Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Characteristics of a Demon Haunting

SilverRain Queen

i hope your not comin at me anvil, because believe me i know for a fact that paranormal doesnt consist of only demons and demon posession

I wasn't coming at you dark :huh: was just a general comment. I ment for some the paranormal includes the existance of demons and demon possession, but not for others. IE even believers have different views on what is and what isn't.

Nuthin worse than a dirty troll :P . As far as the phenomena of "Demon Haunting" goes, it just seems like too much of a coinscidence to me that poeple with no faith(from a religious standpoint) never seem to have problems with "demons".....not that they do not exist or that it couldn't happen....but I don't believe that I've heard about it as of yet.....kinda makes you wonder, are those that would call themselves devoutly religious and staunch in their faith MORE susceptible to demonic "possession" or "haunting" BEACUSE of their faith?

If one looks at it from a Christian standpoint it is exactly the opposite. The Bible says that darkness (as in evil) can not abide with light (as in good). In other words, in the Christian view (from whence the type of demon we are discussing comes), believing in Christ means that He dwells in the heart. This brings protection from evil entities such as demons. It is those with no faith, no belief in God, who leave themselves susceptible to demon possession.

o my bad anvil, true what ur saying tho, some ppl do think like that, i just thought you meant it towards me, its cool tho my bad peace 1

That's very true Anvil. Everyone has their own view. And Cold, I would not pick a fight I am just a feisty old bird - was just defending Queeny on her opinion that is all. I always come back with a comment cos that is what I do!

It isn't to be little anyone, just an opinion just like yours Cold. And anyway wouldn't it be boring otherwise not to debate? Bigons

Sword you may not realise it :huh: but you did come across a little hostile. Like you say everyone is free to give there own opinions :tu: yea...

Bigons

:tu: No problem. I'm guessing that is supposed to say 'bygones'? If so then by all means! I do not hold grudges! ^_^

:tu: No problem. I'm guessing that is supposed to say 'bygones'? If so then by all means! I do not hold grudges! ^_^

It's true! She doesn't! :yes:;)

It's true! She doesn't! :yes:;)

:lol: And well done in the other thread where you had to deal with the number person about mental illness. You said everything that I would have, had I been there. :w00t:

:lol: And well done in the other thread where you had to deal with the number person about mental illness. You said everything that I would have, had I been there. :w00t:

Thank you! *bows*, although according to him, I used every cheap trick in the book!

Thank you! *bows*, although according to him, I used every cheap trick in the book!

Well I don't know about you, but I think Robin Zander is hot. :lol:

Well I don't know about you, but I think Robin Zander is hot. :lol:

Hahaha!

I used every cheap trick in the book!

... and then I just cast them aside like yesterdays garbage... and they came back for more... cause that's just the kind of chick I am...

People don't understand that you can't just classify things as religious or scientific. Things just are. Whether you want to believe in them or not, it doesn't matter. Science will never be able to explain everything, because we, as humans, will never have the capability to understand everything.

I like that SilverRain Queen has simply taken demons (or whatever you want to call them) at face value, and I found her post to be one of the most realistic, level-headed, and informative writings on demons that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Everything I've ever learned about inhuman spirits is in her post, and she makes more sense of it than I ever have. The fact is, she could be wrong, and I could be wrong, but simply being able to take some things at face value is sometimes a feat that few can accomplish.

Not wanting to believe in the things we don't understand is the essence of ignorance and fear. As are beliefs. Beliefs are not important at all. What is important is ideas. Ideas can be changed and molded and they evolve constantly, whereas beliefs are stubborn and aren't supposed to change. It's "wrong" for you to stray from a belief, because they are so "important". They're "important" because people define themselves and others by their beliefs. We would live in a utopia if nobody had beliefs, but just ideas that they allowed to change. An open mind and the willingness to understand what may be unbelievable are so much more important than any belief.

Ok I strayed a bit, but I got out what I wanted to say.

I'd knew I would spell Bygones wrong! lol! :blink: and Cheers Hezzbelle!

