Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

General tournament discussion

Saru

Apologies to all who I'm playing against at the moment. I've been away for the weekend and haven't had the chance to get onto the net. I thought I'd have time to at least get on every day to make my moves, but it didn't work out that way. In any case, I'm back now, and ready to bring on the pain, lol....

Apologies - like PA, I was also called away unexpectedly this weekend. I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out that this was just a random coincidence and in no way, shape or form whatsoever were we both together having a mad passionate fling in Paris.

I was wondering where you guys dissappeared to.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Paranoid Android

• Talon

• Subtemperate

I didn't know we didn't have to no longer play two games for each person in the group...Do we?

I have a couple openings if anybody wants a fun game. :tu:

You need to play everyone in your group twice, once as black, once as white, totalling a maximum of eight games for round one. :tu:

I'll give you a game Kratos.

Its about time for a rematch

The Silver Thong has now replaced ACFishing in group C.

I think whats going to have to start happening in order to get us through round one of the tournament is that inactive players are just going to have to time out rather than being replaced all the time.

Any player who doesn't move for a lengthy period of time or quits will be removed from their group and not replaced. Only the top three scoring players in each group will go through, so inactive players will simply end up in the bottom two and not go through anyway.

as of yesterday Acfishing timedout, does that mean the second game is with the silver thong and where does that stand for the others in group c that are and were supposed to play acfishing ?

Abecrombie

All of ACFishing's games have been discounted, so everyone else in that group needs to play their two matches vs The Silver Thong instead.

Most of ACFishing's matches just timed out without a single move anyway.

Just wondering has anyone in my group faced Ashleigh? Just i tried challenging but no space for matches...

I have, finished my first game with her today... but started my other game, since its the only game I have left to play... sorry.

I was just in the middle of one of my games a while ago, and a question struck me. Just for curiosity, what happens if two or more people are on equal points at the end of the group stages?

Edited by Paranoid Android

They'll both go through since it's the top three in each group that go through to the next round.

Ya, but what if.... say 3rd and 4th get equal. Or as you wrote in an earlier post:

The top three from each group will go through to the second round. In round 2, there will be six groups of three. The highest scoring six players from round one will be placed in one group each, and the other players will then be randomly assigned the other two placements in each group.

The top scoring players in round two will then be placed in a single group of six for round three, and will play each other, the top three highest scorers will achieve first, second and third place respectively.

How does this work if two or more players are tied for sixth.......

Thanks..

If two players at the top of a group are drawn then it's quite possible that they will not be one of the top six scoring players in round one anyway.

In the event of a tie though, it'll have to be down to a coin toss for the round two placements for those players.

Hey, Saru... if your wanting a practise game whilst waiting for the next round, let me know. I enjoy learning how easy I can be to beat :)

I've only got one game running on RHP, you're on. :tu:

If anyone would like a practice match anytime until the next round I am online between the hours of 9am and 5pm GMT Monday to Friday.

It would be better if the person challenging me is able to be online at the same time for at least part of the day to enable more than one move in 24 hours :tu:

I started a game Bardude, I work from 7... but I am on for about 1.5 hours during the day tomorrow , then after 4'oclock... and then I'll be online the mornings in the next two days.

I have a couple of queries:

1:

The highest scoring six players from round one will be placed in one group each

Does this mean the highest scorers in each group, as in highest score from group 1, highest score from group 2 etc, or the highest overall? For example I cannot possibly get 24 points as I have already lost a game, but (in theory) I could come second in my group while still earning more points than a winner in another group. Does this mean I would then be seeded or would the winner of another group be seeded?

2:

the other players will then be randomly assigned the other two placements in each group.

Is this total randomness or excluding people already in your group in round 1? ie: can non-seeded players end up in the same group in round two as the people who were in round 1?

Hope that all makes sense, apologies if it's covered elsewhere :tu:

1. It's the six highest scoring players, which will not necessarily be the top players from each group in round one. If your score is one of the six highest then you would be seeded in round two.

2. The other two in each group for round two will be selected completely at random but excluding players you've already played in round one, that way there's more variety as you are not just playing the same people all the way through.

I need only finish my games with Snake and I shall have completed my round.

My thanks to all who have played me. And I look forward to any future players should I continue to the next round.

Uhhh saru, there is a bit of a problem with that, unless you intend to make all groups except the top group of 6 different than groups of 6. Plus, why would you want to group all the good players in one group? Aren't you just eliminating all the best players for future rounds, so that as the good players progress their games get easier? Seems kind of... defunct. The reason that it won't work as 3 groups of 6 round two is the possibility that 3 from the same group don't make the top group. Then you have 3 people who have played eachother going into 2 groups... someone is going to HAVE to play eachother again. I know I'm not in the tournament, but I'll surely be in the 4th tournament :D. I've smited AR twice (soon to be third) and I'm playing Talons right now for fun.

Plus, why would you want to group all the good players in one group?

I wouldn't, thats why they are all being placed in seperate groups in round two.

The reason that it won't work as 3 groups of 6 round two

Round two is six groups of three.

Here's what I posted about it earlier in this thread:

The top three from each group will go through to the second round. In round 2, there will be six groups of three. The highest scoring six players from round one will be placed in one group each, and the other players will then be randomly assigned the other two placements in each group.

The reason that it won't work as 3 groups of 6 round two is the possibility that 3 from the same group don't make the top group.

It's ok, the second round is not 3 groups of 6, it's 6 groups of 3 :tu:

Only one game with Snake left.