Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"the bloop"

evil_mika

^

What the hell does champ have to do with this!?

but its pretty plausible that it mightve been bigger than a blue whale, but it isnt certain. it just mightve been a giant something

Or perhaps a minnow was under their magnifying glass.™

AKA: They mistook or exaggerated it's size.

I hereby copyrite the above sentance.

Edited by sadistic jellyfish of doom

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• The Carnivore

• thecreeper

• ~Onyx~

:tu: SJOD

Snapping Shrimp Stun Prey with Flashy Bang

By John Roach

for National Geographic News

October 3, 2001

Among the fascinating creatures of the deep is a finger-size shrimp with an oversize claw—resembling a boxing glove—that it uses to stun its prey by snapping the claw shut. The snapping produces a sharp cracking sound.

When colonies of the shrimp snap their claws, the cacophony is so intense that submarines can take advantage of it to hide from sonar.

A year ago, a team of European scientists revealed that the sound is caused by the bursting of a bubble that forms when a shrimp snaps its claw shut. Now, the team reports that the bubble emits not only sound but a flash of light—indicating the extreme temperature and pressure inside the bubbles before they burst.

Email to a Friend

What this light part does is highlights the extreme conditions achieved at collapse, said Detlef Lohse, a physics professor at the University of Twente in the Netherlands.

Lohse and his colleagues Michel Versluis, also from the University of Twente, and Barbara Schmitz of the Technical University of Munich in Germany explain the flashes of light associated with the bubble collapse in the October 4 issue of Nature.

Flashy Bubbles

The shrimp, Alpheus heterochaelis, is a dirty-green crustacean that prowls the shallow waters of tropical seas. It has two claws', one resembling an oversize boxing glove, which it uses to stun prey, such as small crabs, by snapping the oversize claw shut.

Lohse and his colleagues reported in the September 22, 2000, issue of Science that the stunning snap comes not from the clap of the claws coming together but from a bubble generated by the claws' rapid closing motion.

When the claw snaps shut, a jet of water shoots out from a socket in the claw at speeds of up to 62 miles (100 kilometers) an hour, generating a low-pressure bubble in its wake. As the pressure stabilizes, the bubble collapses with a loud bang.

The whole process, which was recorded with the use of high-speed cameras and sound equipment, occurs within 300 microseconds.

Now, using a device that counts photons, Lohse and his colleagues recorded a flash of light that occurs when the bubble collapses.

The flashing phenomenon is thought to be similar to sonoluminescence, in which bubbles that are in a liquid driven by a strong sound field emit light. The researchers have dubbed the shrimp activity shrimpoluminescence.

In sonoluminescence, the peak intensity of the emitted light is at a short wavelength. This indicates that the temperature inside the bubble is at least 10,000 degrees Kelvin (18,000 degrees Fahrenheit).

Some theorize that plasma is momentarily created.

ok frogfish, im actually going up to lake champlain in a few weeks. if by some chance, i catch a baby specimen of champ, will you take back everything you thought was nonsense

yes :)

Actually my posts contributes alot.. if anything to get you to see that you're not the end all and begin all to all things scientific.

You'd have thought that little time out session given you would have made you realize that. Ah well.. somepeople just refuse to learn. My post wasn't to bring evidence into the whole thing, but to prove that *YOU* do not know what it could truly be, and right out dissmissing someone's elses view as a "could be" saying that it's a fact that it's not. *snorts* When you hardly know what it is yourself.

I'm still waiting for evidence. Because as far as I know, I'm right :)

I iamgine if it's something than a regular blue whale, it's grandpa blue whale try to hum the theme of Deliverance....

maybe its a larger than normal blue whale?

After reading these posts.....

Who the hell cares about that 'thing'?! I WANT THAT SHRIMP! 8D

I'm a very disturbed person... I'm already thinking of cannons to make with that shrimp theory....

After reading these posts.....

Who the hell cares about that 'thing'?! I WANT THAT SHRIMP! 8D

I'm a very disturbed person... I'm already thinking of cannons to make with that shrimp theory....