I like that SilverRain Queen has simply taken demons (or whatever you want to call them) at face value, and I found her post to be one of the most realistic, level-headed, and informative writings on demons that I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Well, I thought she had an interesting point Tenner. Whether it is a fact I have no idea as I have not personally experienced one. Do demons exist? I will let you know when I see one. In the meantime I am on the fence on this matter as I kind of see each side of the debate and anyway, the subject is just really fasinating.

Another post which was interesting and the line was how come something not scientific be measured by science? Well quite. I haven't looked at any paranormal activity being scientific myself and there just seems to be very little feeback from a scientific point of view when measuring paranormal activity.

If one looks at it from a Christian standpoint it is exactly the opposite. The Bible says that darkness (as in evil) can not abide with light (as in good). In other words, in the Christian view (from whence the type of demon we are discussing comes), believing in Christ means that He dwells in the heart. This brings protection from evil entities such as demons. It is those with no faith, no belief in God, who leave themselves susceptible to demon possession.

An interesting persepective.

How do you explain the many people who experience possession who are also deeply devout?

I believe even Christ was tempted to the last by Satan.

Interesting perspectives may be gained when the source being used is actually consulted.

I'd knew I would spell Bygones wrong! lol! :blink: and Cheers Hezzbelle!

Well, I thought she had an interesting point Tenner. Whether it is a fact I have no idea as I have not personally experienced one. Do demons exist? I will let you know when I see one. In the meantime I am on the fence on this matter as I kind of see each side of the debate and anyway, the subject is just really fasinating.

Another post which was interesting and the line was how come something not scientific be measured by science? Well quite. I haven't looked at any paranormal activity being scientific myself and there just seems to be very little feeback from a scientific point of view when measuring paranormal activity.

Well I'm not saying it's a fact, I'm just saying that in cases like these, some people will make as many excuses as possible not to see things for what they are. They will come up with some sort of scientific explanation for everything, but the explanations are so unlikely themselves, that for that many weird scientific things to happen in one place would be nearly impossible.

An interesting persepective.

How do you explain the many people who experience possession who are also deeply devout?

Well.......devoutness doesn't bring salvation. To quote the Bible, "For by Grace are ye saved, through faith........not of works, lest any man should boast". Ephesians 2:8-9

I believe even Christ was tempted to the last by Satan.

Being tempted is not at all the same thing as being possessed. We are all of us tempted every day in many ways. If we weren't we would have to be God. When tempted we have the option of saying no to it. Possession is a whole other story. Possession means an evil entity/demon is living within. No demon would even dare to try to live where Christ lives already.

Devotion and faith require that you let Christ into your heart and soul.

Many people who suffer possession are in fact more faithful or devout than others. What's that phrase?

The closer to God one is, the easier you may be attacked.

This concept speaks to the allegory of "Keeping watch" during the night as found in the gospels. We are constantly challeneged to maintain our faith in Christ, even during difficult times. Those who are closest to him are the best targets for two reasons.

1. It's just a better 'payment' to possess them. More prestige of taking control of a truly faithful person.

2. When one is certain and sure of their situation or faith, they let their guard down without thinking about it.

Those who are struggling to become closer to God are far more watchful.

So yes, Christ is the ultimate warrior against Satan and demons. There is no question of that and he will triumph in the end. However, faith alone will not protect you from a demonic attack. Humans do not have the capacity to believe one thing completely, thus, they can never be completely faithful or devout. There is always a crack in the armor which may be exploited.

With all of this being said, instances of true demonic possession or activity are exceedingly rare. And by exceedingly rare, I mean they almost never happen.

I think people need to do some serious studying and work on demonology and high Catholic or Anglican theology (which is the basis for this discussion) before they spout off about how to tell a demonic haunting or who is likely to be possessed.

Ignorance is a favorite tool of the Devil...

Wooo OOOOOo OOOOOOO... lmao.

Devotion and faith require that you let Christ into your heart and soul.

Many people who suffer possession are in fact more faithful or devout than others. ...................................The closer to God one is, the easier you may be attacked.............

I actually agree with a lot of your post. But it is important to understand the difference between being devout and having a real Faith in God. A person can be devout in that, they go to church regularly, read the Bible regularly, pray every day and make a real outward display of faith......but have never experienced the sort of deep Faith that allows salvation. Once one is saved, one is saved forever. God doesn't give such a gift only to take it back again. He didn't allow His Son to die for something unatainable. Once a person has experienced salvation his/her body is a "temple" of the Holy Spirit, and where Christ resides the devil (or his demons) can not also reside. From an outward stance Satan and/or his demons can tempt even those who are protected by salvation, may even on occasion be able to sway a person's thoughts and actions, but they can not possess, or take over that person completely.

