Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Bandage Man of Cannon Beach

Isis2200

My boyfriend and I had a huge experience with this. This week he just got his Chevy pick up. I found an article on ghost stories in Oregon and the bandage man was one of the stories. We live in Beaverton and there were many other haunted places we could have gone that were much closer but we were very interested in the bandage man story. So we hit 26 and I said I would drive there. Since we knew it was a possibility he would show up in the rear view he wanted to drive once we got close. We get to the point where you can either hit highway 101 or take a right to go to seaside. So I stop right before we get onto 101. I get out of the truck and walk towards the back of the truck and he stops and starts making out with me. Weird I know, but then I told him to stop because there are people around (it's 1 in the morning, there are not people around) we get in and we drive a good 10 miles down 101 and decide to turn around. At this point we thought maybe its a myth so I look up bandage man on the internet. This story pops up and I start reading. 1. It says a guy and his girlfriend are parked. 2. They're making out. 3. They're in a Chevy pickup. 4. Bandage man is known for being seen around the area we parked, right before you get off 26 to get onto highway 101. We did not see him but we couldn't believe how similar the experience was for us. Coincidence or not, it blew our minds and gave us chills.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 years later...

This legend is currently being adapted into a movie directed by first time independent filmmaker Sebastian Bembenek and is being filmed on sight in Canon Beach Oregon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rainsnake said:

This legend is currently being adapted into a movie directed by first time independent filmmaker Sebastian Bembenek and is being filmed on sight in Canon Beach Oregon.

First off.. Welcome to UM Rainsnake :st Please, take time to read the site rules, check out some threads, and enjoy your time here on UM :tu: 

And now on to topic.. holy necropost! But I find it in a good way, I've never heard of this legend before. Thanks for the update to bring the topic up again. Do you know if there have been any accounts of this more recent than 2015? Seems like that's the last one listed here.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/28/2010 at 9:13 PM, SienaJackson said:

Hello. Bandage man is one of my favorite ghost stories. I have read "Oregon's Ghosts and Monsters" and "Spooky Oregon" both of which are my favorites, but OG&M is my all time fave. I live in Lebanon Oregon, never seen Bandage Man all the times I been to those towns, and I'm glad, I like reading about him but I don't wanna meet him. I LOVE ghost/folklore, specially the true stuff!!!

This is also me I had to make a new account but I am still trying to find more info. I've seen several Oregon ghost books with this story in it so I believe it must be true.

• 9 months later...
On 6/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, rashore said:

First off.. Welcome to UM Rainsnake :st Please, take time to read the site rules, check out some threads, and enjoy your time here on UM :tu: 

And now on to topic.. holy necropost! But I find it in a good way, I've never heard of this legend before. Thanks for the update to bring the topic up again. Do you know if there have been any accounts of this more recent than 2015? Seems like that's the last one listed here.

Within the last few days a guy in nosleep on reddit has a story about this.  However it's nosleep and there "everything is true, even if it's not" so although it's a good story I couldn't tell you if it is meant as fiction or not.  Still a cool story that lead me here as I was looking into it though.

Somebody tells a story and dozens of people repeat it.  That is not the same as dozens of sources.

Dead loggers and saw millers there were in plenty.  You don't get bandaged from head to foot in a sawmill  injury or fatality.  They are not going to jump in the back of pickups and hassle teens making out.   Small town high-schoolers pranking might.  Irate fathers might.

They don't eat dogs.  Cougars do, occasionally even in town.   When it was legal in Oregon to hunt cougars and bears with dogs, bears killed dogs,  Cougars usually take to a tree, a bear will make a stand if it can't escape.  I don't know if they ate them. 

The chances of the bandage man being supernatural in origin may be small.  There is evidence on the coast of Indian settlements that were wiped out by tsunamis over the course of the last thousand years.  Piney, do Indian spirits hang around to bother teenagers or just  move on? 

That aside, with all of the human crazies running around, camping is not as safe as it was 20, 30, 40 years ago.  Neither is making out in your Chevy pickup way up in the boonies.   Some of my friends that still go to more accessible and public campgrounds  go armed.  I would rather just stay away from dubious people.

