Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An American Haunting

seanph

Anybody see "An American Haunting" (based on the Bell Witch) in the theaters? Was it any good? Just came out on DVD.

Sean

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hans Dolbrook

• seanph

• TwilightSilver

• xyr0x

Came out on DVD long ago.. And yes it's pretty good. Worth checking out.

It was okay. Not scary enough though.............

Alot of the real story was left out.

Yeah, there's a visitor center you can goto to see the cave and everything. Unfortunetally the actual house was demolished back around the turn of the century, due to indians(if I remember right) had taken the town over, and demolished everything. So now they've re-built a replica of the house, unfortunetally, again... to my knowledge, it's not haunted, like the original one was.

As for the movie, it's worth the watch, but it's not one that you'd watch over and over again.

There's several resources, in a google search, on the evidence and documentation of the Bell Witch incident. This one describing it the best: http://www.bellwitch.org/

I remember googling around, and there's another Witch movie aswell, however I forgot the Title of the movie, and no, I'm not thinking of the Blair Witch.

Edited by xyr0x

Just watched "An American Haunting" tonight. I have to say it's not a bad movie, but not one of my absolute favorites in the genre. Donald Sutherland was good. (One of my fave actors out there) Overall I was mildly dissapointed with it though. One of the good points about it though is the fact that you don't need blood and gore to make a good movie. Overall, it was entertaining, and I would reccomend it to fans of the ghost genre. :tu:

Edited by TwilightSilver

It was alright, I guess. It was very loosly based on the "Bell WItch Legend" from Tennesee. As said before, they left out a lot of the legend and turned it into a "Daddy raped daughter and she got even by killing him in the end" kind of movie that would have been right at home on the Lifetime Network. Maybe, one of their "Moments Of Truth" movies or something.

It would've been a whole lot better if they would have just stuck to the legend and not added all of the other stuff and changed what the Bell Witch legend is really about. If they would've changed like four names, you'd never have guessed that it was based on the legend.

It was alright, I guess. It was very loosly based on the "Bell WItch Legend" from Tennesee. As said before, they left out a lot of the legend and turned it into a "Daddy raped daughter and she got even by killing him in the end" kind of movie that would have been right at home on the Lifetime Network. Maybe, one of their "Moments Of Truth" movies or something.

It would've been a whole lot better if they would have just stuck to the legend and not added all of the other stuff and changed what the Bell Witch legend is really about. If they would've changed like four names, you'd never have guessed that it was based on the legend.

I'd have to agree with that. All of the "Based on a true legend/story" movies don't, for some reason actually have much to do with the actual stories themselves in my opinion.

Thanks guys. Two versions of the movie have been released--one rated, the other uncut. Guess I'll check out both.

Sean

John Belle, was raping his daughter... oh well. Thats for the movie. :P

I thought it was a pretty decent movie, something different for a change. I would recommend the Unrated Edition. I find the Extended/Unrated/Director's Cuts of movies to be better than their Theatrical Releases. Often times, studios require extra editing for theatrical releases to maintain a certain rating, etc.

Sure, it may be losely based, but most book/game/etc. to movie conversions are. There aren't a lot of stories or characters from other media that can easily translate to the big screen. Some get close enough for fans to enjoy, but other attempts don't.

Came out on DVD long ago.. And yes it's pretty good. Worth checking out.

The release date for An American Haunting (2005) DVD was October 24, 2006. Which DVD were you refering to having been released "long ago"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429573/dvd

Edited by CobaltKnight

I thought it was a pretty decent movie, something different for a change. I would recommend the Unrated Edition. I find the Extended/Unrated/Director's Cuts of movies to be better than their Theatrical Releases. Often times, studios require extra editing for theatrical releases to maintain a certain rating, etc.

Sure, it may be losely based, but most book/game/etc. to movie conversions are. There aren't a lot of stories or characters from other media that can easily translate to the big screen. Some get close enough for fans to enjoy, but other attempts don't.

The release date for An American Haunting (2005) DVD was October 24, 2006. Which DVD were you refering to having been released "long ago"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429573/dvd

there was an older version released a while back.

I enjoyed the movie at least. Some parts were pretty freaky.....and the ending was a bit confusing..but good in my opinion since it was definitely different than most scary movie endings.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a good movie but the ending is somewhat confusing in my opinion.

It was okay. I thought they could have done a better job with it though.

• 2 weeks later...

It got really dismal reviews from most of the critics, so I was expecting it to be terrible, but I was surprised at how good it was. Not a perfect film, but really pretty good. Worth renting.

i liked it a lot too,all but the ending.that was just

hollywood bulls*** to make the story more believable!

reda the bell witch story,and you'll see.

Thanks for spoiling the entire plot of the movie!!!!

The movie was overall pretty good but it could have been better if they had stuck to original legend. It was creepy at the end when the ghost of that girl appears and when the woman sees her and looks out the window to see her daughter leaving with her husband then she realizes the ghost girl appeared to warn her about what the womans husband was doing to they're daughter. It was very sick and twisted of story. Just wish they had stuck to original story!!

I was surprized how much of the legend that they left out. I saw a disgruntled neigbor lady, but no witch! So I guess it was loosely based on the Bell Witch. Now I guess all polterguist activity means Daddy's being naughty.

really never explained how he was seeing all those wild wolves attacking him either.if they would have stuck to the legend,and not the hollywood ending,it would have been better!

I thought this movie totally sucked! How come during parts of the movie all of the characters witnessed people being physically attacked, lifted up and thrown around by an unseen force yet at the end the culprit turns out to be not only human but also one of the people who was witnessing the events throughout??? What a completely stupid film!!!