Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Superstitions

Nxt2Hvn

Yes! That is sweeet background on the bloody mary thing. Cool. Cool. Cool. Thank you for posting that!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnimangaBloodThorn

• man_in_mudboots

• PurpleStuart

• crosswarrior

My favourite daft superstition is in the part of scotland where i come from people say that if there are three stanks in a row then it bad luck to stand on them tongue.gif

so she is trapped in the world behind reflective surfaces(mirrors, pools, ect) forever.

Ah, finally! I've been searching around for a good reason on why she was trapped in a mirror. Thankyous so much.

I've heard a few, but I like this one much better. grin2.gif

Cya!

...it comes from bloody mary, an evil queen of england, called "bloody" because of her fondness of torturing peasants.

I can't let that pass. There was nothing particularly 'evil' about Mary Tudor given the context and circumstances of the times. And she certainly didn't have any particular fondness for 'torturing peasants'. Certainly not any more fondness than torturing Anglicans at any rate. (And she actually died peacefully in bed).

Here's a good link to this curious lady - Mary Tudor

As to my favourite superstition - more of a guideline really - it's born of the occasion when I had too much to drink on holiday somewhere in the rural south of Turkey, and I managed to fall 10 feet straight down while trying to get to the lavatory. It runs like this:

Beer and wine makes you feel fine...

But wine and beer makes you forget you're staying in a treehouse.

My favourite daft superstition is in the part of scotland where i come from people say that if there are three stanks in a row then it bad luck to stand on them

three stanks? whats a stank?

...it comes from bloody mary, an evil queen of england, called "bloody" because of her fondness of torturing peasants.
I can't let that pass. There was nothing particularly 'evil' about Mary Tudor given the context and circumstances of the times. And she certainly didn't have any particular fondness for 'torturing peasants'.

how do you know its Mary Tudor (whoever she is)? it could be any Mary, queen of england, or a Mary that didnt even exist.

Empty Cooky = hungry

I always turn 3 times before leaving the bathroom. huh.gif

how do you know its Mary Tudor (whoever she is)? it could be any Mary, queen of england, or a Mary that didnt even exist.

m.i.m..........there has only been one English Queen who has been known as "Bloody Mary" ie: Mary Tudor. However as Aslan has already pointed out she has absolutely nothing to do with the Bloody Mary of the legend.

This honour belongs to a "witch" called Mary Worth

thumbsup.gif

I also hate the broken mirror=7 years of bad luck. If that was true, then i would have bad luck all my life (can't remember how many mirrors i've broken so far) laugh.gif

I can't let that pass. There was nothing particularly 'evil' about Mary Tudor given the context and circumstances of the times. And she certainly didn't have any particular fondness for 'torturing peasants'.

neither was she chased by a deamon, aslan. by no means is this a historical account. it is, after all, a suprestition. duh.

Well done, Manboots.

It took you a mere 12 days to cook up with that witty throwback. I am indeed humbled.

dontgetit.gif

Well done, Mudboots. It took you a mere 12 days to cook up with that witty throwback. I am indeed humbled.

yeah, like i always say, your burned me now, but come back a week from now, and ill have a stinging retort. youll be burnt then, i promise!

my bf tells me off cos i am too superstitious

black cat crossing path= good luck

doubles back the way it came= bad luck

knock on wood twice to get the demons attention, three times calls it.

hold breath past a cemetary, plus touch the roof of the car/vehicle you are in

don't cross under a path of a ladder

dont buy knives for a gift for a person (cutting the ties of friendship)

throwing a pinch of salt over shoulder if some has been spilt

dont open and close scissors unless actually cutting with them

weddings the person who buys the first thing for the house will handle all monies

the new bride must enter her home by the main door, and must not trip or fall - hence the custom of carrying the bride over the threshold.

never take a broom along when you move. throw it out and buy a new one.

if your hand foot is itchy someome who loves you is thinking about you, if your right hand is itchy, money is coming your way

if a cat is looking out a window, it means rain is coming (also if it washes behind its ears)

badluck to have a peacock feather in your house

it's bad luck to open an umbrella inside the house, especially if you put it over your head.

a bride's veil protects her from evil spirits who are jealous of happy people., but it is also the reason why their are bridesmaids, so the evil spirits are confused as to who is the bride

All windows should be opened at the moment of death so that the soul can leave, but especially in the room the death occured

i don't particularly believe in the seven years bad luck, with the breaking of a mirror tho, seven is universally pretty much a lucky number

• 2 weeks later...

A SuperStition- God- a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation. 2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

do you really want to turn this into a religious debate ? huh.gif God is something that is simply unproven , and their are quite a few university graduates who believe in him . I found your post somewhat arrogant .

do you really want to turn this into a religious debate ?

A debate, there is nothing to debate about; besides they prove fruitless anyway. Sounds like you want a debate but then, you just told me its something that cant be proven, so whats to debate about? Your going to try to prove he exist when you just told me there is no evidence for it, and it cant be proven? You just agreed that there is no room for a debate. If there was a debate it would be fruitless,useless, and unbenefitiant.

God is something that is simply unproven

Now your inferring that he or it does exist, but is just unproven.

But, it seems to fit the definition to me...A superstition, 2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary.

and their are quite a few university graduates who believe in him

It seems as if your speaking in terms that if the majority believe it, it must be true.

I found your post somewhat arrogant .

(Yea, I figured that laughing face would stimulate someone)

Basically, Im just making a post. It asked whats your favorite superstitions, and I answered.

Edited by TheNeutralBuddhist

Where I was brought up, (British East Midlands), we said;

One for Sorrow,

Two's for Mirth,

Three's a Wedding,

Fourth's a Birth,

Five is Silver,

Six is Gold,

Seven's a Secret,

Never to be told,

Eight's a Wish,

Nine a Kiss,

& Ten the Bird you must not Miss,

For ten's the bird to grant the Wish.

The boy/girl version was so changed to fit the title pictures of the 70's kids' programme of the same name.