Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Maltby’s 13 Steps to Hell

Marak

I'm interested in this story but this is all the info i can find on the net:

There used to be a staircase that began at ground level and descended 13 steps below ground. I believe the legend/story was that it was a below-grade entrance to the opulent tomb of a locally wealthy family. In any case, kids used to get drunk near or in the cemetery and would walk down these steps late at night. It is unsure whether there were doors or simply a dirt wall at the bottom of these steps. Regardless, once you reached the bottom of the stairs and turned around you supposedly no longer saw the cemetery but a vision of Hell. The similarity in this story to yours is that this vision drove the subject to insanity. Anyone watching the subject walk down the stairs witnessed them stop, turn, and fall dumbfounded to their knees. I’ve heard that several children emerged nearly comatose from the steps – many of them never uttered another word. the story goes that these steps were bulldozed over (depending on the age of the storyteller, the bulldozing occurred anywhere from 1992 to the early 1960’s) and that the severe NO TRESPASSING limitations were a result of that. Furthermore, There is rumor of illegal late night expeditions – kids with shovels hoping to unearth Maltby’s 13 Steps to Hell.

If anybody has any information on it i would like to hear it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Laura Ann

• Katryona

• Marak

• bammbammrawks

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to get this on the 13 steps. Hope it helps.

Duvall / Maltby - Maltby Cemetery - It is hidden off to the right hand side of the Redmond Duval Road. (20 miles East of Seattle.) It has about 35 grave sights and strange, unexplained things happen there. People have seen women and children, dressed in old, raggedy looking close, wondering around the gravesites. Witnesses have also felt physical things like being hit.February 2005 additional information: There used to be a staircase that began at ground level and descended 13 steps below ground.

There is also this site you can look at but I don't know about the reliability of the info.

Edited by Katryona

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

I just found this site after surfing around while watching an episode of the TV show A Haunting on Discovery Channel.

The show made me think of the 13 Steps To Hell :::

I think it was 1988, we in the Seattle Bat Cave (before "goths") scene were all about checking out stuff like this. A group of us headed out to the cemetary in Maltby one warm summer night. We made sure we would get there as close to midnight as possible for best effect. After about a hour of creeping around we finally found it. You could not see the bottom with what moon light was available and when we tried a flashlight the same result was true. We could not see the bottom. It was frightening and one of the girls was so freaked she couldn't even look down into the staircase. After some nervous joking around to calm her down I decided I was going to go for it. As I walked down the first two steps I started to feel a little sick and the next steps I felt an unexplainable light headed-ness. When I stepped down on the sixth step I became so cold that I couldn't breath and I could hear muffled yelling and screaming. I was not going any further ... I couldn't even take the next step. When I turn my back to walk back up I could feel a pushing on my back and I could not see out up to my friends clearly. Finally I reached the top steps I realized the yelling and screaming was coming from my friends who were franticly telling me that they had lost sight of me. I am six feet tall, I couldn't have been out of sight having only gone down half way down. Needless to say we were all completely freaked out and got the hell out of there as quickly as our pointy Fluvoges would let us. To this day, every now and then I dream about that staircase and I always wake up cold.

Thanks for a place to tell my story.

Cheers,

BAMMBAMM

Seattle WA USA

• 2 years later...

The 13 Steps down to hell were located in Maltby Cemetery in Washington. There used to be a staircase that began at ground level and descended down under the earth. It was said to be low-grade entrance to the tomb of a wealthy local family.

According to the legend, you had to go to the cemetery late at night and walk down these 13 steps. While descending the steps, you wouldn’t be able to hear anything. Once you had reached the bottom, if you turned around, you would be confronted by a vision of hell.

They say that the vision would drive you insane. Those who watched people performing this ritual said that they witnessed the person stop at the bottom, turn around and then collapse to their knees in horror. According to some reports, several children emerged nearly comatose from the steps, many of them never uttered another word.

The 13 steps no longer exist. As the story goes, they were bulldozed or filled in with concrete years ago. Since then, there have been severe No Tresspassing limitations on the cemetery and even rumors of kids making expeditions late at night to Maltby Cemetery, armed with shovels, hoping to unearth the 13 steps down to hell.

