Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Church ghost story

algernon the 3rd

Ok folks here's a rather unusual Church Ghost story, courtesy of what my dad saw, it's not scary just well... odd. I only heard this a few months ago, so I ain't had time to forget the details wink2.gif

Right this incident dates back quite a few years, when me and my brother were kids.

Basically he and my grandad went to church one Sunday (it's a fairly small church - more like a chapel). Service is progressing like usual and then a priest appears to wander out from behind the iconostasis (a wooden partion between the altar and the congregation). Now this person looked exactly like a priest and gave no reason for my Dad to think anything odd was happening.

Then this priest wandered over towards an old lady who was sat down on the left side of the church and sort of bends over (not fully but as you might bend down to talk to someone) and looks at her for quite a while, now she doesn't appear to notice him (my dad isn't 100% sure about this though). So my dad thinks ok a little odd but doesn't raise suspicions of paranormal.

The priest then wanders towards the altar stops turns and then starts staring at my Grandad. Now my Grandad was next to my dad and he doesn't notice anything. The priest just stands there for while just staring and not shifting his focus (bare in mind there's a service currently going on).

Up until now my Dad thinks this is just a priest acting odd. But then the priest turns round starts walking towards a wall and then disappears! Don't know if he passes through the wall or just disappears. There was no priest matching his description in the church, so can't of been a real priest acting odd then appearing to vanish.

Maybe it was some sort of religous "experience", like people seeing the Virgin Mary? If so why a priest as there were real ones in the church? But then again this wasn't the only time my Dad has seen something unusual. Was it a dead priest coming back to check on his flock? I've no idea, my Dad to the best of my knowledge didn't make any investigations, he's kinda "I saw what I saw and that's it".

What make's this more wierd is that this church isn't that old it was built around the 60's (ok it's in a Victorian suburb) so it doesn't have several hundred years history.

Really sorry but location has been with held to protect the innocent wink2.gif basically I've no idea how many people have been told about the incident (few I suspect). Plus a church is easier to identify than a house.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• algernon the 3rd

• Cufflink

• dancin'hamster

• FreyKade

Not scary? I suspect I might have been slighty scared! tongue.gif

The church dates back to the 1960's, so it's still possible that it was a former priest, going about his business. Or it could have been one of those Tulpa thingies, created by one of the people in the building.

Churches put the wind up me. Don't know why, but they just do. dontgetit.gif

Not scary?  I suspect I might have been slighty scared! tongue.gif

The church dates back to the 1960's, so it's still possible that it was a former priest, going about his business.  Or it could have been one of those Tulpa thingies, created by one of the people in the building.

Churches put the wind up me.  Don't know why, but they just do. dontgetit.gif

Well I guess I weren't there at the time, maybe if had been scared.gif Mind you I was pretty w00t.gif when I first heard the story

I'm at loss, could well of been a former priest. Tulpas never heard of them, will have to investigate.

Shame my Dad never investigates these sorts of things, but he does believe in the supernatural, so I guess as far as he's concerned it exists he's seen it and there's no reason to investigate.

Sorry, Algie, I'm being a bit lazy today. First I mis-read Hammy's thread, then I forget to mention the thread about Tulpas.

There's a thread, all about these Tulpa chappies on page six of this very Ghost section. It's called Tulpas~Thought Forms.

Lazy, lazy Cuff. rolleyes.gif

Sorry, Algie, I'm being a bit lazy today. First I mis-read Hammy's thread, then I forget to mention the thread about Tulpas.

There's a thread, all about these Tulpa chappies on page six of this very Ghost section. It's called Tulpas~Thought Forms.

Lazy, lazy Cuff. rolleyes.gif

tut tut wink2.gif

Thanks I found the thread. I've heard of the these things but didn't know they had a special name.

Good story Algie............let me have a think on that one, am not at my best today wacko.gif

Hammy x x x

...sorry.....still not at my best......my creative juices have been drained.

Oi!!!!!

Naughty!!!!!

My creative juices were drained through being poorly-sick, so there *blows raspberry at Algie*

Oi!!!!!

Naughty!!!!!

My creative juices were drained through being poorly-sick, so there *blows raspberry at Algie*

Couldn't help myself could I tongue.gif

I can resist everything except temptation grin2.gif

Found another haunted church story. This concerns St Mary's Church, Thame, Oxfordshire. It is at this church that sightings of a grey lady have been made.

Journalist Frank Mitchell, in 1974, wrote about his experiences.

As a choir boy in 1903, he was told that 20 years before, the Grey Lady had appeared to the Vicar while celebrating Holy Communion. As the vicar approached the lady, who was kneeling at the altar rail, dressed in Elizabethan costume, she suddenly disappeared. Although Mitchell himself never saw the Grey Lady, he reports that the vicar's son and his friend had felt her brush past them on the narrow belfry stairs, and reported the distinct rustle of her robes. More recently, during World War II, many unfortunate members of the Home Guard claimed to have encountered her, while climbing to their lookout on the Church tower.

Quite interesting that cuffy. I don't know why but I kind of expect churches to be hauted, particularly old ones. Guess it's to do with grave yards and funerals.

Going back to the topic , If it was just your dad who saw the priest then try to find out if he can see other ghosts . Your dad just might be a "sensitive" psychic and not know it !

Going back to the topic , If it was just your dad who saw the priest then try to find out if he can see other ghosts . Your dad just might be a "sensitive" psychic and not know it !

I know for fact he's seen other ghosts.

Trouble is I can't remember the stories that well, he has a tendency to tell stories about what happened somewhere when drives through or past the place where the event occured. As I haven't lived with my parents for years, it's a long time since I had the chance to hear the stories sad.gif The ones I remember as the ones I've heard within the past few years.

I've got one quick one.

This goes back a good few years (quite when exactly I can't remember). One summer we were staying with my aunt, and my dad was in the yard of their farmhouse and saw a woman walking down the lane to the farm. He looked away, looked back and she was gone. She hadn't gone into my Aunt's house, she hadn't gone into my Uncle's farmhouse (which is more or less next door)!

However with this story there is plenty good reasons for ghostly happenings, firstly both of the houses overlook the cemetary of the nearby town/village. Secondly (and more importantly) the farm is in continental Europe rather than the UK, so has seen various WWII battles between the Allies and the Nazi's, including one that took place in the fields between the village and their farm.

Why a woman not a soldier, maybe a woman died during a skirmish whilst trying to reach safety?