Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Hunter bashing

Moondoggy

With the emergence of some new television shows on paranormal investigations a lady by the name of Ms. Chan wrote an article I agree with in part. I am very interested in the paranormal as I imagine most people would be, however, I am appalled at the ridiculous shows that continue to use these "body cameras" that just show the individuals face who is wearing the stupid thing. Why in the world do they use these cameras? I agree with Ms. Chan that the current television shows are ridiculous by and large but I have to give Jason Hawes credit in that TAPS at least does not use this approach. They are the only ones I have seen that use thermal imaging and IR technology that has given us some decent images to ponder over.

Where in the world does one get educated to become a "paranormal expert"? I can only surmize that it can to some extent be had by some base scientific education but experience and trial and error has given us who we have today.

Putting together a successful paranormal investigative TV show is a difficult thing. My advise for TAPS would be to not force a weekly show at the expense of quality and do not yield the show to entertainment vultures. I do not want filler time to know how Brian is getting along in his personal life that is not why I watch the show. I like most other watch it to see what has been captured during the investigation. The show still is the best one out there that can at least be a measure of direction that other shows can follow, minus the mistakes imposed by the sci fi network.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Radian

• Moondoggy

• boorite

• Hans Dolbrook

I agree.

But with the way the media is controlled, we are lucky to see anything paranormal or Fortean.

No one is a paranormal expert because paranormal is not recognized by academia. Nither is cryptozoology......it doesn't however, mean they don't exsist. Hey we do the best we can. I think TAPS does a good job and tries to debunk or at least approach a scientific explaination. I wish the private sector would put up some more funds for more scientific studies. I think it's way beond time to take this into the lab, and classrooms.

Edited by wudewassa

The thing that gets me about these 'ghost hunting shows' is that they usually only do a >one< night investigation at a 'haunted location' ...But if you've ever heard testimony by real people that have witnessed the phenomena they usually only have 3 or 4 experiences ..and these are people that lived and/or worked in the location...So the idea of actually capturing a spirit/ghost with a one night study or even a week study , is a crap shoot to say the least...

I think that TAPS is the best ghost hunting show out there. They don't put together a bunch of bull sh** just to get people to watch I like the show, as it is very entertaining and good.

At least with the show, Ghost Hunters, they dont really sway strongly either way when first exploring a 'haunted' place. They do what they are supposed to, and with the evidence given, submit their findings. I like the fact that they dont bash the people who claim to have seen things in these places, even if they dont find anything.

Oh I definitely agree that TAPS does the best they can to provide real evidence, and to debunk what they can. I mean, they will have full episodes where they don't even have any personal experiences, or capture any evidence. I remember one where the problem was the idiot had a ton of chemicals sitting underneath a ventilation duct that was spreading the fumes through out his house. He was hallucinating and felt like crap. Well no wonder! You'r breathing in toxic chemicals all day long!

They don't make things up to keep an episode interesting. If nothing happens, nothing happens. That's what makes it so cool when they really catch something, like the chair moving in the lighthouse attic. I'd rather see pointless filler about how Brian "really hurt them" when he left, than fake noises and apparitions.

Now, "Most Haunted" on the other hand....

...is by far the most retarded and full of crap ghost hunting show I've ever seen. You can't even tell when something paranormal actually happens because they make up so much of it. They're not even good actors, either! And Derrick the "medium"? That jackass couldn't tell a ghost from a fart. Sometimes I watch it just to make fun of it, but most of the time it makes me so angry I can't stand it.

... And Derrick the "medium"? That jackass couldn't tell a ghost from a fart. Sometimes I watch it just to make fun of it, but most of the time it makes me so angry I can't stand it.

I, on the other hand, can tell a ghost from MY farts. One is often seen as a large, vaporous cloud that sends people running away, screaming. The other was once a live person. :P

With the lack of any paranormal programming on the air, the debatable success of “Ghost Hunters” gives the illusion that it is “the next great thing” in paranormal-reality shows. But nothing can be father from the truth. According to hundreds I've interacted with via Internet Chatrooms, fans of the paranormal are “up-in-arms” from the complete lack of professionalism

Ms. Chan's article bothers me for several reasons: it's so poorly-written and unprofessional that it's laughable, yet she complains constantly about an alleged lack of professionalism on "Ghost Hunters". Just read the bit I quoted above, and tell me you don't find it riddled with errors, fallacies, and even a good ol' "the lurkers support me on the Internet" argument. This is sad.

I wish she'd given some solid reasons as to why she finds "Ghost Hunters" unprofessional.

I'm very skeptical about all paranormal investigative television shows. Every show on TV is on their specific channel for one thing, ratings. If these Ghost Hunters did episode and episodes of shows and never "found" anything, they would get canceled. I most definently believe that some of their findings are 100% legit, however, i do think that in the interest of entertainment and to keep an audience, they will use trip wires and an "over-exhaustion" of emotion over certain things. It's very hard to tell, especially when it comes to paranormalities on tv, what is real or show... it comes down to taking the "investigators" word, knowing that they are getting paid good money for the show and no money if its cancelled... just a theory, any thoughts?

