Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grinning Man

GoddessKate

lengendcop13 would u be very nice if u breathed fire and killed women

:huh: No women killing, please.

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst I'm sure this is very serious, the first thing that came into my head was "V for Vendetta." Anyone else?

Seriously though. Grinning mask wearing black?

Springheeled Jack sounds like a good answer though.

• 1 year later...

Isnt the grinning man the giant 6 foot tall creature that tried to climb into someone's house? I read something about it in a book about North American unexplained creatures

LegendCop13, would it surprise you if I mentioned that I've seen something like this myself? I didn't say anything about it before but I had a particular sighting of this kind of thing myself. Dark sort of clothing, pale skin, frightening grin, waxy skin, dark eyes, frightening stillness. I also did some research (like on here about different legends) and met up with a guy who saw something similar when he was a kid.

• 3 months later...

This is all I could drudge up on the Grinning Man:

The Grinning Man is the name given to one or more mysterious figures that has become associated with various reports of paranormal activity. The Grinning Man is sometimes described as being an extraterrestrial, MIB or a hominid cryptid and was investigated by notable paranormal author John A. Keel and ufologist James Moseley. Arguably the best known Grinning Man was Indrid Cold, who appears during the Mothman sightings. Reports of Grinning Men often occur during periods of increased UFO reporting.

I personally believe that the mascot for the band Disturbed, called 'The Guy' is based upon this mysterious grinning man.

Here is a picture of The Guy:

post-77857-1220925901_thumb.png

• Like 1

Stephen King wrote a story about the grinning man and it is supposedly based on some accounts that early settlers had with a man in a dark suit who often cam eup to them while they we out in the woods. supposedly this man was the devil looking for souls to bring back to hell with him. at least im pretty sure that thats what it was maybe look for the story i belive its in everythings eventual.

Stephen King wrote a story about the grinning man and it is supposedly based on some accounts that early settlers had with a man in a dark suit who often cam eup to them while they we out in the woods. supposedly this man was the devil looking for souls to bring back to hell with him. at least im pretty sure that thats what it was maybe look for the story i belive its in everythings eventual.

Ah yeah, that is a great story. It is called "The Man in the Black Suit" and involves an elderly man recalling an ancounter had as a child, in which he believes he met the devil in the woods of Maine. King states that he got the idea to write the story when a friend told him that his grandfather truly believed he met the devil in the woods when he was a young boy.

Anyway, I am very interested in the whole grinning man concept. Definitely one of the more bizarre things I have heard.

• 1 month later...

The only thing I can find on the Grinning Man is a wikipedia page, which links back to a thread on this and another supernatural web-site. So, as far as I can tell the Grinning Man is a complete work of fiction.

Edited by Two Headed Boy

The Grinning Man, was soupposed to be seen when a UFO sighting was in the area.

The 1st sighting of him was by people in car going past a field.

Some say hes an alien.

Ah yeah, that is a great story. It is called "The Man in the Black Suit" and involves an elderly man recalling an ancounter had as a child, in which he believes he met the devil in the woods of Maine. King states that he got the idea to write the story when a friend told him that his grandfather truly believed he met the devil in the woods when he was a young boy.

Anyway, I am very interested in the whole grinning man concept. Definitely one of the more bizarre things I have heard.

i've read this. it was so creepy i didnt sleep well and when i think about it i get chills. the book explains that the man laughed and the boy saw rows of sharp teeth like a great white shark. he also smelled like when you light a match and blow it out really fast.

Victor Hugo,who wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame wrote a book called The Man Who Laughs.It is about a man who as a child had the corners of his mouth slit by someone,and has this perpetual grin because of it. It was reprinted as a Classic Comic,and was a silent movie starring Conrad Veidt and Mary Philbin. I don't believe it has ever been remade.

I'll look at Wikepedia to see if they have something on it. And apparently this was something done by beggars to induce sympathy in passersby to give money to unfortunates.Apparently he based his book on a real pratice of the past.

i'm new here too but i have heard of the 'grinning man' he wasn't origionally a character in silent hill he is a real supernatural occurance that is usually seen after ufo sightings also on a late night talk show someone rang up and said they had witnessed him twice the first time was when he was about 14 and he saw him walking up his stairs (he was in bed and he saw him through the wall at the time) he said on both times he was wielding a large knife and had a checkered shirt on

i hope this is some help ^_^

So I'm new on this board, I just found it thru a Google search so excuse me if I'm making kind of a newbie... But I was wondering if anyone had ever heard about something called the Grinning Man. Basically a scary grinning man-looking thing wearing black. Has anyone heard of this?

Try this wkipedia entry - it might be what you are looking for : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grinning_Man

• 1 month later...
So I'm new on this board, I just found it thru a Google search so excuse me if I'm making kind of a newbie... But I was wondering if anyone had ever heard about something called the Grinning Man. Basically a scary grinning man-looking thing wearing black. Has anyone heard of this?

The Grinning Man was a humanoid type entity that was first sighted in Elizabeth, New Jersey in 1966. Big, broad shouldered with beady eyes set far apart. Apparently he was dressed in a shimmering green type of jumpsiut. Reportedly, he was seen around the same time as mothman and U.F.O. sightings.

i've read this. it was so creepy i didnt sleep well and when i think about it i get chills. the book explains that the man laughed and the boy saw rows of sharp teeth like a great white shark. he also smelled like when you light a match and blow it out really fast.

