Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

AN EXORCIST TELLS HIS STORY

Isis2200

This book "An Exorcist Tells His Story" is another one I just can't put down. It is written by Father Gabriele Amorth and translated from the original Italian.

I am not a Catholic, and I'm more spiritual than anything else, but I feel the book is a very inspirational read during the holidays. It can lead us out of paranoia and fear of the alien abduction phenomenon, and show us how to be strong in our Faith to protect ourselves against evil of any kind.

I highly recommend this book.

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Isis2200

• coldethyl

• Radian

• ~Onyx~

You need to be a member to view it, Isis.

I'm interested in seeing what he has to say.

You need to be a member to view it, Isis.

Ain't that just the way of things?

I read it, it compares nothing to "Hostage to the devil." Malichi Martin.

I am not religious at all, but am spiritual, and learned more from those pages than what I was prepared for.

What does an alien forum have to do with demonic possession?

I am not religious at all, but am spiritual, and learned more from those pages than what I was prepared for.

What does an alien forum have to do with demonic possession?

Hi Sunny:

Yeah, I know what yu mean about the book by Malachi Martin. It was very frightening to read. Another book you may want to read is "The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren." Ed Warren was a famous demonologist who passed away recently.

I am both spiritual and religious. Well, it's under the Paranormal, and I'd say this definitely falls under the Category "Paranormal." :yes:

~ Isis

I want to read it but I don't want to register and get spammed. Will that happen??

I want to read it but I don't want to register and get spammed. Will that happen??

Hi coldethyl:

Well, I don't have information about the book on my forum. I was just saying that I recommend the book. :-) I'm not sure if you'll get spammed if you join. I haven't heard any complaints from any of the other members.

~ Ashiana

i came across this online book when i was searching for something.. search for the black raven or the threefold coercion of hell.. it will teach you how to summon spirits and demons but i didin't try it though, i thought of the consequences i could get. but i read it and was somewat shocked on what i have read in there...

i came across this online book when i was searching for something.. search for the black raven or the threefold coercion of hell.. it will teach you how to summon spirits and demons but i didin't try it though, i thought of the consequences i could get. but i read it and was somewat shocked on what i have read in there...

I'm aware of the "black raven" but that's more like you said, luring of demonic or negative spirits. The book in question "an exorcist tells his story" or "hostage to the devil" is to rid those entitys- not introduce them in. You're right about that, there are consequences....even while reading (Hostage to the devil) I was having some trouble getting thru those pages..I couldn't imagine the other side to that reading "black raven..."

Hi coldethyl:

Well, I don't have information about the book on my forum. I was just saying that I recommend the book. :-) I'm not sure if you'll get spammed if you join. I haven't heard any complaints from any of the other members.

~ Ashiana

I misunderstood. I thought that the link that is your forum was a link to read the book. I apologize.

Do you have a link where I could read the book?

What do you make of someone who vomits up a talisman?, August 11, 2000

Reviewer: David Haggith (USA) - See all my reviews

C.S. Lewis said there are two mistakes people usually make when it comes to the devil: one is not to believe in him at all; the other is to believe in him too much.

According to Father Amorth, only priests have the gift of exorcism. The problem, he points out, is that there are virtually no priests left in the Catholic Church who believe in demons or exorcisms. That's the first danger pointed out by C.S. Lewis. Even Ignatius Press, a Catholic publisher, apparently could not find a Catholic priest who believed in exorcisms because the foreword is written (reluctantly) by a priest who can only say, "I have difficulties with Fr. Amroth's [sic.] approach." He then closes his foreword with the warning, "This book needs to be read with care but with an open mind." Not much of a recommendation as forewords go. It may be that the priest writing the foreword believes in the devil, but just believes there are better ways of dealing with the devil. He doesn't say what it is about Fr. Amorth's approach that bothers him. He does say, however, "I recognize in this book the account of an intelligent and dedicated pastor who has had the courage to go where most of us fear to tread."

