Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange tracks in the snow

nannerzs

I am not sure where this fits in but here is my story.

My little family and I had awaken to a beautiful morning of freshly fallen snow.

There was about a 1/2 inch of it or so.

My little girl was dressed and ready by 7:15 a.m. and she asked if she can go out and play until it was time to go.

She came back inside and said "Mom, come look at these tracks in the snow". So, thinking she seen some animal tracks I followed her outside. There in the snow where these tracks which looked like tire tracks made by those (then)*new* little scooters.

I thought nothing of it until she said "Look, they go right under the cars". Upon closer observation, I saw, they went right behind the back tires of one car and in front of the tires on the other car. The tracks continued on the other side of the cars as if whatever made them seemed to just pass right through the cars.

I know you must be thinking that my little girl might have made them with her scooter, but she was only outside, on the porch for about 5 seconds before she came back in to call me.

These tracks went all over our yard and around to the back of the house, right under the branches of our poplar trees as well. The branches are about 2 feet from the ground.

There were no signs of where these tracks orginated or where they ended. And there were no other marks made in the snow, that would have showed where the person who made them would have gotten off the scooter to get around to the other side of the cars, or footprints of any kind, had they been pushing themselves on a scooter.

I wish I could have taken pictures of them, but it was the farthest thing on my mind, and I didn't have a camera at the time. If our little "visitor" decides to make

another appearance anytime, I will be ready with camera and camcorder in hand.............

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrismathe

• Mentalcase

• capeo

• wanttono

Very weird...

It’s just one of those strange occurrences that seem beyond all explanation.

Would have been nice to have seen images of this! But that’s the problem with the unknown, you never know when it’s going to happen!

Oh and nannerzs, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy yourself here, we’re one big happy family...

Very cool story.

If you could give us some kind of visual example of these tracks then we might be able to figure this out. Maybe you could draw them on a piece of paper and scan it? If it looked like typical scooter tracks then this story is even weirder if true. It could possibly be an animal that had a big tail or was dragging something behind it. dontgetit.gif

Easy. My wife and I lived in Maine for awhile. In our case, it was never a "who". It was a gas line . They run those underground. thumbsup.gif

It wouldn't be wise to have gas lines under a tree. blink.gif

Roots are always a problem with lines.. LOL. Lines can be placed where trees arent, but who can predict where a tree will pop up? My wife is a electronics technician. She has run , replaced and repaired. You just cant fight nature.

I am still open to any other explanations though . My explanation is not etched in stone. Just an idea spinning in the vast chasm that is my brain. Even a 747 looks small when landing in the grand canyon. thumbsup.gif

Mis-communication, that's all I can say. I never stated anything other then the fact that placing gaslines under a tree wasn't a wise thing to do. I never discredited your explanation. I understand your explanation and it is a good one. I will wait for nannerz to post again before I say anything else regarding this topic.

Okay now....I should have explained in more detail..........These tracks were not made by any animal dragging something or else there would have been animal tracks as well.....there were only these narrow lines about a 1/2 inch wide, all over the yard.

There were no marks in my neighbors yards or any on the street. I do not have a fence. These tracks weren't in a straight line, they wound randomly around in loops , bends and curves like a child would make who was just playing in the yard.

About the pipeline, it possibly might have melted the layer of ice an snow that was already on the ground from weeks previous snowfalls.

I have lived in this house for over 10 years and nothing like this has ever appeared before. There were no other marks of any kind in the rest of the neighborhood or in the streets...It was early in the a.m. And people were just awakening and getting ready for work and school. No tracks were leading to or from my house of any kind.

• 1 year later...

blink.gif

My little family and I had awaken to a beautiful morning of freshly fallen snow.

My little girl was dressed and ready by 7:15 a.m. and she asked if she can go out and play until it was time to go.

