Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Is The Christian View On The Dinosaur?

Cadetak

The existence of dinosaurs in the earths history contradicts the events in the bible. In the Genisis stories God created earth with modern day animals.

I'm looking for the "oficial" christian explanation on this. I didn't post this in the Skeptic forum because I'm trying to start that debate...just an answer if there is one and if there is not maybe a debate between christians(or bible historians).

You won't get a debate with christians or bible historians.

They will avoid this thread like the plague.

• Like 2

So am I to assume there isn't a real explanation? I can't believe a pope or someone hasn't answered this. Dinosaurs are basically 99.9% proven to have existed. Some one some where had to have had an explanation.

I mean it takes hours for star wars fanboys to fix story problems within the movies.

So am I to assume there isn't a real explanation? I can't believe a pope or someone hasn't answered this. Dinosaurs are basically 99.9% proven to have existed. Some one some where had to have had an explanation.

I mean it takes hours for star wars fanboys to fix story problems within the movies.

I've heard some say that christians believe the fossil evidence to be faked (I know it sounds crazy to me too :rolleyes::rofl: )

Could you please explain what it is about the dinosaurs that contradict the Bible? Is it just the Genesis 1 account of the earth being created in seven days, or is there more to it than that? When you respond, I'll give a more in-depth response :tu:

Cheers, PA

Well in the bible God created Man first with all other modern day animals like bears, dogs, etc. He didn't make dinosaurs, kill them off, and then make man...he made man first. Get what I mean?

• Like 3

Well in the bible God created Man first with all other modern day animals like bears, dogs, etc. He didn't make dinosaurs, kill them off, and then make man...he made man first. Get what I mean?

Well you gotta have food for the dinosaurs :rofl:

• Like 1

Umm, just for reference could you point me to a single Bible-verse where humans are created before animals?

Edited by Paranoid Android

Umm, just for reference could you point me to a single Bible-verse where humans are created before animals?

Asking more questions to answer a question isn't giving an answer. ;)

The bible doesn't mention dinosaurs anywhere, nor does it explain why they were there. You can't tell me that they didn't know about it because well... Dinosaurs were everywhere on earth with many many many different kinds.

Something tells me that the people creating a religion and writing a book to follow didn't know about them. :innocent:

You can't tell me either that off-beat words that translate into different meanings = dinosaurs either. There are many other reptiles that are not dinosaurs. :)

Even more so Noah was suppose to collect two of every kind of animal... Which by today's standards is impossible no matter which way you cut it.

Here's a laid out view of Christians on the dinosaurs... Remember what you've learned in school when reading this... ;)Link

Wait a sec, I think I just answered slightly different to the point you intended :blush::P

To give you my fuller response then, From a purely textual point of view, leaving aside the literal days idea, the Bible only says (concerning animals/humans) that animals were created first and only at the end were humans created. If you take a day of creation as literally a 24-hour period, then perhaps you'd have a point, but there is plenty of textual basis to suggest that the "day" refers to a long period of time - thousands, or even millions of years.

I guess I should point out here that I don't know what the "official church doctrine" is on this matter. Quite frankly, I've never cared enough to ask. I had my own answers from the study I've done and it's made perfect sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of churches followed a similar rationale than the one I suggested above.

Though my personal study has led me to the conclusion that Genesis is not in fact an account of how the earth was created. THe linguistic structure is very reminiscent of poetry. I take the text not as an account of how things came to be, but an an account of the one behind it all (God).

Regardless of whether it's literally seven days, or whether it's just a large period of time, or whether it's a poetic rendition, when I read it, I get the same core message - God was the cause.

Hope that helps :tu:

Regards, PA

• Like 3

That's a very good question, but just to point out - not everyone of us Christians believe that evolution and the dinosaurs are abruptly a misconception, or something not of our peaceful world :rolleyes:...

To tell you my view point, the seven days of creation talked about in Genesis, was WAY more than seven days (obviously, there is no other possible scientific way). In fact, it was an abbreviation, for many MORE days. A extended thread of evolution, when he put the smallest cell on the planet to evolve into the mightiest of dinosaurs, and into animals, and thus into man. A long stretch of creation, if I may say so. Genesis is filled with all sorts of hidden secrets ;).

