Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

migraines and the paranormal?

Niamh

I have had migraine all my life and also sleep paralysis, lucid dreams etc. I don't know the connections with migraine. I try to eat right to avoid headaches and also take pain relievers in time. They have to be taken in time, very fast when the first vision attacks occur.

First, I'd like to say I really like this forum, even if I don't necessarily post all that much and I'm a newbie.

But, about my experience/question(please move if this is not the right spot): I get migraines. However, they aren't regular migraines. I don't get auras, medicines do not work, and they seem to have little or no warning. I also get weird smells and tastes in my mouth when I get them and frequently have very vivid, "waking" dreams if you will when I have them. I have had these from a very young age--originally abdominal migraines, same weird issues, they just migrated upward. These odd dreams I have frequently occur before something nasty happens in my life or the outside world, though they don't seem to be "visions" or anything. They have also inspired all the best creative works(I write) I've come up with and frequently cause those around me to feel like crap also.

I probably sound like a super-nut or a huge idiot, since I'm not the most informed on this topc, but I'd really like to do some reading on it or discuss it with people. Or, even better, find someone who has the same issue. Thanks to those who read it and hopefully I can get some good information!

It is not uncommon for visual hallucinations to precede migraines - when I have one coming, I see a flashing ligh out of the corner of my eye sometimes... So, personally, I would argue that ghosts are not the cause of migraines, but that migraines are the cause of the ghosts...

I JUST read an artical about the connection between migrains and precognition and other paranormal activitie. I can't remember where right now but if I do I will post it.

I started getting migrains in kindergarden. I remember the blurry vision, vomiting and screaming "there's no place like home" till I passed out. It was terrifiying for a child!

I worry about my kids now b/c I read that it is hereditary but so far so good.

I can control them by avoiding certain foods, but if I get upset enough to cry I know I will get one, and if I go to a movie theater I know I will have one by the end of the movie. Church oddly enough will without fail give me a migrain. I don't know why that is b/c It is generally quiet and peacefull but i know If I go I will pay for it as soon as it is over.

Everything you all are posting is hitting so close to home. I thought I was crazy, with being unable to identify common objects through the pain and painfull thoughts, hallusinations, the upside for me was when I get over one I am high. I don't do drugs but when I get over a migrain I can't imagine the best drug feeling better than that. It is like life is perfect. I am brand new and smart. I compare it to a high I got from hydrocodon after my root canal.

I was reading my journal from a few years ago and I wrote positivly about migrain because of the after high. I am not sure I agree with myself now...

Anyways I am rambling on I don't know if my experiances will help you at all but I know exactly what you mean though.

Also I was on topomax for a while. It worked well but I got off to get preg. It has serius side effects as well. I would get on it again if I am ever unable to control the migrains on some level.

• 8 years later...

Hey guys, I came across this discussion board when I was researching optical migraines. I have some information that you might want to hear about.

Two very strange things happen to me all the time, one of them is optical migraines, the other is an experience known as uncreated light. I had often thought that they may be related, I think I was right.

To explain, uncreated light happens when you meditate with your mind completely silent searching for God. When you reach this state you fell like your floating, have no pain or fear and generally the best feelings you could ever experience. So I began to look into this experience in history and came across a famous painting (the one below). It's not Mary, the woman is experiencing uncreated light (the peaceful look). But I noticed something else, look at the zig-zag pattern around her head. Look at both crowns, they are illustrating an optical migraine! The best part, this painting is called, "The Gate". Optical migraines really look like your walking through a gate.

The Gate.jpg