A mummy eating things on the West's Coast? The SyFy Network will be all over this like white on rice. I can actually see the crappy CGI now...and it's crappy.

• 1 year later...

I heard the story in a book called Oregon’s Ghosts and Monsters by Mike Helm. One of my favorites but one of the scariest. 

• Like 1

So, it's spoken of as a ghost, but it eats dogs? I've never heard of a ghost that eats anything. Also, the claim is not that it may be responsible for murders, but that it is responsible. Where is the evidence to back that up? Finally, if it is a flesh and blood guy, who seemingly has wounds that never healed, wouldn't he be pretty old by now? Further, wouldn't he opt to eat a burger out of someone's trash, rather than kill a dog and eat it?

OK, my questions couldn't be more obvious, but they do clearly indicate that it's obviously a myth/urban legend. That said, this story told around the campfire would have campers eyes wide open all night with no sleep. LOL! I hope I can remember it to pull out during a camping trip.

• 1 year later...

Time to do a lesser Necropost. I've a minor experience with the road. Was heading down in 2010? I think? (I'll admit exact date is hazy here. I was helping my ex move to Washington) down the 101 and in part due to my ex refusing to sleep in the car, trying to find a place to stop. Cannon Beach was the first town in Oregon and we spent so long getting ready she was already bushed.

I can't say I experienced anything directly when we managed to totally screw up the trip--and admittedly Cannon Beach's actual line of formless condos were far more horrifying to me than the roads, but the roads itself were some of those that felt just wrong and kind of oppressed. My ex was freaking out on them, though. Not sure if there was an actual specter or something, but the place just had a bad feel. Wheeler had a similar bad feel down the highway, though and none of them were as disconcerting as the backroads around Sacramento.

Never heard of this one. Here in South Texas because of the hispanic population ,we have La Llorona.They even made a movie about her a couple of years ago. You can Google it.Basically  there was a woman who had two children. She had lost her husband or partner, so she was the only one the kids had.  One day  she caught the eye of a very handsome man, believe he even had some money as well.  So they had an affair. When she pressed him about marriage, she  was told  that he would do itm but the kids were in the way. So she drowned them.  When she found out that he was already married, and wouldn't divorce his wife, she killed herself as well.Now this story has been around for anywhere from 300 to 500 years. Also there could be some actual basis for the story. Usually legends like this  have some sort of bit of actual truth in them.

24 minutes ago, HollyDolly said:

Never heard of this one. Here in South Texas because of the hispanic population ,we have La Llorona.They even made a movie about her a couple of years ago. You can Google it.Basically  there was a woman who had two children. She had lost her husband or partner, so she was the only one the kids had.  One day  she caught the eye of a very handsome man, believe he even had some money as well.  So they had an affair. When she pressed him about marriage, she  was told  that he would do itm but the kids were in the way. So she drowned them.  When she found out that he was already married, and wouldn't divorce his wife, she killed herself as well.Now this story has been around for anywhere from 300 to 500 years. Also there could be some actual basis for the story. Usually legends like this  have some sort of bit of actual truth in them.

The version I grew up with in New Mexico is that a woman had two kids that she could not take care of while she washed clothes to earn money for food.  They fell in the river or irrigation ditch and drowned.  She was so distraught over their death she drowned herself as well.  Another version is that she could not feed them so she drowned them then herself.   Her ghost wanders up and down the river banks and ditches and grabs children playing too close to the ditch or river and drowns them.  It is like the boogie man tales used to keep children from doing dangerous things.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The version I grew up with in New Mexico is that a woman had two kids that she could not take care of while she washed clothes to earn money for food.  They fell in the river or irrigation ditch and drowned.  She was so distraught over their death she drowned herself as well.  Another version is that she could not feed them so she drowned them then herself.   Her ghost wanders up and down the river banks and ditches and grabs children playing too close to the ditch or river and drowns them.  It is like the boogie man tales used to keep children from doing dangerous things.

That does sound like something I’ve read. I can’t remember where, but sounds really familiar, and sad.

• Like 1