Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If you're aracniphobic..

SilverCougar

Run!

Oct. 4, 2006 — As if the West Nile-toting mosquito isn't enough to worry Mississippians, add the poisonous Latrodectus geometricus to the state's list of creepy-crawly creatures.

Dr. Jerome Goddard, entomologist with the Mississippi Department of Health, said the poisonous Brown Widow spider that is a cousin to the well-known Black Widow, is now calling the Mississippi Gulf Coast home.

"The tropical Brown Widow spider .... has recently been captured in many locations along the Mississippi Gulf Coast," Goddard said in a news release Tuesday.

>.< While tests show that the brown widow's venom isn't as strong as the black widow's.. it's still poisonous to humans. And being a total aracniphobic.. this makes me cring and get all bleeahahaha!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• AtlantisRises

• Princess Serenity

• ex infernis

I guess I'll be steering clear of the Gulf Coast for awhile as I'm severely allergic to most venom toting vermin.

Ew.

Never heard of the Brown Widow.

Used to be very arachnophobic... not so so much anymore... ok maybe a little still...

I feed a Black Widow that's out in one of our remote locations. She's the 3rd generation I've fed at that spot.

Ew.

Never heard of the Brown Widow.

Used to be very arachnophobic... not so so much anymore... ok maybe a little still...

I feed a Black Widow that's out in one of our remote locations. She's the 3rd generation I've fed at that spot.

We have an issue with hobo spiders and brown reclueses. Though more so the hobo spider. Long, gangly leg spider... it's venom is like the brown recluses, necropic. Damned flesh melters. *shudders*

Granted we have other spiders as well.. garden veriety. Keeps the ant population down. X)

But, I'm starting to raise some venus fly traps. XD They're less icky then spiders.

Reminded me of last week.. I was looking at a news article online, and turned to say something to my mate. When I went to look back at the computer, there was this huge brown spider dangling right infront of my face! Time(my mate's online name) said he's never heard me yelp so loud and get across the room so fast. XD And the spider? Soon as I yelped, she scrambled up her webbing to the ceiling as fast as I jumped across the room! XD

He evicted her, trapped her in a bowl and dropped her outside. XD Though she tried to get back in, because shen he came in the next day and she was trying to build a web over the front of the door and dropped inside when the door had been opened. He stomped on her that time... >.>

Run!

>.< While tests show that the brown widow's venom isn't as strong as the black widow's.. it's still poisonous to humans. And being a total aracniphobic.. this makes me cring and get all bleeahahaha!!

glad i don't live there.

I suggest you don't come to Australia then.

We have so many poisonous spiders its frightening.

RedBacks, Funnel Webs, TrapDoors the list goes on.

The real bad ones of course are the Sydney Funnel webs.

I am not Arachnophobic but when i was living in Sydney these things Always used to scare the Sh-t out of me.

Basically they are like a Tarantula except they are VERY poisonous.

And the really bad thing about them arethey are super aggressive. They will attack anything.

user posted image

Just the sight makes my skin crawl.

Edited by AtlantisRises

add the gulf states to the list of places you won't find me in.........

of course, OZ tops the list.

I've enought to deal wit the eight legged aliens we have here.

we hates them we do..........

Oh yes... I've many friends in Aussieland.. and many of them wished me to visit. And I said no.. ;) There's no way in *HELL* will you catch me in australia.. ever.

:o I wonder if they are the same TrapDoors we have in Tennessee, AtlantisRising?

No idea Michelle. They are probably similar. But being Australia they are probably about ten times more poisonous. It seems everything in Australia is way more poisonous.

Speaking of which i almost stepped on a King Brown Snake while running this morning.

I missed stepping on it by about a foot or so. You should have seen me jump in fright when i hear a hiss and saw it run of into the bush.

I was lucky i didn't hit it as i would have been in a lot of trouble.

:o .. Oh Good Lord .. thats creepy .. :unsure2: .. I hate spiders!!

*shivers*...ewwww...*shivers*

Somehow spiders, poisonous or not don't scare me. I don't like them or anything but they don't scare me.

i dont mind spiders

never heard of the brown widow though

i think you should always fear an amimal that can kill you just out of respect

I'm ok with spiders that make a web in the corner minding their own business. But i'm terrified of the wolf and brown spiders. They're the ones i always catch crawling towards me like they're in attack mode.

No offense. But thank goodness I don't live there. And I have aracnipohia.

I've never heard of a spider like that. I don't really mind spiders though, but if they're inside the house. No thank you.

Here's the Brown Widow. Apparently there are other types as well, like the Red Widow....*shiver*

user posted image

Gross! Gross! That thing is ugly! Someone kill it. *Shivers* A Red Widow? Great....

How many other widows are out there?

Run!

I didn't think you were active anymore!

I didn't think you were active anymore!

Life hit me over the head with a frying pan... and this place was giving me an anurism(sp)

But now that some things have settled... and I'm a mascosist(sp) I came back ;P

Check this out.

We get this in Northern Australia

user posted image

The southern US is just a plethora of cuddly, venemous creepy crawlies :)

Black Widows, Brown Widows, Brown Recluse, Fire Ants, etc. Not to mention the vipers and scorpions....

The only place 'worse off' is Australia...They get funnel orb spiders and the 4 most deadliest land snakes (Taipan, tiger, brown, fierce) and sea snakes (banded, blue). Not to mention kraits!

Edited by frogfish

One of the many reasons at the top of my list for moving from Kentucky to Maine almost 7 yrs. ago. I wanted to be away from all those poisonous spiders & snakes. We still have spiders up here of course. I have my comp sitting in front of living room winder so in summer I can open window and smell nice ocean breeze so they love to harbour around the comp. Of course I'm always looking around and seeing them crawling around. I gotta buy some spray I guess but luckily winter is around corner and that is only thing I love about the snow up here besides watching my daughter enjoy playing in it is that I don't have to put up with spiders. :D

And you would so never catch me in Australia. I couldn't even get into the water without being afraid of being stung by a box jellyfish long enough any jellyfish for that matter or I'd worry about the sharks and the scorpions and snakes. And all those spiders. EEEeeekkkk!!!! A living nightmare. I bet it's beautiful with all that wildlife and such but I'll never wanna visit!!!

Edited by starlitkate

I like spider and snake pics. As FF said in Oz we have plenty of poisonous critters.

So you either get used to them or you go somewhere else.

Edited by AtlantisRises