Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Superstitions

Nxt2Hvn

Here are a couple of my favorite....

If you dream of death it's a sign of a birth, if you dream of birth, it's a sign of death.

If you touch a loved one who has died, you won't have dreams about them

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnimangaBloodThorn

• man_in_mudboots

• PurpleStuart

• crosswarrior

I've always been fond of the superstition surrounding the play Macbeth. In theater troups, it's refered to as "the Scottish play" or "that play" because it's believed saying the real name will bring really bad luck to a theater's next production. Bad luck as in, somebody involved with the play will die. Ah, I love the theater...

I still follow the old magpie rhyme its said if you see the number of magpie in a group the following is reflected in your day:

1 for sorrow

2 for joy

3 for a girl

4 for a boy

5 for silver

6 for gold

7 for a secret never to be told

Hasn't failed me yet >_>

• 4 weeks later...

BA - it's a bit pessimistic that one as most of the time you only see one!

I've always liked the magpie one too. Except, I always thought it was for sneezes blush.gif

And I quite often sneeze in twos so it was all good cool.gif

I love the Magpie superstition, and you shouldn't never really just see the one, that's why it's unlucky, as Magpies are known for staying in pairs, you never see one without the other. So always look for its mate if you see a MAgpie alone! It shouldn't be far off!

8 for a wish

9 for a kiss

10 for a bird you must not miss!

I love all the superstitions, I'll never walk under a ladder and I take extra care on Friday 13th! I've never had a black cat cross my path before so I'm lucky there wink2.gif

Oh and I will still never look into a mirror and say 'CANDYMAN' three times! scared.gif

Hi!

I don't think I'm superstitios... Not much..

I had an exam on friday 13th! But I got the best grade!!

So maybe friday 13th is good for me.

Mine are pretty stereotypical. Being a performer most of my life, the phrase “Break a leg” was used quite often prior to a performance.

When it comes to some lucky situation that has presented itself, the phase “knock on wood” is exclaimed quite often. But I usually find myself knocking on my head more than wood itself…

Funnily enough, I did the exact same thing the other day when I was asking a guy when the release date for the next expansion back for NWN was...he said "Friday the 28th...but it might be pushed back, so knock on wood."

I knocked on my head huh.gif ....and waddaya know, it was pushed back crying.gif

Oh, I forgot that one! "Knock on wood"

In Norway we say "Bank i bordet" Wich means somethig like "knock on the table" I guess it originated from "knock on wood".

Must say I never realised how often I was superstitious before becoming a waitress ,now when I spill the salt it's automatic to pinch it with my right hand and throw it over my left shoulder ,and into the eyes of the devil or so the superstition goes and I never ever mention the fact I've gone a while without breaking a plate/cup dish of some kind with out touching wood immediately afterwards ..

and I allways make sure I'm wearing my lucky sock's before going to work thumbsup.gif

But I usually find myself knocking on my head more than wood itself…

Same here! I'm constantly doing that like it's a habit. The fact that that phrase is used in my house a lot doesn't help me break the habit tho huh.gif

I've always been fond of the black cat superstition, but I beleive that it gives you good luck instead of bad. grin2.gif

Cya!

Has to be the Candyman trtick,sit in the dark in the bathroom,look into the mirror and repeat Candyman five times.No bloody way thank you very much. scared.gif

What's the deal with the candyman? I always heard of him and everything...but what does he do? Does he do the same thing as Bloody Mary?

I've heard many things on Bloody Mary, a few are :

1) She rips your face off with her teeth

2) She stratches your face up

3) She pulls you into the mirror with her

Does Candyman do any of those things?Just wondering.

Cya!

Doesn't candyman come and kill you with his hook hands?

I think they're both sily things to believe.....but that doesn't mean I have the guts to try. dontgetit.gif

but that doesn't mean I have the guts to try. dontgetit.gif

I don't find myself blaming you. wink2.gif

Hm, I'm rather interested. Must go look up stuff. I'll report back later!

