Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Superstitions

Nxt2Hvn

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnimangaBloodThorn

• man_in_mudboots

• PurpleStuart

• crosswarrior

Why Krow? We all have supperstions. I think it maybe that we somehow really do believe that we are not alone. that there are other things out there besides us.

The classical dream that you are falling,but never seem to hit the ground,but if you do you die in real life,not true.Iv hit the ground on many an occasion,ok so i dont get up in the dream,but im not dead....am i scared.gif

"AM I DEAD TEST"

1. Can you pass through doors or other stuff?

2. Do you have to sleep in a coffin during the day?

3. Can you not stand to be near a crucifix?

4.Are You some what invisable?

If you answered yes to these qeustions you might just be dead. blink.gif

really depends on whether the doors open now doesnt it. tongue.gif

Now why would i do that,when i have a bed?

Im rather fond of crucifixes.

In some instances,it would appear so.

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Oh man. I just picked myself off the floor. I loved your response.

My friend (from jr high) was a great (and probably still- I'm not sure) superstitios person she told me one that if you (for example) walked under a ladder to get rid of the badluck was to go around eightimes counterclock wise. That was supposed to get rid of the unwanted badluck. happy.gif

I follow the superstition of not walking under ladders and I did that eight circle thingy in Jr. High. Don't ask. rolleyes.gifblush.gif I don't walk under ladders because something might bash me on the head or something.

I think that maybe supersitions are just a form of OCD (over-compulsive disorder). I mean think about it.

• 3 weeks later...

some superstitions i have heard.....

never point at a rainbow

turn your money in your purse when theres a new moon

if you tempt fate always touch something wood after you said it, just incase

walking on cracks in the pavement

no new shoes on a table

never wash clothes on new years day, you might wash one of the family away

never wash clothes on new years day, you might wash one of the family away.

Or throw any rubbish out of the door way or sweep the house on New Years day...

I have always done that... and when I have lived with friends or Boyfriends etc.. I always do the same.. so much so that my ex still does no housework onthe 1st of Jan neither does his mum etc and the rubbish is put in black bags to go out after midnite on the 2nd of Jan...

Either that or it's a good excuse not to disturb too many hangovers devil.gifthumbsup.gif

I had to try this.....

AM I DEAD TEST"

is there something worth looking at one the other side?

no but I like my bed it's just a coincedence that my bedroom has blackout curtains

If they are badly made with cheap metal yes!!!

Can you see me now????

If you answered yes to these qeustions you might just be dead[/color] notice they said might....but then I know I'm dead...

post-14-1073085671.jpg

Edited by Celticwitch

find a penny pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck...

I wonder not so much what the superstitions are... there are hundreds... but where they came from...

Like walking under a ladder... kinda obvious one, someone might drop something on your head!

I think I understand the black cat one, the one I heard is it's bad luck to have a black cat cross your path... but really, I've had dozens and dozens and dozens of black cats cross my path and I think if anything it's brought me good luck. But yeah I think it came from the witches familiar thing...

I've done Bloody Mary alone, nothing happend. I only heard about Candyman after the movie came out, so I never tried it... just thought it was a movie gimmik.

But! I am kinda spooked to look into a mirror at night with the lights off now. Not as brave as when I was a teenager.

Knock on wood... I knock on my head too. But that knock on wood seems pretty common... wonder where it came from?

In highschool we used to touch a screw in the car when we went over railroad tracks, or touch the roof of the car once when you run a yellow light and twice if you run a red light so you won't get caught.

Or, when I open a fresh pack of cigaretts sometimes I still flip the first cig I pull out and stick it back in upsidedown to be smoked last for luck.

pinch of spilled salt over left shoulder...

What about all those itches?

If your nose itches someone's coming over

if your right hand itches something bad's gonna happen but if the left hand itches you're going to get money...

if your ear itches someone's talking about you... left bad right good or something...

How about breaking a mirror for 7 years bad luck!

Or what was that other one?... if you see a wild lilly growing then someone innocent died in that spot?

Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings? hehe...

Ummm....

Ordering an extra drink at a gambling table and not drinking it... it's for lady luck.

4 leaf clovers!

A watched pot never boils over...

Rabbits feet...

Wishbones on Thanksgiving... or even birthday wishes and falling star wishes and wishing well wishes...

something borrowed, something new... something something... for weddings...

Ummm... sometimes I cross my fingers for luck...

Geez there's hundreds of em...

• 3 weeks later...

My personal fav superstition is the one when your with your loved one not to spit a post cause it causes bad luck between the two of you

All I know about Candyman is from Wes Craven's horror flick & Bloody Mary sounds alot like Mary Black who haunted my grade school bathroom. Legend had it if you went in shut off the light & repeated "I don't believe in Mary Black" 5 times, she would scratch your face. However if you repeated "I don't believe in John Black" 5 times you would die. Hubby heard that if you looked into the darkened mirror in the bathroom that you would see a family memeber that has died.

Dot9M ohmy.gif

If your nose itches someone's coming over....

If your nose itches you will kiss a fool.

Dot9M

• 2 weeks later...

i tried the bloody mary one cause i really wanted something to happen, luckly for over confident me, nothing did! whether i wanted it to happen or not i wud've p***ed myself! never tried candyman, wanna one day try but i a bit spooked after reading the last few posts... scared.gif

Like walking under a ladder... kinda obvious one, someone might drop something on your head!

Knock on wood... I knock on my head too. But that knock on wood seems pretty common... wonder where it came from?

I've heard that the ladder one is because when a ladder is leaning up against a wall it forms a triangle with the ground and the wall. Triangle = holy trinity ? therefore if you walk under the ladder you break the trinity.

The wood one goes back a long way, can't remember the finite details but it stems from a belief that your ancestors souls are contained within trees, touching the tree puts you in contact with your ancestor for good luck.

thumbsup.gif

naah if you walk under a ladder someone might drop a bucket on your head - that would be unlucky laugh.gif

Celti - i dunno about you but normally on New Years day i'm still too busy partying to take out any rubish or do any house work, so i'm safe with that one grin2.gif

I don't usually believe in fortune cookies and all that stuff.

I remember I was at FAO Schwartz, the ultra expensive toy store in Mid town Manhattan, they had this Hello Kitty display where you put in a penny and you get a fortune from Hello Kitty (who had a crystal ball in front of her). My fortune read: You are going to get a BIG SURPRISE!

Well, I headed over to Central Park, got to Sheep Meadow....there was a bunch of guys playing volleyball nearby and the ball went flying and WHAM....landed smack on the top of my head! disgust.gif

Classic!

I guess I got my surprise! w00t.gif

If your nose itches someone's coming over

if your right hand itches something bad's gonna happen but if the left hand itches you're going to get money...

if your ear itches someone's talking about you... left bad right good or something..

Rabbits feet...

not lucky for the rabbit laugh.gif

I thought that if your right hand itches, it means you will meet someone soon (shake hands); and if its the left hand, you will get money.

original.gif

i dont believe in any superstitions, fortuanant since its a sacrelige, but i have always been fond of the bloody mary myth. if yall are curious, it comes from bloody mary, an evil queen of england, called "bloody" because of her fondness of torturing peasants. she was tracked by a deamon, bent on bringing her to hell, which she completelydeserved (not kill her, bring her to hell, yeah theres a differance). of course she couldnt escape from a deamon, so she jumps into a lake because shes half crazy with fear. the deamon is afraid of water, so drains the lake to get at her. she drowns in the lake just as the deamon is in the process of bringing her eternal damnation, so she is trapped in the world behind reflective surfaces(mirrors, pools, ect) forever.

interesting, that. After a few bloody marys , Moe also begins to see wierd things. blink.gif

the bloody mary myth. ............... so she is trapped in the world behind reflective surfaces(mirrors, pools, ect) forever.

thumbsup.gif cool myth thumbsup.gif

Dot9M