Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the "MySTerY SpOT "

Abecrombie

In California , Sant Cruz , a city by the coast is just about a hour away from cities like Sant Clara , Campbell and Los Gatos. It has been known for a long time of a place in the mountains of Santa Cruz , inside a cave of a mystery spot that when a person stands in a specific location inside this cave , they are weightless like in space.

cool huh ? :tu:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abecrombie

• Pax Unum

• speshall mareens

• Lord Umbarger

Can you provide a link?

The only thing I can find in California that has anything do do with weightlessness and caves is the Magic Mountain coaster ride. :huh:

Edited by Shaftsbury

It reminds me of a picture I have seen sometime, of a man just floating in the air (some sort of tourist guy) above some rocks..

But wouldn't this be more populair if it really would be like this ?

Have found this link about a sort of gravitational illusion that includes the site mentioned. Doesn't mention anyone floating in the air or weightlessness so I'll keep searching.

I've been there it sux. there is no cave. its a shed on a hillside slope. I think you can already imagine the disorientation experienced inside. Im afraid disorientation is all that you will find there.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't this be better suited to the urban legends forum? Oh-wel, I'll bite.

its a shed on a hillside slope.

I've seen this place on tv. I've always wanted to go there but havene't yet. There is also a place out there called "The Devils Playground" where the rocks supposedly roll around by themselves.

here the link, my mistake its in the forest

:yes:

http://www.mysteryspot.com/

http://www.mysteryspot.com/articles.html

Abecrombie's weightless brain.lol

Yeah I ve been there too, Actually there are quite a few gravityt anomalies like this throughout the country. There's definitely something abnormal going on there. The cabin on its side, on the side of a hill is definitely there to disorient people but there is still something unexplained there. I got dizzy as soon as passed a certain spot going up the hill. It was definitely worth the $5 or whatever it was for admission.

One of the unexplained phenomena going on there is peoples' height will appear to change based on certain points they walk to, and it happens right in front of your eyes.

You should go there and see for yourself, if youre going to be passing through Santa Cruz

I've been to several of these mystery spot/fun houses, and I've visited about 6 gravity roads... they are just fascinating optical illusions :D

BTW, this should probably be in urban legends section...

Yeah I ve been there too, Actually there are quite a few gravityt anomalies like this throughout the country. There's definitely something abnormal going on there. The cabin on its side, on the side of a hill is definitely there to disorient people but there is still something unexplained there. I got dizzy as soon as passed a certain spot going up the hill. It was definitely worth the $5 or whatever it was for admission.

I've been there as well; I'd have to agree with the earlier poster, it's just built cleverly on a hill. It's not hard to figure out if you closely examine it.

Edited by angrycrustacean

I've been there as well; I'd have to agree with the earlier poster, it's just built cleverly on a hill. It's not hard to figure out if you closely examine it.

I examined it pretty closely. If they were going to fake stuff I dont know how they would fake the pecuilar spiral shape the bark on certain trees around the spot have.. Its odd. And Im not sure how they would be able to change the relative appearance in height between various peoples

And Im not sure how they would be able to change the relative appearance in height between various peoples

The Mystery Spot is a gravity hill type of optical illusion. The phenomena that visitors to the attraction may experience result from the effects of forced perspective, optical adaptation, and certain optical illusions in combination with the steep gradient of the site. That is, the situation inside a Mystery Spot is arranged in some way so that the visitors don't feel that the site's gradient is actually steep (the site is actually tilted, that is), despite the fact that it is. Some of the effects are identical to those in an Ames Room.

As visitors travel through the site, they habituate to this gradient. The effects of this adaptation are then exploited, especially within closed structures, so that visitors may feel as though gravity does not operate as it should in the Mystery Spot.

LINK-> Mystery Spot

I wanted to correct my first post in this thread, and will re-word my statement.

This mystery spot seems to defy the laws of gravity , not wieghtlessness like in space.

Ive never been there but , Im not a physic major either so naturally defying the laws of gravity to me was weightlessness. simple mistake on my part.

Nevertheless, I dont think this thread should be under Urban Legends since it is a actual place and not a theory that is supposed to be a hearsay story. It is a actual landmark where mysterious things seem to be going on.

If they were going to fake stuff I dont know how they would fake the pecuilar spiral shape the bark on certain trees around the spot have

Fake tree bark?

Im not sure how they would be able to change the relative appearance in height between various peoples

Opticle illusion. Ever see that thing with the two lines on a grid and you have to figure out which one is longer then when you measure them they turn out ot be the same length? It's that kind of thing. The way that the floor is shaped and the distance from the viewer gives you the impression that they are shrinking and growing.

• 1 month later...

Here are some pics from their website

linked-image

linked-image

It looks like a gravity thing to me

Abecrombie :tu:

pictures are deceiving, you should try and visit the real site (not a web site), you'll see it's just an illusion... :tu:

I wanted to correct my first post in this thread, and will re-word my statement.

This mystery spot seems to defy the laws of gravity , not wieghtlessness like in space.

Ive never been there but , Im not a physic major either so naturally defying the laws of gravity to me was weightlessness. simple mistake on my part.

Nevertheless, I dont think this thread should be under Urban Legends since it is a actual place and not a theory that is supposed to be a hearsay story. It is a actual landmark where mysterious things seem to be going on.

Been there. It's all about illusion. Gravity is not changed, just perception.

illusions are tricky <_<

In California , Sant Cruz , a city by the coast is just about a hour away from cities like Sant Clara , Campbell and Los Gatos. It has been known for a long time of a place in the mountains of Santa Cruz , inside a cave of a mystery spot that when a person stands in a specific location inside this cave , they are weightless like in space.

cool huh ? :tu:

Hi Abecrombie:

Yes, it is cool. I've been there before, and although I've never been in the cave, right after you get into the public entrance to the area of the Mystery Spot, you see a (I don't know how to explain it exactly) it's like a shack or cabin that was there. People are allowed to go in there and you can really feel the strong magnetic pull. On one piece of flat wood, you can roll a marble uphill. It was difficult to walk in there because of the strong pull. We had to hold on to the handrails.

I noticed the tall pine trees were also leaning a certain way. When we asked someone who worked there, he stated that they don't know for certain, but perhaps a large meteorite landed there a long time ago.

I understand Oregon also has a Mystery Spot, but I've never been there. I want to go visit there soon.

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

Wow, I can't believe anyone thinks there is some "mystery" to the mystery spot. I visited one when I was a kid (there are lots of them) and even then I knew it was an optical illusion. I think there was one at Knotts Berry Farm even a long time ago.

Anyway, here is a article the explains it:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...al/13538046.htm

• 2 weeks later...

i have seen it on tv, its not a cave and a hoax. whats this have to do with archeology or paleontology?

• 2 weeks later...

Yah, Astroworld used to have the wacky shack. It was all steeply angled inside and filled with optical illusion items. The old flaoting but running faucet gag, a shelf that appeared to be angled uphill and balls would roll up on it instead of down. It was quite well done but still, just based on fooling the eye's/mind's perception.

yepyep its just a hoax

• 2 weeks later...