Cya!

~*~

Okay, I've looked up on some stuff. Couldn't find to much though, half of the sites were about the movie disgust.gif Well anyway, here's what I came up with.

Legend tells it that the alleged Candyman was a slave who was a good artist. His master ordered him to paint of portrait of his daughter. The slave and his master's daughter fell in love. The daughter became prergnant with the slave's baby. Of course, the father hated this and when he found out he rounded up some friends and they set out to kill the slave.

The chased him down and when the finally caught him, they cut his right hand off with a rusty blade. They proceeded to rub honey all over him and throw him near a bee-hive. One of the men threw down a mirror, so he could watch himself being stung to death. His spirit was caught in the mirror when he died.

Now they say that if you repeat Candyman five times in front of a mirror, he will show up standing behind you with a hook replacing his severed hand. He will also have bees swarming around his head.

There are a few different stories of what he does next

1) Nothing

2) He attacks you with his hook

3) He allows the bees to attack you

and a few more, but those were the most common I read about.

Has anyone heard any variations of this? Or anything else about the Candyman? I'd like to know, thanks.

Cya!

I've always heard if you tell your dream before eating anything in the morning,it will come true....so,no one in my family tells theirs until after breakfast.(unless it's a good dream)

I'm a bit confused with the black cat superstition, is it if a black cat crosses your path then its going to bring you bad luck or is it if a black cat walks away from you its taking your luck and if one walks towards you its bring you luck

My favorite would have to be , you wear your ring on your left ring finger because there is a vein that goes from that finger to you heart( highly untrue but still kinda neat) tongue.gif

if a black cat crosses your path then its going to bring you bad luck

I think that's what it's supposed to be.

But I'm weird, so I just changed it around.

Cya!

The black cat one is a little weird...sometimes people think the cat is bad luck, and some people think it's good luck.

The good luck idea came from the idea that black cats were witches familiars, and if one crossed your path without noticing you, then it meant you had passed under the notice of the witch, and good times were to be had tongue.gif

On a sidenote, I also would never try the candyman thing...I'll admit, I don't honestly believe it...but...just one of those 'just in case' scenarios dontgetit.gif

I've never tried the candyman one either I dont even like looking into mirrors when the lights are off just incase I get tempted Im going to try it one day though. Has anyone ever tried canadyman or the other one with the chick?

Has anyone ever tried canadyman or the other one with the chick?

I've done "the one with the chick" aka Bloody Mary up at my cousins. It seems like all the weird stuff that happens to me happens up there, blink.gif

Well, anyway we held hands, spun around in a circle, and chanted "Bloody Mary" nothing happened. After nothing happened we sat in her kitchen, which has a door to the bathroom we chanted Bloody Mary in. I was facing the bathroom, my cousin was looking at me. I could have sworn I saw a large black shadow (a shadow person) walk out of the bathroom.

I ran out of the house. My cousin ran with me, but she had no clue what was going on.

I think it was just my imagination, not anything paranormal or anything as a result of chanting Bloody Mary, but I was caught up in the moment , lol.

Well, that was the last time I done Bloody Mary. I had done it once before with two older girls in a public bathroom, and the doors started swinging back and forth. But the more I think about that, the more I think it was a trick to scare me.

I dont even like looking into mirrors when the lights are off just incase I get tempted Im going to try it one day

I don't have that kind of luck to never be anywhere in the dark with a mirror. I have a waterbed that has one of those fancy headboards with a mirror in the middle. Have to turn the lights off to sleep, ya know?

Cya!

Looking into mirrors at night scare me. All goulies come out at night.

You never know when one aforementioned goulie will pop up up behind you and scare you poopless dontgetit.gifscared.gif

I always bless a dark building before I enter it alone. Can't hurt.

Looking into mirrors at night scare me.

Mirrors at night get to me too...34 years old and I still fall for that one...I don't think that is so much a superstition as it is a phobia...