Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery humming sound captured

UM-Bot

user posted image rA New Zealand scientist believes he's captured a recording of the mystery hum that has been heard by scores of people living and in and around the city of Auckland. Dr Tom Moir, a computer engineer at Massey University's Institute of Information and Mathematical Sciences, made the recording at a house in Auckland's North Shore suburb of Glenfield earlier this week.Dr Moir and his colleague Dr Fakhrul Alam have dubbed the sound an unidentified acoustic phenomena.Four people who previously reported hearing the low-level hum have confirmed that this is the sound they can hear in their homes."If this is indeed the hum, then it's acoustical and not electromagnetic," Dr Moir said.Dr Moir previously pinpointed the low-level drone at a frequency of 56Hz, which is very close to the 50Hz frequency produced by the 240 volt AC main electricity supply delivered to homes in New Zealand (and Australia).Although 56Hz is within the standard range of human hearing - which can range from 20 to 20,000Hz - it is too low for many people to pick up.One of Dr Moir's students, Ms Nair Tsuji, who is able to hear the sound, has acted as Dr Moir's "ears".

She also confirmed that the sound they heard in the Glenfield home was the same as the one she hears in her home in Whangaparaoa, about 30 minutes' drive north of Auckland.All the 30-plus cases reported to Dr Moir are occurring in Auckland's north.Dr Moir said the next step was to triangulate the sound in the hope of pinpointing the source.

IPB Image\ View: Full Article | Source: Sydney Morning Herald

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• rachelkleypassparrow

• ROGER

• ShaunZero

This proves that when people make similar claims, it's worth looking into. It's idiotic to brush things like this off in my opinion. If we did, we'd never have discovered ball lightning. Now about those ghosts.....(lol)

Edited by Zero of Deism

The problem with tracking down a sound wave is that they Bounce off objects real easy. As in the case of the Town in Texas that found the source of thier HUM only after an industrial fan was shut off , and the Sound went away. Until that time it drove people with sensitive hearing nuts!

• 3 weeks later...

I had my volume turned right down low while listening to the mp3 player. Although, I didn't hear anything initially as the volume was set to really low, I knew I was picking up on some low frequency sound as I was coming over with a strange headache. Once, I turned the volume up, I could hear it as clear as a bell.

It is the same sound you hear standing under pylons.