There is no spontaneous creation in Genesis. It is all written as evolving in stages. Man as the most evolved animal is listed as last.

Believe it or not, somehow ancient man was able to figure out that he was smarter than a fish or a rabbit. As hard as this is to believe it is absolutely true.

='__Kratos__' date='Oct 11 2006, 02:40 AM' post='1385351']

Here's a laid out view of Christians on the dinosaurs... Remember what you've learned in school when reading this... ;)Link

I'm not disrespecting or bashing Christians, but how they explain the Dinosaurs is absurd. They claim that evolution scientists have no proof of the age of bones they dug up. Where is thier proof that science is wrong? Not the Bible, but solid proof. I've never heard the theory that Noah didn't have room for the dinosaurs, that's why they died. Come on, they gotta do better than that. The Earth is only 6000 years old? Again, how did they come up with that number. It says that passages in the Bible are the key to finding the age of the Earth and Heavens, which ones? How can anyone look at Genesis and read deep enough to figure out the story of the Dinosaurs when it says nothing about them?

• Like 1

Many christians don't take the bible literally, and can happily live with evolution and dinosaur's I'm going to tell my very old dinosaur joke "what do you call a short-sighted dinosaur? A doyouthinkhesaurus" :D

Edited by hetrodoxly

I have to take sides with Paranoid A.

The Bible does not claim anywhere that God created the Man first.

In fact, if we read Genesis, we will see that god createt the Human not once but twice.

Adam is not the first Human created, but the first with a soul.

Further more, translating into todays science to create something in one, two or six days is quiet posible if we go by light years e.g. Quran about Gabriel: for him one day is for us 50000 years, or 500000.

Speed of the light. Unknown back then, or?

So does the Bible denies the exsitence of dinosaurs? No.

Does the bible confirms the existence of dinosaurs? Indirectly by mentioning animals in the see and land and skys.

At the end, dinosaurs were animals too, or?

It is my opinion that saying the "7 days" could actually be many years or a million years is just another example of people changing the words of the bible to not allow the sacred book to be debunked.

Edited by SwampGator
  • Like 1

I'm not disrespecting or bashing Christians, but how they explain the Dinosaurs is absurd. They claim that evolution scientists have no proof of the age of bones they dug up. Where is thier proof that science is wrong? Not the Bible, but solid proof. I've never heard the theory that Noah didn't have room for the dinosaurs, that's why they died. Come on, they gotta do better than that. The Earth is only 6000 years old? Again, how did they come up with that number. It says that passages in the Bible are the key to finding the age of the Earth and Heavens, which ones? How can anyone look at Genesis and read deep enough to figure out the story of the Dinosaurs when it says nothing about them?

Their 'proof' is attacking science and saying all the testing methods under the sun are false.

At the end, dinosaurs were animals too, or?

So by some odd and amazing happening the T-Rexs, raptors and more... All lived together in peace with mankind?

Their 'proof' is attacking science and saying all the testing methods under the sun are false.

So by some odd and amazing happening the T-Rexs, raptors and more... All lived together in peace with mankind?

That is what you think, I wouldn't agree they met.

All I am saying is that the process of the creation took much longer than six days, however there is always the difficultie to explain people in a way they would not understand.

E.g. Jesus was way ahead of his time. That is why he had to use simple words easier understandeble to mankind at this time. In using the word 'love' in love your neighbour he ment solidarity. To help out in need even if you do not talk to your neighbour.

How much would we understand if another Jesus would preach among us now. A Jesus who would be, again, way ahead of our time, if he would use words and meanings not "invented" yet or not understandible for us yet. He would have to use the words that we are able to understand. And, I doubt that he ( or Abraham, Moses, Mohamed......) would bother us with less important things for now.

That people like to twist around the words and the truth down the road is not his or Moses or Mohameds or............. fault.

That is us, humans.

Edited by odas

I came up with this same question long ago when i started to question my faith. I asked this somewhat blasphemous question to a priest, and several of my christian friends, and got the same reply from every one of them. Or at least along the same lines as "Satan put the dinosaurs on earth to make man doubt god." Some even went as far to say that he not only intended for fossils to make us doubt god, but also to be turned into oil to cause turmoil and corruption among humans.