What book is this in? I'm so buying it!

Creepy-looking grinning man: Jim Carrey?

edit: That part in the wiki article in which they talk about that guy that was seen in NJ by two kids...wtf? So just because you are super tall and stand next to a road, you are suddenly an unexplained phenomena/monster? nonono! that's new jersey, they should've known better :lol:

Edited by dani10

The Dark Man and other aspects

Nearly all of the early Verbonic settlements circulated stories of a being known as "The Dark Man" that lived in the primordial woods beyond the settlements' borders. Deeply religious and at the same time almost hysterically superstitious, clinging precariously to the edges of an unexplored and therefore terrifying land, it was only natural for people in those times to project their collective fears onto the unknown. For the predominantly fundamentalist sects that first colonized the Viscounty, these projections typically were embodiments of the concept of the Devil.

The Dark Man generally takes the form of a man, sometimes of large or even giant stature but more often no larger than a natural human. He is invariably dark-skinned, although rarely described as a Suel -- most often he is a Flan with jet-black skin, thus combining the refined, cunning intelligence of the Flaness with the base carnality of the Sueloise. He is regularly portrayed as the consort of witches. He has many names: The Dark Man, The Grinning Man, Old Scratch, Springheel Jack, The Evil One, etc., but always his formal appellation -- "Lucifer" or "Satan" -- is scrupulously avoided, a holdover from the tradition that to speak a demon's name is to attract his attention and perhaps even summon him.

More interesting to the folklorist are the names that harken further back than these simple superstitions, recalling a more pagan portrayal of the dark and unknown. These tales, which originate from the more reclusive colonies, often bring out the more animalistic, nature-worshipping aspect of the Dark Man. He is sometimes pictured as being covered with hair, or having hooves instead of feet, resembling Classical images of Pan. His names are more obscure: The Wicker (or Wicca) Man; The Black Goat With A Thousand Young. Therein lie tantalizing clues offering the enterprising folklorist still deeper glimpses into the collective unconscious. Source/Full Article

Wasn't the phrase "The Black Goat with a Thousand Young" made up by horror author H. P. Lovecraft to describe his fictional demon-deity Shub-Niggurath?

"Wicker" and "wicca" have different roots. Besides, the "Wicker Man" was a sacrifice TO the deity, not the deity itself.

The material quoted above, although fascinating, seems to be part of the backstory for a D & D game.

Edited by OldTimeRadio

It's worth pointing out that human skulls, by their very nature, "grin," and that the "grinning skull" is an extremely old motif in World folklore and literature.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a story about the Grinning man I found:

"Perhaps the most famous sighting of a Grinning Man is reported to have taken place on October 11, 1966 in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The entity was sighted by two boys, James Yanchitis and Marvin Munoz, as they were walking home along Fourth Street and New Jersey Street when they reached a corner parallel to the New Jersey Turnpike. The turnpike is elevated and there is an extremely steep incline going down from the busy street above which leads to Fourth Street. A very large, high wire fence runs along the edge of the street, making it incredibly difficult to near impossible for anyone to want to climb up the incline to the turnpike above. There are bright street lights in that area, which gave the boys a good glimpse of what they called "the strangest guy we've ever seen."

Yanchitis noticed the strange entity first. "He was standing behind that fence", he stated later to investigators. "I don't know how he got there. He was the biggest man I ever saw." "Jimmy nudged me", Marvin Munoz reported to police, "and said, Who's that guy standing behind you?' I looked around and there he was... behind that fence. Just standing there. He pivoted around and looked right at us... then he grinned a big old grin.""

Sounds to me like he's just some creepy old man who likes little boys. Maybe he's Michael Jackson? :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Actuly the grinning man has nothing to do with the Mad Gasser or Spring Heald Jack! The first encounter happened on November 2, 1966, a man named Woodrow Derenberger was driving home in his panel truck after a hard day of work. As he drove up a hill outside of Parkersburg on Interstate 77, he heard a sudden crash. A vehicle was speeding behind him, and it suddenly cut in front of him and slowed down. Derenberger looked in amazement as the vehicle that passed him looked like "an old fashioned kerosene lamp chimney, flaring at both ends, narrowing down to a small neck and then enlarging in a great bulge in the center." The "thing" blocked the road, and a door slid open on the side of the it. Then a man stepped out, the man was around 6 feet tall, with long dark hair combed straight back. His skin was heavily tanned. He wore an outfit that was made out of some sort of "glistening green material," similar to the outfit worn by the other Grinning Man that was encountered in Elizabeth, New Jersey by the two boys. He was grinning broadly.

The man spoke to Derenberger telepathically and said his name was "Cold", and went off asking him strange questions, and the two talked for a few minutes. Then the strange entity said that he would visit Derenberger again, and he got back in the craft, and left. Hope this helped!

Ahh, I rember him. A phenomon attributed to UFOs. Seen during, or shortly after a UFO sighting. The story 2 posts above, is indeed and excerpt from The Complete Guide To Mysteriouse Beings