Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strong reaction to Harry Potter ban proposal

UM-Bot

*sighs*....I'd forgotten how angry some of the stuff I used to read here could make me. It's good thing I've taken the time to expand my repetiore of profanity, because existing standards are woefully inadequate to describe my thoughts on this one.

Sera! How have you been hon? And yes.. oh gods yes.. I know exactly what you mean. You just kind of have to... plunge into this place again and pray for sanity.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• Luziadus

• Never_Hit_Nirvana

• ThickasaBrick

I agree, its not for the school library.

The bible is for the religious but has good stories often related

to in similar life situations.

Should the life story of a saint be banned, even about the real

flying nun, real name Zoe, everyone likes the name Zoe.

How about how to make a dradel, give the kids some real life

exposure.

Or wild stories of secret.... nah lets not real or unreal scary things

wind up in educational libraries.

I ban everything related to Church,and I support the creativity of Harry Potter.

Why the Christian people are more active in a negative way to this kind of creativity? where are the others religions?

The Christian people should know that who gave the idea of evil about witchcrafts was their own religion or beliefs,and it was a idea that wasn't corresponding the true,the church made up to scare the people and to make them following the Christian religion to be "safe" from Paganism.

Its stupid that in XXI century we continue having people who tries to destroy others beliefs with non-sense/backward teories from Inquisition.

I never saw anyone trying to destroy the Christianism,but its time to give what its received from others.

That women could explain to her childrens that her belief killed millions of people (more than Hitler) to increase the wealth of Vatican,this is true,now she can't prove that witchcraft is real.

Curiosity: some teas that we drink today are the result of the so called magic potions from the ancient people,one of them were the pagans or the "witches" that was considered by Christians as having poison and black magic as the Church call ,which is a mixture of herbs with water and other kind of plants from forests,today we still drink them,and even many christians drink it too,not knowing that is also a pagan drink.

Stop making to see that Chrisitanity is all pink and good and eternal,its all a bulls***.Let the creativity of artists raise upon the public,then its up to the people chosing or not what they like.

Literature is like Music, there are the ones who like it and others dont,there are the ones who like something and others like other thing,Arts have many kinds of creativity for many people tastes,so as Portuguese Proverb says: "Tastes are not discussed".

As I heard somewhere the story of Harry Potter begans in Porto,when the writer visited the city,I think.Many arts came from what the artist created with others influence,its have always influence,and exist others who create it from nothing.

Hello! You had alot of good points!

Don't worry, not all of us Christians are fanatical and crazy like that!

I really detest the ones you are talking about, too.

This reminds me of a group of women I was invited to do Bible Study with, one morning a week, while the kids were in school. I really liked the leader, and her family, and she was a down-to-earth Christian like myself, so I joined. I enjoyed it because we prayed for all of our kids, and it felt very good...UNTIL...a new lady joined. She had heard that one of the teachers, (one that was awesome, and currently had my son in his class), was showing episodes of the Twilight Zone in class. This was true. After having completed what they were supposed to, the kids got to watch these shows, and it was working as a great incentive. (It was the old black and white episodes.) They earned watching one maybe once or twice a week.

Well, this woman, new to the group I was in, was horrified by the kids watching the Twilight Zone, and she didn't even have a child in that class. She got the other mothers up and angry about it, except for me and the group leader. This teacher had been showing his episodes for several years. But these women stopped him. There were many of them, against two of us. They went before the school board and they banned him from showing any more Twilight Zone episodes.

You know what my Christian kids got from that experience? They didn't want to be like "those" Christians, and said they were crazy. They questioned alot of things, which was a good thing, because I am the kind of mom that lets them search out and form their own opinions. This teacher is wonderful. He even taught the students to paint beautifully. My kids are grown up, and we still have the wonderful pictures all over the house.

I am tired of fanatical Christians. They put so much time and energy into what their doing, that could be used better in actually living the unconditional Love, and spreading positivity!

• 5 months later...

Wow. Just wow. Who would waste their time trying to get books banned?

Seriously, so many better things to do than ban harry potter books. Like pick up a good book if Potter's not your cup of tea. Or better yet, actually in-depth TALK to your Children so they won't innerly hate you as much as they do now. Mein Gott. That woman and I would have a very nice talk.

• 1 month later...

I, personally, love the Harry Potter books. . . I don't see anything wrong with them. . . .and, being brought up reading fantasy books and mythologies from all over the world, I can't exactly be labeled an "inexperienced reader". . . I never actually knew of anyone that didn't like them until I came here. I think the Harry Potter books are fun. I've seen people that I never thought would crack open a book read the series and then move on to other "higher level" books. Anything that does that is good. And, also, being pagan, I just find it outright silly that anyone would find Harry Potter threatening to their religion. Honestly. . .I laughed when I read the article about that woman.

Edit: hahaha, I didn't even notice how OLD this thread was! hahaha. . .it's been so long since I've posted anything, I didn't even think about checking to see how old it was. . .

Edited by Sweetsalem82103

• 4 months later...
"Since becoming a Christian, and in my quest to find my spiritual "home" (i.e. church), I have become increasingly cognizant of the lack of equality and respect that women receive within the Church, particularly the Catholic church. In the Catholic church, there is a significant lack of authoritative roles for women. Women are not given nearly as many opportunities as men are to actively participate in their faith. -- Jane Fonda

she obviously hasn't read the new testament.

it clearly states that no woman should have authority over a man