Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Four decades of The Mothman

UM-Bot

user posted image rExactly 40 years ago, on Nov. 15, 1966, Roger and Linda Scarberry became some of the first people at the Point Pleasant TNT area to see and have a frightening experience with the flying creature that has become known as "The Mothman." That next day, long lines of cars were out at TNT trying to see the winged creature and see it they did.During the rest of 1966 through 1967, Mothman was sighted by more than 100 adults in Mason, Lincoln, Logan, Kanawha and Nicholas counties, according to John Keel's famous book, "The Mothman Prophecies," which spawned the major motion picture starring Richard Gere.Described as larger than a man, a near 10-foot wingspan with the ability of helicopter-like take-offs and flying speeds of nearly 100 miles an hour, Mothman struck fear and curiosity across the country."He staged his appearances with clever showmanship, popping up in unexpected places in front of witnesses who had previously been skeptical," Keel writes in his book.After the Silver Bridge collapsed on Dec. 15, 1967, the sightings of the Mothman, as well as the equally creepy and extensive sightings of Men in Black and UFOs mysteriously subsided.

To mark the 40th anniversary of that first reported wide-spread sighting of the Mothman, we touched base with Point Pleasant resident Jeff Wamsley, the author of "Mothman: The Facts Behind The Legend with Donnie Sergent, Jr., and "Mothman : Behind the Red Eyes ... The Complete Investigative Library."

IPB Image\ View: Full Article | Source: Herald Dispatch

This mothman thing is a fairy tale. I really don't believe it. <_<

Yea i agree with ghostkol but, he still is pretty cool B)

Edited by Boo_ Boi

It's been four decades? Who knew. Thanks for the article.

This mothman thing is a fairy tale. I really don't believe it. <_<

Oh you don't believe it huh? I guess you do believe in Aliens and Bigfoot though right?

IPB Image\Exactly 40 years ago, on Nov. 15, 1966, Roger and Linda Scarberry became some of the first people at the Point Pleasant TNT area to see and have a frightening experience with the flying creature that has become known as "The Mothman." To mark the 40th anniversary of that first reported wide-spread sighting of the Mothman, we touched base with Point Pleasant resident Jeff Wamsley, the author of "Mothman: The Facts Behind The Legend with Donnie Sergent, Jr., and "Mothman : Behind the Red Eyes ... The Complete Investigative Library."

Hi SaRuMan :-)

Yes, I've read John Keel's book "The Mothman Prophecies" which was one of the best books I've ever read. I also saw the movie by the same name.

I met a man online a few years ago who saw the Mothman when he was a boy, along with his sister who won't talk about it till this day. They saw it in Germany while they were living in an apartment complex. They looked out the window one night and saw it in a playground which was close to their building.

I really believe John Keel's Ultradimensional Theory.

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

Oh you don't believe it huh? I guess you do believe in Aliens and Bigfoot though right?

I don't believe in bigfoot either but I do believe in aliens because there is inaff proof shown. If I would believe in bigfoot I would think it is some kind of rare ape species unknown but a Mothman? :no:

I don't believe in bigfoot either but I do believe in aliens because there is inaff proof shown. If I would believe in bigfoot I would think it is some kind of rare ape species unknown but a Mothman? :no:

If you believe in Aliens?....Well then whatever :alien:

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've read John Keel's book "The Mothman Prophecies" which was one of the best books I've ever read. I also saw the movie by the same name.

I met a man online a few years ago who saw the Mothman when he was a boy, along with his sister who won't talk about it till this day. They saw it in Germany while they were living in an apartment complex. They looked out the window one night and saw it in a playground which was close to their building.

~ Isis

I also read "The Mothman Prophecies," three years ago and had many of my unspoken, half-strung-together notions tied together by his research. I have read many books on paranormal since age seven, and instinctively reject most of it. I was very excited, though, when I found that book and didn't put it down all day until done with it. I have a strong hunch that Mr. Keel found a simple explanation for a small piece of the big puzzle.

• 10 years later...

I grew up pretty much in Kentucky/West Virginia. Not really far from PP. And the problem I have always had with the Mothman thing is that so much of the

Yep, the moth man got him before he could spill the beans.