She came back inside and said "Mom, come look at these tracks in the snow". So, thinking she seen some animal tracks I followed her outside. There in the snow where these tracks which looked like tire tracks made by those (then)*new* little scooters.

I thought nothing of it until she said "Look, they go right under the cars". Upon closer observation, I saw, they went right behind the back tires of one car and in front of the tires on the other car. The tracks continued on the other side of the cars as if whatever made them seemed to just pass right through the cars.

I know you must be thinking that my little girl might have made them with her scooter, but she was only outside, on the porch for about 5 seconds before she came back in to call me.

These tracks went all over our yard and around to the back of the house, right under the branches of our poplar trees as well. The branches are about 2 feet from the ground.

There were no signs of where these tracks orginated or where they ended. And there were no other marks made in the snow, that would have showed where the person who made them would have gotten off the scooter to get around to the other side of the cars, or footprints of any kind, had they been pushing themselves on a scooter.

I wish I could have taken pictures of them, but it was the farthest thing on my mind, and I didn't have a camera at the time. If our little "visitor" decides to make

another appearance anytime, I will be ready with camera and camcorder in hand.............

84420[/snapback]

• 1 year later...

I see that quite a bit of time has passed since the post began, but here is my story. It sounds as though I had the same exact type of tracks occur 30 years ago in Indiana on New Year's Eve. I woke on new year's day to a fresh 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. My dog had barked all night long. I had a friend stay over that night, as I was just 12 years old then. His Mother came to pick him up when I noticed strange tracks in the snow. I followed these tracks for a few miles! There were a pair of them, whatever they were. Here are some very strange details: We had a large Blue Spruce, the tracks crossed over each other and one went around to the right, the other to the left of the spruce, meeting up on the other side and continuing. They went under a split rail fence( the lowest rail just a few inches from the ground) and down a hill with no revelence to gravity- no sliding or any change whatsoever from flat ground to a hill. They continued into the woods, never imprinting into the mud, just gently carving a 1/2 inch track in the fresh 1/2 inch thick new snowfall. They came to a pond. The pond was not frozen-over, as it had been warm previously, and only had slush on top, so you could throw a rock and it would just sink right throught the slush. The tracks continued over the pond in the slush and crossed the pond and continued on the other side. They went on into a field and then they both just ended in the middle of the field. Now, they could have began at this point, not ended, I do not know, but what is really crazy is they just apper in that field, no other tracks around, so they either hovered above ground and began there, or ended there and hovered into flight. All along the way, there were no other animal tracks, so no dog could have drug a stick or anything like this at all. They could not have been made by a wheel, as there was no penetration into the dirt, just the snow was moved, so anything with any kind of weight would have left deeper marks or sunken into the pond. Now, the other thing is, I do have a series of photos of these tracks. I will have to dig them out, but I do have them, I was and always have been quite into photography, even at a young age, so I did take quite a few photos. At the time, my older brother thought of calling the local newspaper, but decided not to, that they might think we are crazy, or that we made them ourselves, so we just dropped it. But from time to time, over the past 30 years I get to thinking about what these may have been. My only logical explaination would be that these were a pair of alien probes that defied gravity, and simply floated back to the mother ship when they were finished. If anyone can possibly shed any further light on this, I am all ears!

My only logical explaination would be that these were a pair of alien probes that defied gravity,

No offence, but how in the world is that the LOGICAL explanation??

How come so many people come here. Post an unbelievable story then take off.

No offence, but how in the world is that the LOGICAL explanation??

HAHA, yeah chrismathe's having a nonsense.

Could the tracks not have been made by an R\C toy? There are all sorts of mad wheels, tracks, claws and havercraft R\C type things now that could have left weard tracks. You can get toys that fly for fifteen quid now.

If it was a toy it would also explain why they could fit under small objects ;)

Sorry, this does not explain it, as this was 30 years ago. Even today, it would be very difficult for a toy to make tracks for miles, and I am not just talking one track, but a pair of identical tracks moving about seperately and unique. If anyone has a better theory, then please come forward. I am not jumping to a conclusion about an alien probe, I am just saying this is what would easily make sense of this situation.