Perhaps some caution in reading the book is wise--not that you will go wrong by reading it, but because the other peril with the devil is believing in him too much. The more some people read about demons, the more they see them . . . in everything that goes wrong. They start to live in fear, and if the devil has one great power over us, I suspect fear is his greatest weapon. If you're the type of person who reads a family medical guide and says, "Oh, I have that. I've felt that," and then reads about the next illness and says, "Oh, I might have that, too," then this isn't the book for you.

Though Father Amorth doesn't describe the rites of exorcism--since they can only be performed by priests--he does offer some efficacious prayers for deliverance in an appendix and says that "Jesus gave the power to expel demons to all those who believe in him and act in his name." I'm not sure what the distinction is between exorcism and expelling, and Father Amorth doesn't clarify the matter.

What Fr. Amorth does provides is numerous first-hand encounters with demonic possession. These provide examples that can help one understand the symptoms of posession in order to differentiate it from things that might simply be mental illness. And, as the foreword indicates, Fr. Amorth gives an intelligent account. This is not the account of some faith healer who sees demons under every doily. He's careful to point out that most people need psychologists, not exorcists, and that, even after an exorcism, many people still need a psychologist to deal with the trauma of their lives. Therefore, he usually works as a team member with a psychologist. He's careful not to overstep his area of expertise. He's not the type who goes around casting out "demons of drunkenness," "demons of homosexuality," and "demons of deafness" every time he runs up against someone with a problem.

Some of the events he describes, however, go clearly beyond anything psychology can explain or deal with. Behavior can always be explained psychologically, but Fr. Amorth describes physical events that go beyond behavior or physical illness. What do you make of someone, for example, who vomits up a talisman in the middle of an exorcism? You could speculate that he wasn't careful enough when he was eating his Cracker Jacks the night before. But that would't explain the levitation that occurred during the exorcism . . . just before the talisman came up.

Available at Amazon, along with the sequel "An Exorcist: More stories".

Perhaps some caution in reading the book is wise--not that you will go wrong by reading it, but because the other peril with the devil is believing in him too much. The more some people read about demons, the more they see them . . . in everything that goes wrong.

Read books such as these you either finish the book with the idea its even more of a joke than you once thought, make you paranoid in your belief of the existence, no doubt, or you become more spiritually aware/ in tuned.

I personally wouldn't recommend books such as these to just anyone. -- I had a friend of mine that seriously was angered at me for recommending it (hostage to the devil) to her. She blamed me for her dellusions of demonic forces trying to "possess" her, whispers in her ear, nightmares, etc., after reading it ...even after I warned her of it's contents. Well, anyways...it just beat all. :wacko:

In my strong opinion I think ED and LORRAINE WARREN are/were fakes benefiting on other's horrible situations....

but that's just me.

I personally wouldn't recommend books such as these to just anyone. --

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't like the Warrens much but I love reading about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't like the Warrens much but I love reading about them.

I don't know; from what I've read so far, they did help a lot of people. I'm reading now the part where they actually removed the entity from the home but the entity left with the Warrens. :o And they had to get rid of it.

This is why I feel so sorry about investigators of this type they truly want to help people but they can attract the entity to themselves. I heard a lady stand up in the audience recently to tell Sylvia Browne that she felt an entity was trying to harm them and they had tried everything. Well, Sylvia assured the women that there are NO demons, but strongly suggested that the woman leave that house permanently with her family.

A lot of people can't just pick up and leave. There are money issues and other issues. So I could see how someone like the Warrens would have helped out in situations such as these.

~ Isis

Can someone tell me why the exorcist do lengthy procedures on dealing with demons (the rites of exorcism) when someone could do it the easy way?

Can someone tell me why the exorcist do lengthy procedures on dealing with demons (the rites of exorcism) when someone could do it the easy way?

I diddn't know there were exorcisim "cliffs notes".....I guess ya learn somethin new every possession.

• 2 months later...

Hostage to the Devil by Malachi Martin was, for me, a brilliant read, you could almost feel what the people were going through, very cleverly written. Actually, I've never read another book in the same style, I wonder if he ever wrote any other books about other exorcisms, if so, I would like to get a copy.