Mmmk Anyway! :huh:

Now back to the topic!

So I have a question! What is the percentage of the ocean depths that we have not,

explored yet?

Anyway my point is it could be any number of things that could have caused that Bloop.

Edited by Silentom

So I have a question! What is the percentage of the ocean depths that we have not,

explored yet?

I'd say most is unexplored. I guess 99% below 1,000 feet depth is unknown.

I'd say most is unexplored. I guess 99% below 1,000 feet depth is unknown.

Exactly! so it could be very possible something that we know nothing about made this loud noise.

I have had to edit various posts due to name calling. This is rude and not acceptable on UM. In future please refrain from doing such however passionately you feel about a subject.

PISTOL SHRIMP!!! :D

Thank you, Frogfish! Nice one! :tu: Also, thanks to SJOD for the info. :tu: I knew it generated a lot of noise but 200Db!? That's bloody loud for such a small critter eh?

Think that just goes to show you don't need to be big to make big noise- Just look at Bruce Dickinson, the short frontman of Iron Maiden... aka the Air Raid Siren!:tsu:

Thank you, Frogfish! Nice one! Also, thanks to SJOD for the info. I knew it generated a lot of noise but 200Db!? That's bloody loud for such a small critter eh?

They actually sell those for sal****er aquaria...I don't think I would buy one in fear of coming home to a shattered tank :P

maybe its a larger than normal blue whale?

Or maybe it's a malfunction on thier sonar?

They actually sell those for sal****er aquaria...I don't think I would buy one in fear of coming home to a shattered tank :P

From what I've heard, mantis shrimps are worse.

IPB Image\

Especially with those little calcified clubs and/or spikes on their pedipalps.

Yes, a mantis shrimp can kill every single living thing in your tank in a week.

Those are nasty little buggers...

Yes, a mantis shrimp can kill every single living thing in your tank in a week.

Those are nasty little buggers...

what about a pistol shrimp?, with that claw of theres, maybe its a bunch of pistol shrimp that made the bloop

what about a pistol shrimp?, with that claw of theres, maybe its a bunch of pistol shrimp that made the bloop

Synchronized pistol shrimp.....be afraid, be VERY afraid.

MY GOSH

Did you guys said pistol shrimp made that 'bloop'?

A few of my reefing friends and i had kept pistol shrimp before intentionally or unintentionally.

True, they snapping sound can be heard out of the tank every now then then, but making such a loud 'bloop'? IMPOSSIBLE.

As for them breaking the glass 1.8m away? To be frank, i didn't heard of that before. Many of us keep pistol shrimp in a tank smaller then 1m in both width and lenght but still i didnt know of any incident happening.

As for mantis shrimp, you have to be very careful, there are known incident of them breaking a tank with a knock. i am taking about glass of at least 10mm thickness. Anyway, mantis shrimp do make the snapping sound too.

just my $0.02

Edited by weisheng

Mantis shrimp have also cracked the shells and skulls of fish and inverts in my tank too :( Then I had to crush it's shell :)

• 3 weeks later...

ok let me clarify wat angrycrustacean was trying to explain. a low frequency sound can only be generated by a large sound producing mechanism. thats why u will nvr ever here a cricket/cicada making anything other then a high frequency noise. their size limits them to a small sound producing mechanizm therefore a high frequency can only be generated. a blue whale on the other hand is a very large creature and has the proportions to be able to have a large sound producing mechanism.

Mantis shrimp have also cracked the shells and skulls of fish and inverts in my tank too :( Then I had to crush it's shell :)

would a mantis shrimp kill a pistol shrimp

would a mantis shrimp kill a pistol shrimp

Not if the Pistol Shrimp used it's mecha-sword as it's first attack. ;)

Not if the Pistol Shrimp used it's mecha-sword as it's first attack. ;)

what on earth was that silly post for, how big can pistol shrimp get, maybe a giant pistol shrimp made the "Bloop"