I'm very skeptical about all paranormal investigative television shows. Every show on TV is on their specific channel for one thing, ratings. If these Ghost Hunters did episode and episodes of shows and never "found" anything, they would get canceled. I most definently believe that some of their findings are 100% legit, however, i do think that in the interest of entertainment and to keep an audience, they will use trip wires and an "over-exhaustion" of emotion over certain things. It's very hard to tell, especially when it comes to paranormalities on tv, what is real or show... it comes down to taking the "investigators" word, knowing that they are getting paid good money for the show and no money if its cancelled... just a theory, any thoughts?

But that's the thing, I've seen many episodes where nothing or almost nothing paranormal happened. I agree that any show is just there for ratings, but I believe "Ghost Hunters" gathers so much viewership because it is legit, not because it pretends to be. I guess it really does come down to whether or not you believe TAPS is honest or not. I think they are.

But that's the thing, I've seen many episodes where nothing or almost nothing paranormal happened. I agree that any show is just there for ratings, but I believe "Ghost Hunters" gathers so much viewership because it is legit, not because it pretends to be. I guess it really does come down to whether or not you believe TAPS is honest or not. I think they are.

I believe some stuff, but I remain skeptical because of the television element. Not saying that I'm right, it's just how I feel. I honestly must say, that I do enjoy watching the shows, though I don't do it that often.

Where in the world does one get educated to become a "paranormal expert"? I can only surmize that it can to some extent be had by some base scientific education but experience and trial and error has given us who we have today.

Check my profile if your looking for a serious place to learn along the likes of taps...got a few experts in the field there

Edited by Anvil

I would also add to Anvil's suggestions, to beware of fake doctorates or anyone who calls themselves "expert". (Dr or Rev come to mind anyone?)

Check my profile if your looking for a serious place to learn along the likes of taps...got a few experts in the field there

I'll be checking that out!!

As far as ghost hunters go---that "Most Haunted!" uggh.... Gooood grief. That one dude who get's possessed by spirits (DEREK)... LMAO... I recorded once just so I could watch the possession of a bitter spirit take him over, him react to this, or "act" (which ever way you prefer) and rewind the scene, to watch over again...hilaaarious.

Then, they go to these "haunted" houses, intending on these same houses to be haunted, and when they (finally) hear a sound equilavent to a pin drop they FREEEEEAK OUT!!@! what is it with that? and half these sounds they say they "hear" ... what sounds?

and that one lady looks as if she's gonna drop with a heart attack-- allllll the time..... I'd let her go on the premisis she may be a hi- risk casualty, just in case they come up on a REAL HAUNTING--

Edited by Sunny98

I, on the other hand, can tell a ghost from MY farts. One is often seen as a large, vaporous cloud that sends people running away, screaming. The other was once a live person. :P

hehehe that is classic. Thanks for the chuckle on a semi lousy day. :)

Ghost Hunters is THE best show for actual paranormal investigation minus the bull shiz. Sure, you may not be able to be 100% scientific when studying ghosts because they're "spiritual", but that's why we do what we can. And that's exactly what TAPS does, and they do it very well.

Edited by Zero of Deism

I agree for the most part. I think Ghost Hunters is a good show I think "A Haunting" is also pretty good.

Shows like Most Haunted should be removed from TV.

I agree for the most part. I think Ghost Hunters is a good show I think "A Haunting" is also pretty good.

Shows like Most Haunted should be removed from TV.

Most of them do! In fact, most of them don't make it pass their first year of airing.

Just that everyone wants to make shows about ghost hunting

I'll be checking that out!!

As far as ghost hunters go---that "Most Haunted!" uggh.... Gooood grief. That one dude who get's possessed by spirits (DEREK)... LMAO... I recorded once just so I could watch the possession of a bitter spirit take him over, him react to this, or "act" (which ever way you prefer) and rewind the scene, to watch over again...hilaaarious.

Then, they go to these "haunted" houses, intending on these same houses to be haunted, and when they (finally) hear a sound equilavent to a pin drop they FREEEEEAK OUT!!@! what is it with that? and half these sounds they say they "hear" ... what sounds?

and that one lady looks as if she's gonna drop with a heart attack-- allllll the time..... I'd let her go on the premisis she may be a hi- risk casualty, just in case they come up on a REAL HAUNTING--

Yea this is pure comedy a pick me up for the most depressing days :lol:The Dereck Acorah Mary loves Dick clip

Edited by Anvil

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris.B @ Nov 18 2006, 06:54 PM) 1431465[/snapback]

Most of them do! In fact, most of them don't make it pass their first year of airing.

Just that everyone wants to make shows about ghost hunting

They just need to get a decent team for once, one who know what they are doing...

I like watching Ghost Hunters, because the two plumbers seem really genuine and that is hard to fake. The show at the lighthouse was very interesting. The only thing that bothers me about the show is the music in the background and the team talking. I just wish they would be quiet and I don't care whether someone is afraid of heights or spiders or flying, etc. The music is bothersome as well.

As for Most Haunted, I thought it was a sitcom.

I don't care whether someone is afraid of heights or spiders or flying, etc. The music is bothersome as well.

I actually like that part of the show as well. Allows you to get to know the investigators better, makes you feel more of a "Connection" to the show, lol.

The sad part is, most folks who want to see this stuff, will give them benefit of the doubt, but they ruin it by hiring these fruitloops!

Where are the ghost hunters who {DO NOT} act like DEREK & his casualty hi- risk lady assistant, forgodsakes, and one whose members can be objective, like TAPS- ?

Edited by Sunny98