“My girlfriend and I wanted to see this for ourselves. You have to go down these thirteen steps and then you see a little chair. If you sit in the chair it automatically means that you have sold your soul to the devil. It sounds really creepy. I was at church with my friend and his pastor said that he went there when he was 16 years old and it was the worst experience of his entire life”.

“A group of us headed out to the cemetery in Maltby. We made sure we got there as close to midnight as possible. After about an hour of searching around in the dark, we finally found it. The 13 steps. In the moonlight, you couldn’t see the bottom. We tried using a flashlight and we still could not see the bottom. It was frightening and one of the girls was so freaked out that she couldn’t even look down into the staircase. I decided I was going to go for it, but as I walked down the first two steps, I started to feel a sick.

After the next two steps, I felt light-headed. When I got to the sixth step, I became so cold that I could barely breathe and I could hear muffled yelling and screaming. I was not going any further. I couldn’t even take the next step. When I turned to climb back up, I could feel something pushing on my back and I couldn’t see out up to my friends clearly. When I finally reached the top of the staircase, I realized the yelling and screaming was coming from my friends.

They were screaming that I had disappeared when I went down. I am six feet tall. I couldn’t have been out of sight after having only gone down halfway down. Needless to say, we were all completely freaked out and got out of there as quickly as possible. To this day, every now and then, I dream about the 13 steps that lead down to hell and I always wake up in a cold sweat”.

Note: There is also a “13 Steps” cemetery in Palo called Pleasant Ridge cemetery. There is a set of stairs leading up to the cemetery gate that has 12 steps. But at night, a 13th step is said to appear.

The 13 Steps down to hell were located in Maltby Cemetery in Washington. There used to be a staircase that began at ground level and descended down under the earth. It was said to be low-grade entrance to the tomb of a wealthy local family.

According to the legend, you had to go to the cemetery late at night and walk down these 13 steps. While descending the steps, you wouldn’t be able to hear anything. Once you had reached the bottom, if you turned around, you would be confronted by a vision of hell.

They say that the vision would drive you insane. Those who watched people performing this ritual said that they witnessed the person stop at the bottom, turn around and then collapse to their knees in horror. According to some reports, several children emerged nearly comatose from the steps, many of them never uttered another word.

The 13 steps no longer exist. As the story goes, they were bulldozed or filled in with concrete years ago. Since then, there have been severe No Tresspassing limitations on the cemetery and even rumors of kids making expeditions late at night to Maltby Cemetery, armed with shovels, hoping to unearth the 13 steps down to hell.

“My girlfriend and I wanted to see this for ourselves. You have to go down these thirteen steps and then you see a little chair. If you sit in the chair it automatically means that you have sold your soul to the devil. It sounds really creepy. I was at church with my friend and his pastor said that he went there when he was 16 years old and it was the worst experience of his entire life”.

“A group of us headed out to the cemetery in Maltby. We made sure we got there as close to midnight as possible. After about an hour of searching around in the dark, we finally found it. The 13 steps. In the moonlight, you couldn’t see the bottom. We tried using a flashlight and we still could not see the bottom. It was frightening and one of the girls was so freaked out that she couldn’t even look down into the staircase. I decided I was going to go for it, but as I walked down the first two steps, I started to feel a sick.

After the next two steps, I felt light-headed. When I got to the sixth step, I became so cold that I could barely breathe and I could hear muffled yelling and screaming. I was not going any further. I couldn’t even take the next step. When I turned to climb back up, I could feel something pushing on my back and I couldn’t see out up to my friends clearly. When I finally reached the top of the staircase, I realized the yelling and screaming was coming from my friends.

They were screaming that I had disappeared when I went down. I am six feet tall. I couldn’t have been out of sight after having only gone down halfway down. Needless to say, we were all completely freaked out and got out of there as quickly as possible. To this day, every now and then, I dream about the 13 steps that lead down to hell and I always wake up in a cold sweat”.

Note: There is also a “13 Steps” cemetery in Palo called Pleasant Ridge cemetery. There is a set of stairs leading up to the cemetery gate that has 12 steps. But at night, a 13th step is said to appear.