Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Server downtime, restore progress

Saru

Glad you could fix the site again in a quite a short time.

Though if he got in again, then he may also have another way in as well.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• War Eagle

• Ravinar

• Waspie_Dwarf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad you could fix the site again in a quite a short time.

Though if he got in again, then he may also have another way in as well.

Yeah, I noticed that these jerks got in again. Don't these guys have anything constructive to do with their time? I guess not. All this is beginning to make me feel very angry! IPB Image

SaRuMaN quote copied from locked thread:

As much as I'd like an expensive hardware firewall installed on our servers free of charge, unfortunately that hasn't happened.

Just so you know, I would happily donate funds into an account that allowed you to purchase an expensive firewall. I don't speak for everyone sure, but I bet others would be willing to help this way if they could and it meant that these "hackers" (for lack of a more offensive name) couldn't ruin your site anymore.

Think about it, even if everyone donated just 50 pence or whatever, I'm sure you'd get enough.

Edit:

PS: Is the reason why some pics arn't showing up (ie: smilies) another thing thats happened because of this hacker?

Edit 2:

Don't worry, just read the answer to the above question elsewhere :tu:

Edited by thebarman

''To do what others cannot do is talent, to do what talent cannot do is genius.'' :D

That pretty well sums up the hard work you've done just to get UM back on line, let alone fix the damage these slimey weasels have caused.

Well done SaRuMaN.

Just so you know, I would happily donate funds into an account that allowed you to purchase an expensive firewall.

That's very generous and I really appreciate the support, however even a hardware firewall wouldn't stop this type of attack unfortunately.

It's all down to tightening the security, hardening the OS and making sure there are no holes in the system through which someone can gain access. I've certainly learned a lot about these aspects of server administration over the last few days, if anything at least these attacks have educated me in what to look out for and how to prevent further intrusions in the future.

Incidentally if anyone finds any bugs, errors or other problems that weren't there before the server reload, please let me know.

Thanks. :tu:

Spell check?

Edit: There is a thread covering that: HERE

Edited by zandore