Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shelters ban black cat Halloween adoptions

UM-Bot

news icon rTo this day, superstitious souls fear black cats — once identified with shape-shifting witches and even the devil himself — are bad luck. In a modern-day twist, well-meaning spirits worry that people are particularly cruel to the dusky critters around Halloween, when all sorts of supernatural symbols enter the spotlight.

Some humane agencies go so far as to ban black cat adoptions close to the holiday to prevent them from becoming haunted house props or targets of teenage pranks.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Inside Bay Area

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vlanos

• UM-Bot

• FireMoon

• Luziadus

Black cats are good luck in England....and the rest of Britain.... Pagan and Proud of it... :rofl::rofl:

I would love to have a black cat because they are more independent but I have a dog already which I adore so much.

The best animal I ever had was a black cat. She was beautiful, smart and had a great sense of humor. And MAN, could she snatch up a mouse! I've never seen anything move that fast.

I have a black cat. Several years back, right around Halloween, I caught some kids outside petting her (which was fine), but then trying to pick her up and take her away (she was wearing a collar and tags & I ran out of the house and yelled at them soundly). Probably had nothing to do with Halloween though.

The color of an animal changes it immensely. :hmm:

When I was younger I had TWO black cats as pets and I loved them both.

Why would anyone want to abandon or abuse any living creature? It always makes me sad to read articles like this.

Purplos - You said some kids nearly took your cat, i had a adorable long-hair kitten and it got stolen, apparently a friend said she heard some kids say something like 'Look, its over there! Nearly got it...' and then they legged it, thought it wasn't on Halloween, another day of the year, lucky u aye?

Star_girl - I agree that how people can abuse animals is just wrong! I hate reading about these articles too, they make you feel terrible. What has these animals ever done to us? Its our fault we fear them because of others of our kind making up legends and folk lores about the animals.

I have an indoor black cat. His name's Percy and he's very sweet. There is a girl I know who thinks black cats are bad luck, because one crossed her path, and the same day she hit her head while delivering news papers. There's also a semi-feral long-haired black cat that hangs around or house and our nieghbor's house. He doesn't really have a home, but we call him Black Jack, and I can't help but worry with Halloween coming up if someone would take him for purposes such as that.

i had a black cat for years and that was a psyco cat. he would scrach the hell out of us and we couldnt hold him. after a while we gave him to the people next door and ever since then he's a good cat they say. :wacko:

I see cats around campus all the time. A few of them are black ones. All the cats we have here are strays though. The people that move into famliy housing bring there cats with them and when they move out they leave them here.

I see cats around campus all the time. A few of them are black ones. All the cats we have here are strays though. The people that move into famliy housing bring there cats with them and when they move out they leave them here.

thats sad