It's simply some kind of small rodent. In fresh, powdery snow small animals will leave furrows not tracks.

It's simply some kind of small rodent. In fresh, powdery snow small animals will leave furrows not tracks.

yep, i'll buy into that. nice call.

Again, sorry but this is not possible. You would have to see the tracks close-up to realize. They are precise "lines" exactly 1/2" wide. In some areas where the snow was deeper, they were still only 1/2" deep, and exact lines with an edge to the track. These were not made by any animal, I am certain. Also, they either began or ended in the middle of a field, they just simply stopped or started there, out in the open.

Again, sorry but this is not possible. You would have to see the tracks close-up to realize. They are precise "lines" exactly 1/2" wide. In some areas where the snow was deeper, they were still only 1/2" deep, and exact lines with an edge to the track. These were not made by any animal, I am certain. Also, they either began or ended in the middle of a field, they just simply stopped or started there, out in the open.

In your first post you said they had no beginning or end so which is it? Shrews and voles make the exact type of track you describe in fresh snow, especially winding about in circles as they forage. The track would stay the same depth where ever it went due to the animals minimal weight. I've seen tracks line this in my own backyard in RI. The edge will be uniform as the width of the furrow is always going to be the width of the widest portion of the animal. As for starting and stopping, was there a hole there? They can have large networks of tunnels in lawns. It would be very small and a dusting of snow would cover it. Anyway, you asked so that's the most logical explanation. There populations swell and lessen greatly over intervals as well so you may have them one season and not see them again for years after that.

A rodent coming up from underground makes way more sense than an alien probe. What would aliens be probing in the middle of a field anyway?

These tracks are 1/2" wide, 1/2 inch deep. Also, a Vole would not travel for 2-3 miles. There were no holes in the field where they started or stopped. My dog at the time was up all night barking at whatever these were. Many areas, you could see his footprints near the tracks, but not all of the time, so he was obviously following these things. He would have paid no attention to a rodent.

These tracks are 1/2" wide, 1/2 inch deep. Also, a Vole would not travel for 2-3 miles. There were no holes in the field where they started or stopped. My dog at the time was up all night barking at whatever these were. Many areas, you could see his footprints near the tracks, but not all of the time, so he was obviously following these things. He would have paid no attention to a rodent.

Well, I have to apologize because I mixed you up with OP. That's who I thought I was responding to, thus my assertion that you said nothing about them starting or stopping.

As for your case, I'd still say the same thing anyway. I'd also say 30 years ago was a long time and I'd venture that your idea of distances might be a bit exaggerated. One thing I am sure of: no alien probes were involved.

Have you ever heard of "snow rollers"? Sometimes the wind can blow a small lump of snow or ice along the ground for quite a distance. If the snow is wet and the wind is strong the ball of snow can keep growing as it rolls along........but........if it is only a light wind and/or the snow is powdery (as it usually is in extremely cold temperatures) the ball won't grow much at all as it is blown along the ground. In either case a track can be left behind. If the wind keeps changing direction the track can appear erratic, but if the wind is blowing continuously in the same direction the tracks will be straight. If I understood you correctly, you said the tracks ended at the slush covered water. That makes me wonder if the tracks were possibly caused by a couple of small snow rollers that eventually were blown onto the water and sank.

This is something that I had not thought of, but again, this would just not be possible. First, their was distinctly a pair of tracks that acted uniquely, and they curved and crossed each other ofter, especially when approaching an object such as a tree. Second, they went for 2-3 miles! Third, they went down and up very steep banks and hills, and fourth, they crossed right through the slush and continued on the otherside.

• 3 years later...

another appearance anytime, I will be ready with camera and camcorder in hand............

another appearance anytime, I will be ready with camera and camcorder in hand............