I, being a true down to earth neutrality loving agnostic, dont really care one way or another whether or not God existed, asking questions only wastes your time, the only way to find out once and for all is to die.

Btw, to the guy who said dinosaurs were 99.9 percent proven to have existed. They have been proven to have existed. Period. No .1 of doubt, they did, period.

Edit: Removed Offensive language and personal attack.

Edited by AztecInca

Like PA mentioned the Genesis account shows man being created last.

Additionally, it never mentions any animals in particular, just like it doesn't mention any fish or birds in particular.

The Bible does mention dinosaurs after the Flood. If you read the description of behemoth in Job and the descritption of leviathan, some people see these as descriptions of dinosaurs.

So, the dinosaurs were probably in the ark too. Remember, even the eggs of the largest dinos were relatively small, so baby dinos could have been in the ark.

• Like 1

Like PA mentioned the Genesis account shows man being created last.

Additionally, it never mentions any animals in particular, just like it doesn't mention any fish or birds in particular.

The Bible does mention dinosaurs after the Flood. If you read the description of behemoth in Job and the descritption of leviathan, some people see these as descriptions of dinosaurs.

So, the dinosaurs were probably in the ark too. Remember, even the eggs of the largest dinos were relatively small, so baby dinos could have been in the ark.

No way a ship built out of wood could be big enough to to support the size and weight of two of each of the dinosaur species (the largest wood ships ever documented have been around 400 ft. tops)

If they were in the ark, then why do some say that the flood killed them off? Did Noah really have time to determine male from female dinosaurs along with all of the other responsibilities he had not to mention gathering food for both herbivore and carnivorous dinosaurs.

If they were in the ark, then why do some say that the flood killed them off? Did Noah really have time to determine male from female dinosaurs along with all of the other responsibilities he had not to mention gathering food for both herbivore and carnivorous dinosaurs.

The story says God took care of bringing the animals.

No way a ship built out of wood could be big enough to to support the size and weight of two of each of the dinosaur species (the largest wood ships ever documented have been around 400 ft. tops)

The total available floor space on the ark would have been over 100,000 square feet, which would be more floor space than in 20 standard-sized basketball courts.

The total cubic volume would have been 1,518,000 cubic feet [462,686.4 cubic meters] --that would be equal to the capacity of 569 modern railroad stock cars.

Now comes the question, how many land dwelling air breathing animals would have had to be taken aboard the ark to survive the flood?

Doctors Morris and Whitcomb in their classic book,The Genesis Flood state that no more than 35,000 individual animals needed to go on the ark. In his well documented book, Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study, John Woodmorappe suggests that far fewer animals would have been transported upon the ark. By pointing out that the word "specie" is not equivalent to the "created kinds" of the Genesis account, Woodmorappe credibly demonstrates that as few as 2,000 animals may have been required on the ark. To pad this number for error, he continues his study by showing that the ark could easily accommodate 16,000 animals.)

But, let's be generous and add on a reasonable number to include extinct animals. Then add on some more to satisfy even the most skeptical. Let's assume 50,000 animals, far more animals than required, were on board the ark, and these need not have been the largest or even adult specimens.

Remember there are really only a few very large animals, such as the dinosaur or the elephant, and these could be represented by young ones. Assuming the average animal to be about the size of a sheep and using a railroad car for comparison, we note that the average double-deck stock car can accommodate 240 sheep. Thus, three trains hauling 69 cars each would have ample space to carry the 50,000 animals, filling only 37% of the ark. This would leave an additional 361 cars or enough to make 5 trains of 72 cars each to carry all of the food and baggage plus Noah's family of eight people. The Ark had plenty of space.

LINK

Again, we are talking about an event/story in the Bible, remember, God was involved.

Remember, the God of the Bible is the Creator, He is omnipotent, all-powerful. He would easily be able to create the world in 6 24-hour days, since He would be able to create it in a split second if that had been His plan.

Edited by IamsSon

Again, we are talking about an event/story in the Bible, remember, God was involved.

The ship would have fallen apart at that size, even with modern tech, we'd still need to use metal reinforcement to build a ship near that size out of wood