Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mysterious Megaliths of New England

pappagooch

My girlfriend and I were discussing the idea that “Columbus” was not the first person to “discover” America. Aside from the “Vikings” and the possibility that the Chinese and Egyptians may have explored North America quite some time prior to “Columbus’s” favorable “mistake”, could it be a possibility that Europeans were on the North American continent many years prior to when current American history claims they first arrived?

Well, during the conversation, she mentioned that she remembered hearing something about an American “Stonehenge” somewhere in New England. I proceeded to run a search online and sure enough I found some interesting links on this subject. It turns out that there are handful of “unexplained” sites in the New England area consisting of strange megalithic ruins, some perhaps as old as 1000 - 3000 B.C. These sites remain “unexplained” by scientists and archaeologists.

"Yet how could Celtic writing, a style reminiscent of that from the first millennium B.C., be in America? Who were the authors of the many rock engravings? How could the carvers possibly have gotten to America a thousand years before the birth of Christ? Why had they come and what evidence is there to support such a far-fetched notion? And what of the large stone structures found across the American northeast, eerily similar to types found in Europe?"

"For answers, we first turn to an odd stone arrangement found in the hills of New England. The Mystery Hill complex, the largest and most sophisticated of its kind in North America, covers over 30 acres and is composed of monolithic standing stones, stone walls and underground chambers, most of which are aligned to obvious astronomical points. Even now the site can be used as an accurate yearly calendar utilizing the stones set up over two thousand (perhaps as long as 5,000) years ago. The lack of household artifacts and grave goods leads us to believe that the site was a ceremonial center and neither living quarters nor a “city.” "

Has anybody heard of these structures and even seen them? I wonder why these things tend to take a “back seat” when the discussion of “American History” comes up!!! I think the travel channel or TLC should investigate!!!

user posted image

user posted image

Link 1

Link Also

Nice Virtual Tour

Link 2

Ahhh, I just discovered an article entitled "New England's Buried Treasure"

by Clay Perry, 1946...

In which this gentleman believed that Irish explorers were in America before the Norsemen came. Could this be the reason these mysterious megaliths were erected in the past?

"I am interested in artificial caves; I wonder if you are?" came a letter from Hartford, Conn., as this book was being started - and it was signed by a gentleman whose repute and experience as an archeologist and restorer of ancient ruins, debunker of legends about certain - and uncertain - structures of stone and earth in many parts of the country made his statement and his query somewhat startling.

I supposed that it was something in the line of old mines or some sort of man-made tunnels into the ground which he meant, but upon replying to his letter, I began to receive information which was, indeed, astonishing.

Before we had finished corresponding and visiting, together, inspecting several curious rock buildings, walls and ruins about Massachusetts and New Hampshire, it had become evident that we were peering into the gloomy depths of the very "dens and caves" in which a fabled people, many times mentioned in the ancient history of the Norsemen and the Icelandic-Norse may have lived. And that they had built them. And that they had lasted perhaps a thousand years.

And that here, written in the stones, as well as in the sagas which gave the first clue to their origin, was the story of the real discovery of America - by an unknown band of Irish voyagers."

read on if you wish:

GREAT IRELAND IN NEW ENGLAND

Great post, I’m going to surf all your links, and look into this, sounds interesting! Thanks for the time you have put into this!

No problem! I love finding new information about "unexplained structures" and such that could potentially debunk the current explanation of our history on this planet. When my girlfriend mentioned that she had heard that these things existed, I couldnt believe it. Sure enough, you can even take a tour at "Mystery Hill". I am supprised that all through out school & college, not one teacher nor professor even hinted at the possibility that these things exist! Everyone whom I mentioned these things to has never heard of them either, except one co-worker who is from New England. She paid a visit to them and indicated that they were very interesting, but she goes by the "plate tectonic" theory and thinks they were erected when all the continents were one land mass. She is right in that most people have to go by "common sense" based on current information... I'm not a geologist nor a scientist for that fact, but wouldn't the seperation of the theorized "land mass" have occurred over 100,000 years ago? Heck Millions of years ago? That theory doesn't make sense to me but it's an easy explanation I suppose, if anyone refuses to believe that the ancients did not have a far more advanced method of sailing the seas than current science & historians give our ancestors credit for... The sad thing is that most people I mentioned these things to really could care less... I guess Columbus will continue to receive the credit for "Discovering" North America just because our History Texts say so!

• 14 years later...

I am the Necro Master! 

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Haha 1

Most of these Celtic"sites" appear to be hoaxes. From what I gather in my own research.

• Thanks 1

Just now, danydandan said:

Most of these Celtic"sites" appear to be hoaxes. From what I gather in my own research.

I am inclined to agree.  I'm simply in a necro threading mood this evening for some reason.  LOL!

• Haha 1

Whoa.

A thread from before I joined. Ain't seem one of them in a while.

--Jaylemurph

• Haha 1

Let's not necropost just for the fun of it. If you like this topic, I recommend starting a new thread.

This thread is closed.

• Haha 1

• The topic was locked