5 minutes ago, blackstarraven said:

I grew up pretty much in Kentucky/West Virginia. Not really far from PP. And the problem I have always had with the Mothman thing is that so much of the

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Yep, the moth man got him before he could spill the beans.

Indeed. Cut off my post before I finished for some reason...

I'm not making the post again it was to long...

But clearly the mothman is a hacker.

_
In short Keel is a Blatant Liar that made up most of his book.

Most of the eye witnesses didn't even agree on the color of the thing.

-

And when people claim that there are sighting all over the place.. no, just no..

____

I'm not saying it was Barn Owls..... But it was Barn Owls.....

Edited by blackstarraven
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2006 at 9:25 PM, Isis2200 said:

~ Isis

The Mothman is very interesting because it's just so weird. I loved the movie. It had a surreal, creepy feel to it. 

I really liked this quote:    If there was a car crash ten blocks away, that window washer up there could probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road.

On the ultradimensional thing, I feel like djinn are just having a popularity surge right now. Ultimately, I believe all of this stuff stems from our psyche. Not that it isn't "real" in the sense that we can experience it. It just isn't independent of us. That's why whatever belief system you have, you can always find some way of ridding yourself of phenomena. 

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:25 AM, ChaosRose said:

The Mothman is very interesting because it's just so weird. I loved the movie. It had a surreal, creepy feel to it. 

I really liked this quote:    If there was a car crash ten blocks away, that window washer up there could probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road.

On the ultradimensional thing, I feel like djinn are just having a popularity surge right now. Ultimately, I believe all of this stuff stems from our psyche. Not that it isn't "real" in the sense that we can experience it. It just isn't independent of us. That's why whatever belief system you have, you can always find some way of ridding yourself of phenomena. 

I always loved that quote too.

I guess im kinda in the middle. Like you I believe we can create things that otherwise didn't exist before. On the other hand I believe there are things out there that exist completely apart from our imaginations.

On 12/28/2016 at 7:41 AM, preacherman76 said:

I always loved that quote too.

I guess im kinda in the middle. Like you I believe we can create things that otherwise didn't exist before. On the other hand I believe there are things out there that exist completely apart from our imaginations.

With all due respect, that second part is the bit that gives your inner demons a ticket out into the world. 

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

With all due respect, that second part is the bit that gives your inner demons a ticket out into the world. 

If I was looking at it based in fear, I'd agree. I don't waste any time in fear of such things though. I also think it leaves the door open for amazing entities. Angels, all the way to what ever is the source of all we see. God if you will. With who knows what in between. I think the fact that we, and this universe exist, means there is a pretty good chance that there is something else out there. Or I should say someone else out there.

Edited by preacherman76

I would my belief level at 80% that the Mothman is real based on the number and quality of consistent sightings including the ones skeptical before their sighting. I think there may be all types of odd entities taking physical form occasionally. It's a wild universe I have concluded.

Edited by papageorge1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I would my belief level at 80% that the Mothman is real based on the number and quality of consistent sightings including the ones skeptical before their sighting. I think there may be all types of odd entities taking physical form occasionally. It's a wild universe I have concluded.

I think you're trolling.  You're using the same non argument here as you do for gods, ghosts, and bigfeets.  Anybody who is trying to convince you of sightings of the supernatural is going to tell you they were skeptical until they "saw" it.  It's part of the sale. You lap it up. 

Why do you consider fables as evidence?  

http://www.taleswithmorals.com/aesop-fable-the-one-eyed-doe.htm

• Like 1

Been to beautiful Point Pleasant on numerous occasions, even going so far as to venture into the TNT area which is now the Mclintic Wildlife area and have unfortunately never seen Mothman. Point Pleasant however is a cute little town, especially the area adjacent to the Tu-Endie-Wei park. If you intend to go Mothman hunting and will be spending the night the Historic (haunted!) Lowe Hotel is awesome, there is an incredible Italian place across the river in Gallipolis and a wonderful winery just up 35 about 10-15 minutes into Ohio.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Butler said:

I think you're trolling.  

You know I am not trolling. You are just uncomfortable with your worldview being challenged by someone smart. How else can we explain the above comment?

