Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deism vs Christianity

I knew this would come in handy some day :D

You are correct as a TERM it might not have existed before 1874 (or there about) but it did exist as a religion long before then.....

You are correct as a TERM trinity might not have existed in the Bible, but it did exist as a concept :tu:

"The next time believers tell you that 'separation of church and state' does not

appear in our founding document, tell them to stop using the word 'trinity'.

The word 'trinity' appears nowhere in the bible.

Neither does Rapture, or Second Coming, or Original Sin".

Dan Barker

Dan Barker BIO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zandore

• Link of Hyrule

• Bella-Angelique

I'm not American, Z. I don't really have any position on these documents by those Founding Fathers. What are you trying to say?

his saying that would fit well with him being an eastern philosopher of the times AND most importantly, be his indicator that the "creator" is within everything. Too bad his followers got it all wrong and turned it into a cult of man-love.

Hmm well that is an interesting way to perceive that message.....but perhaps all things are sometimes interperted wrongly? Even your perception of Christs message? IMO of course.

No, according to the Christian bible, Jesus is NOT God. I'm willing to back this up as well. I'll leave a link to my old thread later.

what he is the son of God- so how is he not God? Unless perhaps you think of him as a Hercules type god? Seriously though why do you say this- because you don't believe the father son and Holy ghost are al;l in the same? :)

what he is the son of God

Aren't we all the "sons and daughters" of God?

Edit: Reworded.

Edited by MadMachine

I'm not American, Z. I don't really have any position on these documents by those Founding Fathers. What are you trying to say?

All you have to do is read the quote :sleepy:

"The next time believers tell you that 'separation of church and state' does not

Dan Barker

Dan Barker BIO

Yep, read the quote. Still don't know what you're trying to get at. WHy did you reply to my post with that Dan Barker quote. Could you expand on it in your own words, please. In relation to the post I made earlier, I see not the relevance.

Edited by Paranoid Android

user posted image

Yep, read the quote. Still don't know what you're trying to get at. WHy did you reply to my post with that Dan Barker quote. Could you expand on it in your own words, please. In relation to the post I made earlier, I see not the relevance.

The words trinity, rapture, second coming, or original sin appear no where in the Bible.....concept yes but words (in that context) :no:

Simple enough for you now?

user posted image

Hmm well that is an interesting way to perceive that message.....but perhaps all things are sometimes interperted wrongly? Even your perception of Christs message? IMO of course.

:D

well, from where I sit, if Jesus existed he was a simplton philosopher that brought the basics of Eastern teachings to the West.

It was the immediate followers of him that transformed the words into the cult of man-love. :lol:

user posted image

The words trinity, rapture, second coming, or original sin appear no where in the Bible.....concept yes but words (in that context) :no:

user posted image

One could say the concept exists in the New Testement that people should only eat fish while in groups by pointing to examples shown, while the actual statement is never made.

:D

well, from where I sit, if Jesus existed he was a simplton philosopher that brought the basics of Eastern teachings to the West.

It was the immediate followers of him that transformed the words into the cult of man-love. :lol:

Well those basic teachings are swell. I mean love thy neighbor as thyself. I love this one- although a lot of people don't use this one. I can't imagine why not?

Truthfully, no. Your post just rephrased the quote. I know what the quote means. I understand what the quote says. What I don't understand is your choice to use that quote in response to my post (link). Could you explain the rationale. What was the intended purpose in bringing up that quote in relation to that post? What point/s in my post did it refute or reaffirm?

~ PA

There is, of course, a middle ground, which I doubt anyone wants to hear. The universe was made by God directly, using Laws that can be discerned by Science. Those Laws are what controls things, although there may be occasional interference, known as miracles. God is "out there", but not directly connected to events, but at the same time, omnipresent and omniscient. There is not a single book directly written by God, but that doesn't mean She doesn't exist or love us. The problem is, that different people like Jesus and Buddha catch just a glimpse of what is really going on, and teach what they can to others. I hate to break it to you, but J and B were teaching the exact same thing: live as good a life as you can and don't hurt people.

And I think that Gideon has hit the nail squarely on the head.

If you must worship something, worship the MESSAGE not the MAN.

I prefer to worship Myself JMPD.

Thats the only thing i can be sure of.

There is, of course, a middle ground, which I doubt anyone wants to hear. The universe was made by God directly, using Laws that can be discerned by Science. Those Laws are what controls things, although there may be occasional interference, known as miracles. God is "out there", but not directly connected to events, but at the same time, omnipresent and omniscient. There is not a single book directly written by God, but that doesn't mean She doesn't exist or love us. The problem is, that different people like Jesus and Buddha catch just a glimpse of what is really going on, and teach what they can to others. I hate to break it to you, but J and B were teaching the exact same thing: live as good a life as you can and don't hurt people.

I really like that outlook on things... :)

Edited by Zero of Deism

I prefer to worship Myself JMPD.

Thats the only thing i can be sure of.

how are you so sure of that?

I posit that you can not prove you exist!

how are you so sure of that?

I posit that you can not prove you exist!

Thats very true. And an argument i have had for a long time with friends.

The fact is that i am not sure of myself. Existance is something I assume to be true nothing more. Yet as a human being my mind has a hard time expanding to cover that, therefore i Assume that i exist.

user posted image

user posted image

One could say the concept exists in the New Testement that people should only eat fish while in groups by pointing to examples shown, while the actual statement is never made.

What does fish have to do with the concepts (but not specificaly mentioned in the Bible) of the "trinity, rapture, second coming, or original sin"?

I think Z, she is using the example of "Jesus feeding the multitudes" with fish to illustrate that, while not directly using specific wording, the bible passage could be used to imply certain concepts or guidelines by the reader.

I think Z, she is using the example of "Jesus feeding the multitudes" with fish to illustrate that, while not directly using specific wording, the bible passage could be used to imply certain concepts or guidelines by the reader.

Yes. People can point to anything out of context, compile multiple examples, and then say it means something that is never stated in the text itself.

Truthfully, no. Your post just rephrased the quote. I know what the quote means. I understand what the quote says. What I don't understand is your choice to use that quote in response to my post (link). Could you explain the rationale. What was the intended purpose in bringing up that quote in relation to that post? What point/s in my post did it refute or reaffirm?

user posted image

You really don't understand do you?.....

I knew this would come in handy some day :D

You are correct as a TERM it might not have existed before 1874 (or there about) but it did exist as a religion long before then.....

Dan Barker

Dan Barker BIO

It agrees with what you said in the post I quoted.user posted image

EDIT: Fixed Quotes

Edited by zandore

Yes. People can point to anything out of context, compile multiple examples, and then say it means something that is never stated in the text itself.

I agree Bela....Christians do it all of the time.

I agree Bela....Christians do it all of the time.

Not as often as the Surpreme Court here though. :D

It agrees with what you said in the post I quoted.

Thanks, Z. That's what I was trying to work out. It wasn't really clear (at least to me) what point you were trying to make. Thanks for clearing it up :tu: