Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"the bloop"

evil_mika

How would Megalodon fart, or utter any sounds at all? A 45 foot shark isn't that big a deal, you know. Whale sharks almost reaches that size.

It is also a shallow water species (like all the other members of its family). Bit deep to for for blue whales too.

• 5 years later...

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• The Carnivore

• thecreeper

• ~Onyx~

I put my money on Cthulu, if its perfectly acceptable to believe in an undead Jewish zombie who was his own father, then anythings possible

Thx for bumping this thread with more offtopic rubbish...

I thought it was established to be tectonic shifting or an underwater volcano stirring :innocent:

Edited by quasar_kid

doesn't necessarily have to be large to make loud noises...howler monkeys are the loudest land animals and far from the biggest..

• 2 weeks later...

lame... i doubt theres any undiscovered animals out there BIGGER than the largest known animal on earth. i know theres probably loads of undiscovered sea creatures smaller than a blue whale, but we would have found it if it was as huge as they say it was. ever think it was maybe a group of blue whales swimming in a tight group?

The seas and oceans are vast. They cover 71% of the planet's surface, are up to 6.78 miles deep and contain 310 million cubic miles of water. Much of the ocean's depths remain unexplored and we know more about the surface of the Moon than we do about the depths of our oceans. Around 230,000 known species live in the oceans, but it is estimated over 2 million species may live in the oceans, meaning that only around one-eighth or one-ninth of all ocean species are known to science.

So when you take into account the vast size of oceans and the fact that the vast majority of ocean species are completely unknown to us then it's highly plausible that there are creatures lurking in the depths of our oceans that are bigger than blue whales.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Thx for bumping this thread with more offtopic rubbish...

I thought it was established to be tectonic shifting or an underwater volcano stirring :innocent:

The source of The Bloop remains unknown.

The source of The Bloop remains unknown.

Yes, and because it is unknown - lets pretend its the most ridiculous, fantastic, absurd explanation possible. its a giant Sea Monster! I wonder when humans will evolve out of gullibility. It seems that its a genetic trait that should have killed some of us off by now.

Only under the umbrella of the paranormal is something's status as "unknown" actually evidence that it is an undiscovered creature. sheesh. :rolleyes:

This was not the only unexplained sound heard..

http://io9.com/5883622/meet-the-bloop-the-mysterious-sound-from-the-bottom-of-the-pacific-ocean

There's also Upsweep, Slow Down and others :) Although the "bloop" is the only one thought to be animal origin

there is the echo location that was recorded in Lake Champlain as well and it is thought to be of animal origin.

you can read about it here

http://animalvoice.com/lakechamplain.htm

Yes, and because it is unknown - lets pretend its the most ridiculous, fantastic, absurd explanation possible. its a giant Sea Monster! I wonder when humans will evolve out of gullibility. It seems that its a genetic trait that should have killed some of us off by now.

Only under the umbrella of the paranormal is something's status as "unknown" actually evidence that it is an undiscovered creature. sheesh. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous and absurd, yet the idea of a Jewish zombie who was his own father, could walk on water, heal just by touching ppl, etc is completely plausible in today's world but the idea of any other monster/god existing is unacceptable, smells like a double standard

Wasn't that long ago we thought the depths of the ocean would be completely lifeless. Then we found the volcanic vents were life thrives. My only question is size however, we haven't found anything any significant size, yet.

Ridiculous and absurd, yet the idea of a Jewish zombie who was his own father, could walk on water, heal just by touching ppl, etc is completely plausible in today's world but the idea of any other monster/god existing is unacceptable, smells like a double standard

Not sure exactly where your logic is going - seems circular. So if you believe in sea monsters then the mythology of Jesus must also be true right? If A then B, then therefore if B then A right? At any rate I'm not a proponent of Christianity, so again - not sure where you were going with this.

My point is that cryptozoology's insistence on usuing imagination and fantasy in leiu of actual evidence will always do nothing but degrade its credibility.

So when you take into account the vast size of oceans and the fact that the vast majority of ocean species are completely unknown to us then it's highly plausible that there are creatures lurking in the depths of our oceans that are bigger than blue whales.

It's possible, but why "highly plausible"??

Edited by Abramelin

This was not the only unexplained sound heard..

http://io9.com/5883622/meet-the-bloop-the-mysterious-sound-from-the-bottom-of-the-pacific-ocean

There's also Upsweep, Slow Down and others :) Although the "bloop" is the only one thought to be animal origin

It is not thought to be of animal origin by the people who found it and analyse the Oceans still, only by some conspiracy theorists.

Really? What about someone who joins a forum to rant about religion in a cryptozoology thread? That too seems somewhat ridiculous and absurd.

Wasn't that long ago we thought the depths of the ocean would be completely lifeless. Then we found the volcanic vents were life thrives. My only question is size however, we haven't found anything any significant size, yet.

I think the main thing is that nothing has been found at that depth that could possibly sustain an animal of significant proportion.

