Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Houses found near Stonehenge

SilverCougar

However, rather intresting to know!

an exserp

Oct. 13, 2006 —Nine Neolithic-era buildings have been excavated in the Stonehenge world heritage site, according to a report in the journal British Archaeology.

The structures, which appear to have been homes, date to 2,600-2,500 B.C. and were contemporary with the earliest stone settings at the site's famous megalith. They are the first house-like structures discovered there.

Julian Thomas, who worked on the project and is chair of the archaeology department at Manchester University in England, said Stonehenge could have been a key gathering place at the Neolithic era's version of a housing development.

(We need an archeololololgy forum! X) )

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• RollingThunder06

• EnglishArcher

• Lizardian_guy

Will be really interesting to see what develops over the next 3 summers. Would be nice to see more pictures of the area.

*points to ancient mysteries and parallel history forums*

Anyway, the house might have been built for druids who went to Stonehenge. The place seemed rather isolated, so having a house for everyone to go must've been more pleasant than sleeping on the ground.

I still support the idea that Stonehenge was nothing but a calendar.

This is more of an archeaology find then anything that could fit into a forem section where people will go off on alien people building these houses to sacrifice some virgins. ;P Beacuase that *WILL* happen if I posted this there.

I am not surprised by these findings, there is still allot more to be discoverd about Stonehenge. Warm shelter must of been needed during the Winter months, it can get very cold on the plains. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been much excavation work done in the area over the years, i read somewhere they want to expand a road near the site also.

Wow-They are just now being found?? But on the contrare-way cool!!!

Wow-They are just now being found?? But on the contrare-way cool!!!

If anybody remembers a few years ago archeaologists in Egypt discovered the remains of the architects and builders homes near the great Pyramids maybe this is the same idea housing near by for the construction workers what do people think?