My own life is somewhat an example of what I mean. Growing up as a preacher's daughter, to all outward appearances I may have seemed devout. I ate, breathed and slept the Bible and its teachings on a daily basis, attended church services 4 times a week, prayed with my family every day. To anyone watching my life I'm sure I seemed as devout as a person can get. Yet, until I experienced salvation I was still very susceptible to demonic possession. Oddly enough, now, as an adult I rarely go to church, yet my faith is stronger than it was in those days, because it is inner faith that counts, not the outward appearance of faith.

Gosh....I just realized how preachy this post sounds. I don't mean to sound preachy. I just think it's important to understand that devoutness and real faith do not necessarily go hand in hand. And that to understand demonology, at least in the Christian sense, one needs also to understand the other side of the coin. I'm not talking about being faithful through being devout or through doing godly work, I'm talking about real inner faith that comes from within, in the heart.

"The closer to God one is, the easier you may be attacked." I agree.....perhaps not easier, but certainly more likely.....because Satan would like nothing better than to ruin a person's relationship with God if he thinks it is at all possible. As you mentioned before, even Christ Himself was tempted. The operative word, however, is "attacked". Attacked, but not possessed. There is a world of difference.

first of all what do we really know about the paranormal that isn't pure speculation or fabrication? The answer is nothing. Sure, we have come up with ideas and terms for ourselves, but we really don't know whats going on. When people talk like they know something about the paranormal and say stuff like residual hauntings and crossing over..i have to laugh outloud. Why is it residual? What are they crossing over too? Come on people don't perpetuate fabrication or speculation! I have been looking for ghosts and especially demons and have found nothing that is really concrete or couldn't be explained.

For one thing if the supposed paranormal occurance is so subtle that you have to make up lies about it..then guess what, it probably was your imagination, etc... I for one would love to find a demon and try and learn from it. Why can't you be on it's side and hear it's story?

why is it so mad and evil...Can i go where it goes? I m sure my interview with a ghost or demon won't come true but I won't give up. The answers are out there, we just aren't on the right track. I mean in all the years, have we heard one explanation on why things are haunted? Who cares if there is proof, what is the thing doing there and what are the mechanics of it? That's science, and if paranormal is to ever achieve scientific acknowledgement, they better start asking the right questions. As for this demon story, i think you made it up in your mind...if not, why didn t you get a camcorder and taperecorder? nuff said!

first of all what do we really know about the paranormal that isn't pure speculation or fabrication? The answer is nothing. Sure, we have come up with ideas and terms for ourselves, but we really don't know whats going on. When people talk like they know something about the paranormal and say stuff like residual hauntings and crossing over..i have to laugh outloud. Why is it residual? What are they crossing over too? Come on people don't perpetuate fabrication or speculation! I have been looking for ghosts and especially demons and have found nothing that is really concrete or couldn't be explained.

For one thing if the supposed paranormal occurance is so subtle that you have to make up lies about it..then guess what, it probably was your imagination, etc... I for one would love to find a demon and try and learn from it. Why can't you be on it's side and hear it's story?

why is it so mad and evil...Can i go where it goes? I m sure my interview with a ghost or demon won't come true but I won't give up. The answers are out there, we just aren't on the right track. I mean in all the years, have we heard one explanation on why things are haunted? Who cares if there is proof, what is the thing doing there and what are the mechanics of it? That's science, and if paranormal is to ever achieve scientific acknowledgement, they better start asking the right questions.

Well I definitely agree with this for the most part. It is all pure speculation, but I don't think it can go much farther than that. Other than people who are sensitive enough to "know" things, I really don't think we have the capabilities as humans to understand some things, ever. That doesn't mean the theories aren't important or interesting, or that we should stop trying to understand. We do our best with the information and evidence we have.

Are demons fallen angles? What are they in the biblical sense? Souls that somehow escaped from hell into our realm? Just curious.