or curb corruption.

Source:Time on line

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• exeller

• AtlantisRises

• jagerthorn

people are really going crazy with this whole jesus is coming back thing, i mean at first i didnt mind, but now every where you turn someone is claiming jesus is already here, or will be here within a year, everyone is screaming about judgement day coming in the next decade, its really starting to make me mad, i say we let them believe that Jesus is back and in china, i mean if they want to believe that, who are we to say they cant.... just as long as they dont start going door to door....if that happened i might have to bring out the guns......

It is terrible that people can play on peoples emotions and possibly lead them to do or believe things they normally wouldn't.

If they wanna think Jesus is back, thats fine. But what about the jews, who think the true Messiah hasnt even arrived in the first place? Its all subjective. As long as no one is brewing up large quantities of electric Kool-Aide, or waging crusades to convert the heathens, I see no harm in another cult.

Oh yeah? And what if Jesus came back Irish? What then? He'd be ten pints up at the pub be'fir ye knew it.

*sinckers*

A bizarre religious sect is preying on China's rural Christian congregations

42 is the meaning of life, 42 in Chinese is spare ribs with barbecue sauce, eve was made from adams spare rib it all make's sense to me, i've started writing an in depth book on the subject this morning, it'll be ready by lunch time $19.99 don't miss out, it's going to be a limited edition of 3,000,000 copies, if you order before 5 pm you'll get my other book "Is crispy duck sinful" for just $9.99.

Mmm spare ribs...

I remember this one guy who came to UM claiming to be Jesus about a year ago...forget the name...

good times :P

Im taking a guess but was it Jesus :D

I remember this one guy who came to UM claiming to be Jesus about a year ago...forget the name...

good times :P

OH YEAH! I remember him. X) Good times.

I guess this is fair game up here because well the Forum Leader even put a ticked off face in the thread title instead of respecting the belief. So I'm going to take that as a sign this is open for all opinions. :tu:

It is terrible that people can play on peoples emotions and possibly lead them to do or believe things they normally wouldn't.

Yes, religion is terrible like that. A cult is merely a religion without enough people to call it a religion. :tu:

This claim of this women is Jesus is just like the Christians claiming Jesus was some god like being. :yes:

I guess this is fair game up here because well the Forum Leader even put a ticked off face in the thread title instead of respecting the belief. So I'm going to take that as a sign this is open for all opinions. :tu:

Yes, religion is terrible like that. A cult is merely a religion without enough people to call it a religion. :tu:

This claim of this women is Jesus is just like the Christians claiming Jesus was some god like being. :yes:

So your saying she is jesus then?

So your saying she is jesus then?

Hey... Why not?

Personally, I think Christians are made as hell at this 'cult' is because Jesus is now a woman. :o I mean, surely women aren't equal to men nor are they worthy enough in the Christian world. :rolleyes:

People also aren't buying this because she is also chinese...people think that jesus is going to be a 6 foot tall skinny white guy with a beard and white robe.

People also think that Jesus wil just come down from heaven and not be reborn.

Which is funny because Jesus wasn't a tall skinny white guy to begin with!

She's not Jesus, because Jesus knows that there's not going to be an apocolypse.

Which is funny because Jesus wasn't a tall skinny white guy to begin with!

Actually, she's probably more white than he was! :w00t:

I guess we will know when we wake up one morning and all the Christians are gone.

Darkwind dances naked on the beach, any one want to join him. :devil:

:lol:

Well if she IS JC, she better be really good at that loaves and fishes trick, cuz an hour later everyone is gonna be hungry again

Well first of all she can't be jesus christ reincarnated because christ means annointed male sperm descendant of king david, and second of all, when jesus does return itll be at a time of chrisis like during or after world war 3. But a chinese lady :lol:

Well first of all she can't be jesus christ reincarnated because christ means annointed male sperm descendant of king david, and second of all, when jesus does return itll be at a time of chrisis like during or after world war 3. But a chinese lady :lol:

Jesus is like an almight god though... It can do what it wants. If Jesus wants to be female, who's to say Jesus is wrong?

Jesus is like an almight god though... It can do what it wants. If Jesus wants to be female, who's to say Jesus is wrong?

All the Christians who have there own opinion of who and what Jesus will be.

Personally i think that were Jesus to arise there wouldn't be many Christians who Recognised him.

Hell maybe she is Jesus and in that case all you people on here who aren't following her are all going to hell.