Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Hewitt Family

LucidElement

Hey peoples!!! i was wondering if the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is REAL or FICTION?? either way can some provide a link...

I also heard that Leather Face AKA Thomas Hewitt, was a run off of Ed Gein. Because Ed Gein used to cut peoples arms and what ever off and make furniture out of them. similiar to Leather Face's methods.

Im just curious is it real the Hewitt Story or not!!!

Thanks All

Edited by LucidElement

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Atheist God

• coldethyl

• Daycrist

• Gone away

Texas chainsaw massacre is total work of fiction. Ed gein was the model for leatherface he never used a chainsaw but he made things out of human skin,,lampshades and a few other household items,,he killed i belive 2 or 3 people and robbed lots of graves. After getting caught he was aquitted by reason of insanity and spent the rest of his life in a mental institute,,,, i hope this helps.

:devil:

user posted image

Ed Gein is a nortorious murder who possibly commited up to 6 murders between the years of 1947 to 1960 (give or a take a few years, i don't remember exactly).

He was only ever substantially linked to two murders, however 6 people dissapeared from the area during this time. Originally, he actually started with digging up corpses from the nearby cemetary to fulfill his morbid fantasies, which included making furniture and assorted items from human corpses and yes, even some assorted clothing accessories. He was very sick, and it is speculated this came about from his mother, who was a very twisted religious extremist who ruled his entire life up until her death sometime in the 40's.

That's all there really is to it. I don't believe that Ed Gein ever picked up a chainsaw, and certainly did not stalk people with one while wearing a mask of human flesh. He was an old sick man, nothing more really to it.

Ed Gein was the inspiriation for several movie characters, including that seen in the TCSM and also Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs, who was making clothes from female flesh. However, he was inspiration for fictional stories only, he was not actually either of these characters.

there was a documentary about him recently in Britain. They reckon he killed his brother as well...oh and he was executed after about 20 years in the institute

Edited by evil_E.T

its a real story but some parts are just majorly over exagerated

• 3 months later...

No. None of the story in part or whole is real. It is all based on events and occurances of serial killers like Ed Gein and John Wayne Gacy. I know this because I live in Texas and have for the past 30 years. I have met Tobe Hooper (creator of the story) and some of the other actors including Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface) at a Gencon and a couple of other autograph signings. I have lived in Austin and Fort Worth for awhile now and the ACTUAL Chainsaw Massacre house that was used in the first movie was ONLY a set for the movie and nothing more and has been restored as a bed and breakfast in Kingsland, TX. Go here to check the details and more about the film and story info Chainsaw Massacre House and YES I have been here as my mother in law lives in Kingsland and trust me...aint much scary about the house. Also here is another link that will give you the details about fact vs. fiction regarding the story and what it was based on. Texas Chainsaw Massacre...The truth. Anyways I hope this gives some insight and answers some question about the story and movie.

Edited by ApexPredator

Ed Gein has been used as a model for movie serial killers for years...

Norman Bates obsession with his mother closely resembles the infactuation Gein had with his.

Leatherface like Gein had made skin clothing and furniture.

Buffalo Bill like Gein also wore the skin of his victims although likely for different reasons.

Tobe Hooper has stated on numerous occasions that his movie is a work of fiction and that his leatherface character was based on Gein. The Hewitt family is nothing more then a work of fiction inspired by by guys like Gein and as mentioned above John Wayne Gacy.

there was a documentary about him recently in Britain. They reckon he killed his brother as well...oh and he was executed after about 20 years in the institute

What had happened with his brother is there was a fire and his brother died and although they found proof of blunt force trauma to the head they ruled his death as a result of the fire. Although they had always knew he killed him but without any proof they could not nail him for the murder.

There is a movie about Ed Gein, by the same name. It is a pretty creepy movie, with some news reels and pics following, I will not post the link to the the site about Mr Gein,as it is graphic. but I'm sure you can google it for yourselves.

Edited by dixiepixie

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Ed...earch&meta=

Edward Gein (August 27, 1906 – July 26, 1984), was an American serial killer. Though only two murders on his part were confirmed, he gained great infamy due to **********c behavior, which involved the skinning of his murder victims and exhumed corpses, the decoration of of his home with parts of corpses, and the creation of articles of clothing from the skin of corpses. Besides the death of his brother in 1944 under mysterious circumstances, six people disappeared from the Wisconsin towns of La Crosse and Plainfield between 1947 and 1957.

Films

* Ed Gein's already infamous crimes became even more widely known after Robert Bloch's novel Psycho was released in 1959, followed a year later by Alfred Hitchcock's seminal film adaptation; Gein was widely believed to be the basis for main character Norman Bates (Bloch later denied this in an interview). Also, the crimes loosely inspired Alan Ormsby's Deranged.

* Gein's story was adapted into its own movie called In the Light of the Moon, later to be retitled Ed Gein for the US market. It starred Steve Railsback as Gein and Carrie Snodgress as Augusta.

* Leatherface, the homicidal, human skin-wearing villain of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre series, was also based on Gein.

* As of January 2006, Ed Gein: The Butcher of Plainfield, directed by Michael Feifer, is currently in production. It is expected for 2007.

* A movie released in 2003, House of 1000 Corpses, directed by Rob Zombie, contains a scene in which the character Captain Spaulding recreates Gein's crimes as part of his amusement park ride. The films Maniac and American Psycho also referenced Gein's crimes.

* Buffalo Bill, the main antagonist in The Silence of the Lambs, was modeled after Ed Gein. Like Gein, Bill sought to create a woman suit of skin.

* The film See No Evil, with WWE superstar Kane, also depicts some of Ed Gein's relationship with his mother.

* In Battle Royale, after being told of Kazuo Kiriyama's odd emotionless state, Shuya remarks that "he's not Ed Gein."

If I see one more Texas Chainsaw movie i'll kill myself.

Edited by ghostboy83

Edited due to my false link

Edited by GanjaGuru

That's a band.

Your right I should have checked the link first my bad... :blush:

Your right I should have checked the link first my bad... :blush:

LOL, no problem. Made me giggle. :tu:

• 1 year later...

Ok, first off. Yes the Hewitt family murders are real. They are notoriously known in Texas for the 33 murders that they committed. And for all of you who are saying that the movie is based off of something else...do your research before opening your mouth.

you should read this

Of course the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is not a true story. It's based of of the deranged Ed Gein who killed a few people. I remember once in school there was this one guy who was insisting it was a true story. He was acting like I was a moron for claiming it not true. It's was just to get it to sell better. Of course someone with a chainsaw could have gone on a rampage that we don't know about. Of course many things can happen but the story of TCM is not true.