Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Toyol

Ashyne

A Toyol is a mythical spirit in the Malay mythology of South-East Asia (notably Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore). It is a small child spirit invoked by a bomoh (Malay witch doctor) from a dead human foetus using black magic. It is possible to buy a toyol from such a bomoh.

Some say that toyol has its orgins from Mecca near the Kaaba (the belief refers to the Pre-Islamic Era where the Arabs used to killed their children and buried them all around Mecca. Others claimed that there is a place in the Masjid Al-Haram where Djinns (genies) reside and toyol is the baby genie.

A person who owns a toyol uses it mainly to steal things from other people, or to do mischief. According to a well-known superstition, if money or jewellery keeps disappearing mysteriously from your house, a toyol might be responsible. One way to ward off a toyol is to place some needles under your money, for toyols are afraid of being hurt by needles.

Appearance

People normally associates toyol with a small baby, frequently that of a newly born baby walking in nakedness with a big head, large claws for hands, red eyes and sometimes green skin but most accurately it resembles the look of a goblin. It cannot be seen by the naked eye but in certain methods one can have the oppotunity.

the acclaimed figure of toyolInvoking a Toyol

Keeping a toyol has its price. In essence, the spirit is that of a still-born (or aborted) child, and its temperament reflects this.

According to most Asian practices and beliefs, the afterlife of a person is taken care of by the family, in the form of a tablet. It is usually made of wood, with the name of the deceased engraved. A collection of tablets at an elaborate family altar is a typical item in a large (and often wealthy) family. Following the same principle, the master of the toyol keeps its tablet and cares for it. He must feed it with a few drops of his blood everyday, usually through his thumb or big toe. In addition, it requires certain coaxing and attention, along with offerings. Such offerings might include candy and toys, for the toyol is essentially a child and must be kept happily entertained.

Tasks

In old village tales, people keep toyols for selfish but petty gains. They use such spirits for theft, sabotage and other minor crimes. Serious crimes, like murder, are usually beyond the capability of these toyols. A person who suddenly becomes wealthy without explanation might be suspected of keeping a toyol.According to another story, a toyol must be fed with blood from a rooster. The toyol is kept in a jar or an urn, and hidden away in a dark place until needed.

toyol in the bottleWhat happens at the end of the "contract" is not very clear. It could be that the tablet, along with the urn, is buried in a graveyard (with the relevant rituals), and the spirit then laid to rest. Or else, a toyol gets passed down in a family through the generations. This seems to suggest that once you obtain a toyol, not only are you stuck with it for the rest of your life, but all your descendents will also be condemned to own it.

Weaknesses

Seen as cunning toyol is not meant to be a clever boy. It is said that toyol is easily deceived by crabs, frogs and strands of garlic hanging on the door post or placed on certain parts of the house. Toyol will start playing with these items until it forgets its task at the intended victim's house.

The Chinese name for the toyol is gu zai (literally "ghost child"). The corresponding term in the Hokkien dialect is kwee kia.

Toyol on Wikipedia

[PS: In my country, Singapore, there are cases where criminals use toyols to steal items, but when these criminals are caught and locked up in the cell, the toyol comes to find them, feeding on their blood because since the criminals are not at home, they cannot feed the toyol the blood they require, so the toyol feasts on its master instead.]

Edited by Ashiene

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• Ashyne

• Lady Warrior Ravynwynn

• NoahJaymes

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

that's an eerie little story there :blink: Interesting though.

Reminds me of the Jenglot story, or of the Kodamas from Princess Mononoke (although they're wood spirits, and not not as insidious).

RKD

Edited by Roadkill Demon

That's creepy.

But I consider all children demons.

my daughter is a highly opinionated screeching one, today...I have to find the duct tape.

Love reading about beliefs like this. Great post Ashiene.

That was really interesting in a freaky kinda way, having deceased children to steal for you. I wonder how these kind of stories evolve in different cultures.

this toyol is very closely related to the Pontianak creature i mentioned about in my other topic (except that Pontianak is a vampire seductress who kills pregnant women)

this toyol is very closely related to the Pontianak creature i mentioned about in my other topic (except that Pontianak is a vampire seductress who kills pregnant women)

So not very related at all then? :huh::lol: J/k

A garlic and vampire story showing up in Asia is very interesting. Perhaps once long ago rubbing garlic on skin as an antiseptic was a common practice across parts of the world.

Creepy....That would make a great bedtime story hehe

I think I'm happy to hang onto nessie and err naughty kelpies and stuff.... :D