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

You know I am not trolling. You are just uncomfortable with your worldview being challenged by someone smart. How else can we explain the above comment?

Nah. I'm comfy thanks. To answer your question ... again .... 

(It was in the part of my comment that you snipped) 

How else can you explain your same conclusions on all things supernatural?  You're convinced of the existence of mothman. 80%. 

You make the same claim on many supernatural topics. You're convinced because of the "evidence".  There is no evidence. None. What you consider to be evidence, isn't even anecdotal evidence.  

Why do I think you're trolling?  Because you employ troll tactics. You make assertions, then fail to back them up. You snip posts and address irrelevancies when you can't answer them honestly. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The first thing to learn about personal accounts is that they aren't reliable and aren't really evidence of anything. People are often mistaken about what they see, and sometimes they are outright hoaxing. Therefore, it isn't actually very smart to believe something when all you have are personal accounts. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZ8YqKnaHRAhUB6IMKHXGaAcIQFggaMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scientificamerican.com%2Farticle%2Fdo-the-eyes-have-it%2F&usg=AFQjCNHpAn_AVldZVmfpaFqPOas5-KzoxA

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Butler said:

How else can you explain your same conclusions on all things supernatural?  You're convinced of the existence of mothman. 80%. 

You make the same claim on many supernatural topics. You're convinced because of the "evidence".  There is no evidence. None. What you consider to be evidence, isn't even anecdotal evidence.  

Why do I think you're trolling?  Because you employ troll tactics. You make assertions, then fail to back them up. You snip posts and address irrelevancies when you can't answer them honestly. 

Your arguments are getting old. "No Evidence"???    Many eyewitness testimonies is 'evidence' if you understand the word. It is not 'proof' but evidence. There can be strong evidence, weak evidence, eyewitness evidence, evidence for, evidence against, etc., but all evidence needs to be considered meaning neither blindly accepted nor blindly dismissed. This is how human intelligence judges things.

Edited by papageorge1

51 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

The first thing to learn about personal accounts is that they aren't reliable and aren't really evidence of anything. People are often mistaken about what they see, and sometimes they are outright hoaxing. Therefore, it isn't actually very smart to believe something when all you have are personal accounts. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZ8YqKnaHRAhUB6IMKHXGaAcIQFggaMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scientificamerican.com%2Farticle%2Fdo-the-eyes-have-it%2F&usg=AFQjCNHpAn_AVldZVmfpaFqPOas5-KzoxA

8 hours ago, The Butler said:

Your arguments are getting old. "No Evidence"???    Many eyewitness testimonies is 'evidence' if you understand the word. It is not 'proof' but evidence. There can be strong evidence, weak evidence, eyewitness evidence, evidence for, evidence against, etc., but all evidence needs to be considered meaning neither blindly accepted nor blindly dismissed. This is how human intelligence judges things.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

I see you didn't even read anything I posted. 

Here's a short bit for you...

Australian eyewitness expert Donald Thomson appeared on a live TV discussion about the unreliability of eyewitness memory. He was later arrested, placed in a lineup and identified by a victim as the man who had raped her. The police charged Thomson although the rape had occurred at the time he was on TV. They dismissed his alibi that he was in plain view of a TV audience and in the company of the other discussants, including an assistant commissioner of police. The policeman taking his statement sneered, "Yes, I suppose you've got Jesus Christ, and the Queen of England, too." Eventually, the investigators discovered that the rapist had attacked the woman as she was watching TV - the very program on which Thompson had appeared. Authorities eventually cleared Thomson. The woman had confused the rapist's face with the face that she had seen on TV. (Baddeley, 2004).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjOku3RqKHRAhWlzIMKHfRDCOMQFggtMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.visualexpert.com%2FResources%2Feyewitnessmemory.html&usg=AFQjCNFvKOj49uRxgPBU6uX0nExxmM9kjw

Now this doesn't even get into how our senses can lie to us and how we can be mistaken about what we're seeing. Or how our psyches can play with us. I believe that many of the people saw something. It's just far more likely that they saw a big owl. People don't realize how huge birds of prey are until they see one up close. And at night, already with subconscious fears from the other stories they had heard...it's entirely possible that a typical owl could become the dreaded "Mothman." 

• Like 2