Edited by psyche101

orangepeaceful79, on 08 April 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Maybe you should tell all those scientists who believe that only a tiny fraction of all the creatures in our oceans have so far been discovered. Experts say that there are probably 2 million different species living in our oceans, but only 230,000 of them - just over an eighth - are known to science, which means that seven-eighths of all the creatures that live in the ocean have not even been discovered. So those scientists must be wrong because you obviously know something that they don't.

In my view, what is absurd is anybody stating with any certainty that there are no large undiscovered sea creatures.

Also, what do you mean by "giant sea monster"? Surely giant sea monsters have already been discovered. We call them whales and sharks.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

I think the main thing is that nothing has been found at that depth that could possibly sustain an animal of significant proportion.

The water where the Bloop was discovered is about 15,000 feet deep.

Sperm whales can dive to about that depth.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Maybe you should tell all those scientists who believe that only a tiny fraction of all the creatures in our oceans have so far been discovered. Experts say that there are probably 2 million different species living in our oceans, but only 230,000 of them - just over an eighth - are known to science, which means that seven-eighths of all the creatures that live in the ocean have not even been discovered. So those scientists must be wrong because you obviously know something that they don't.

In my view, what is absurd is anybody stating with any certainty that there are no large undiscovered sea creatures.

Also, what do you mean by "giant sea monster"? Surely giant sea monsters have already been discovered. We call them whales and sharks.

Look, I'm not saying that there isn't a lot we haven't explored, and that there aren't undiscovered creatures. There would simply have to be - the oceans are enormous. Where I take issue is when people use that LACK of information (because empirically that is what it is - a deficit of knowledge) as evidence that cryptid megafauna exist. Imagining that there are unknown creatures is wonderful - its fun to do, and I do it sometimes too. My favorite childhood book was McEllgot's Pool by Dr. Seuss for this very reason. But it is fallacious and foolhardy to use "the unknown" as empirical evidence for its own exisitence, which happens often in Cryptozoology and Paranormal studies as well.

When I talk about "giant sea monsters" I'm referring to posts in this very thread advocating the exisitence of Kthulu, C. Megalodon, etc. Creatures that there either has been no evidence for their existence at all (Kthulu) or creatures that there is no evidence to support their status as anything other than an extinct species (C. Megalodon).

Look, I'm not saying that there isn't a lot we haven't explored, and that there aren't undiscovered creatures. There would simply have to be - the oceans are enormous. Where I take issue is when people use that LACK of information (because empirically that is what it is - a deficit of knowledge) as evidence that cryptid megafauna exist. Imagining that there are unknown creatures is wonderful - its fun to do, and I do it sometimes too. My favorite childhood book was McEllgot's Pool by Dr. Seuss for this very reason. But it is fallacious and foolhardy to use "the unknown" as empirical evidence for its own exisitence, which happens often in Cryptozoology and Paranormal studies as well.

We don't IMAGINE that unknown creatures exist. We KNOW that unknown creatures exist. Only a tiny proportion of all the planet's species are known to science. It is estimated that there are around 9 million species on Earth, and 90% of them have yet to even be discovered.

There are almost certainly creatures of which we can't even imagine living in our oceans.

When I talk about "giant sea monsters" I'm referring to posts in this very thread advocating the exisitence of Kthulu, C. Megalodon, etc. Creatures that there either has been no evidence for their existence at all (Kthulu) or creatures that there is no evidence to support their status as anything other than an extinct species (C. Megalodon).

If an unknown species - one of the 90% of the Earth's total species which have yet to be discovered - caused The Bloop then it is impossible to say what it is as it isn't, yet, known to science, so speculation is all we have.

And don't forget that the coelacanth was assumed to have been extinct since the Late Cretaceous Period until a living specimen was found in the Indian Ocean in the 1930s.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

We don't IMAGINE that unknown creatures exist. We KNOW that unknown creatures exist. Only a tiny proportion of all the planet's species are known to science. It is estimated that there are around 9 million species on Earth, and 90% of them have yet to even be discovered.

There are almost certainly creatures of which we can't even imagine living in our oceans.

Although the majority of species yet to be discovered will be variations of currently known species and likely to not be unimaginable to exist.

Not that this should take anything away from the discovery of new species, just don't expect any 200ft serpents or Plesiosaurs.

We don't IMAGINE that unknown creatures exist. We KNOW that unknown creatures exist. Only a tiny proportion of all the planet's species are known to science. It is estimated that there are around 9 million species on Earth and 90% of them have yet to even be discovered.

If an unknown species - one of the 90% of the Earth's total species which have yet to be discovered - caused The Bloop then it is impossible to say what it is as it isn't, yet, known to science, so speculation is all we have.

And don't forget that the coelacanth was assumed to have been extinct since the Late Cretaceous Period until a living specimen was found in the Indian Ocean in the 1930s.

I'm glad you agree. And I invite you to speculate in one hand and defecate in the other - report back and tell me which fills up faster. All the cryptid speculation in the world is worth nothing until empirical evidence is produced.