Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The 23 Enigma

thenumber23

Hello, I am a professor of mathematics and I am here to tell you that there is nothing at all to this 23 business. Though the mysticism surrounding this theory dates back as far as 1013, in the writings of the Abbott of Durrow upon Essex, these ideals were firmly put down in the extensive exploration of mystical numbers in the voluminous works of Aldus Linnaeus Carolus III in 1593 after five years of exhaustive study. Published in seventeen chapters in five subsections in a single volume, the number 23 phenomenon was dealt with in at least three different places in two of the chapters. In chapter three, paragraph seven, he begins a long diatribe on the relative occurrence of twos, threes and fives and various combinations thereof in comparison to three other numbers, randomly chosen, and their relative combinations. Using the historical records kept by the Rector of Westminster Abbey of a period of one hundred years prior to the publishing date of the book he combined numbers found in significant dates using multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, as well as exponents and squares to determine whether or not there was a preponderance of occurrences of the 23 set over the control set. After finding no special occurrences he repeated the experiment with four more sets, checking his computations two times.

The conclusion was that there was no significance to the number 23 at all. Aldus found it interesting that the more intriguing irrational numbers that were found to be constants in geometry and nature, such pi and phi (consider many later constants used in physics) were largely overlooked in the various mystical numbers revered.

Aldus held the position of Master of Mathematics at Trinity College for 46 years. His findings were controversial and ultimately divided the department in half.

Further studies into the occult of numerology also proved fruitless from any mathematical or scientific standpoint. However, the occult in general became quite fashionable amongst the aristocracy of Europe in the 19th century. Though many books were written on the subject in the last four decades of the nineteenth century, about two thirds of the books reviewed contained no scientific data whatsoever. Of the books that tried to provide scientific backing for claims of extra-ordinary numbers, none came close to making a compelling argument that any set of numbers had any greater importance in physics, math, or history than any other, as compared to a control set of randomly chosen numbers (Jenson 1904). Growth patterns in nature did show a generalized relationship to phi, one half plus the square root of 5 divided by 2 (or 1.618), however it was not locally true, in that any precise measurement of an organic material would give you an incorrect answer for phi-- it was seen as an ideal state of growth, first by the Greeks.

A fundamental tenet of discordianism holds true however: if you look for it, you will find it. However, according to studies referenced, one could say the same about any set of numbers chosen. The other conclusion arrived at through this study is the fact that if you can think of it, it can become a religion.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I am a professor of mathematics and I am here to tell you that there is nothing at all to this 23 business. Though the mysticism surrounding this theory dates back as far as 1013, in the writings of the Abbott of Durrow upon Essex, these ideals were firmly put down in the extensive exploration of mystical numbers in the voluminous works of Aldus Linnaeus Carolus III in 1593 after five years of exhaustive study. Published in seventeen chapters in five subsections in a single volume, the number 23 phenomenon was dealt with in at least three different places in two of the chapters. In chapter three, paragraph seven, he begins a long diatribe on the relative occurrence of twos, threes and fives and various combinations thereof in comparison to three other numbers, randomly chosen, and their relative combinations. Using the historical records kept by the Rector of Westminster Abbey of a period of one hundred years prior to the publishing date of the book he combined numbers found in significant dates using multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, as well as exponents and squares to determine whether or not there was a preponderance of occurrences of the 23 set over the control set. After finding no special occurrences he repeated the experiment with four more sets, checking his computations two times.

The conclusion was that there was no significance to the number 23 at all. Aldus found it interesting that the more intriguing irrational numbers that were found to be constants in geometry and nature, such pi and phi (consider many later constants used in physics) were largely overlooked in the various mystical numbers revered.

Aldus held the position of Master of Mathematics at Trinity College for 46 years. His findings were controversial and ultimately divided the department in half.

Further studies into the occult of numerology also proved fruitless from any mathematical or scientific standpoint. However, the occult in general became quite fashionable amongst the aristocracy of Europe in the 19th century. Though many books were written on the subject in the last four decades of the nineteenth century, about two thirds of the books reviewed contained no scientific data whatsoever. Of the books that tried to provide scientific backing for claims of extra-ordinary numbers, none came close to making a compelling argument that any set of numbers had any greater importance in physics, math, or history than any other, as compared to a control set of randomly chosen numbers (Jenson 1904). Growth patterns in nature did show a generalized relationship to phi, one half plus the square root of 5 divided by 2 (or 1.618), however it was not locally true, in that any precise measurement of an organic material would give you an incorrect answer for phi-- it was seen as an ideal state of growth, first by the Greeks.

A fundamental tenet of discordianism holds true however: if you look for it, you will find it. However, according to studies referenced, one could say the same about any set of numbers chosen. The other conclusion arrived at through this study is the fact that if you can think of it, it can become a religion.

YEAH! WHAAT HE SAID... It made my brain explode but it has to be right!

• 3 months later...

Hmmm....

Third paragraph: "Aldus held the position of Master of Mathematics at Trinity College for 46 years. His findings were controversial and ultimately divided the department in half. "

Take "46 years" and "divided...in half"

Half of 46 is 23.

Don't look like such a big shot now, do ya?

You're only seeing it because you're obsessing over it. I have a friend who obsessed over the number 69, and now he sees it everywhere. It's mildly entertaining to watch him flip out.

Numerically my enigma happens to be 11. But then again, the first four numbers of the Fibanachi Sequence are: 1,1,2,3. Ahhh. I agree to some extent that something appears the more you try to find it, but sometimes it is just interesting when it is there when you aren't looking. By saying I have 11 letters in my name is because I found a way to make 11 by omitting my middle name unless my number was 17 then I would have included it. Although looking down and finding 11 cents on the ground might be more sinister than we believe. Anyways, it is a preoccupation as a result of the mind control from the robots to make us more docile for when they take over. Oh no, they have found me out. I must escape before

If people subconsciously want to find the number 23 in everything, they will. Like the whole 11:11 theory.

Am I going insane? :w00t:

The "23 Enigma" refers to the belief that all incidents and events are directly connected to the number 23. The number 23. Think am crazy? Think again. Heres some examples, skim through them, or read them all if intrigued. What I want you to read really is below all this sh!t.

***2/3= .666 the number of the beast

The New York Yankees won the World Series 23 times

The Uranium isotope used in Nuclear bombs is U235

AOL chat rooms only allow 23 people at a time

In the film Airport, the mad bomber has seat 23

***There are exactly 23 charicters, numbers and letters, on the face of all U.S. coins

***Every 23rd wave crashing on a beach averages twice the size as normal

In the film Airplane II, the name of the spaceship is XR-2300

230 people died in the conspiracy plagued TWA flight 800 disaster

The Unibomber killed or wounded 23 people

The address of the Freemasons lodge in Stafford, England, is 23 Jaol Road. In New York City it's on 23rd street.

***The letter W is the 23rd in the alphabet and has 2 points down and 3 points up

The first Apollo landing on the moon was at 23.63 degrees east; the second was 23.42 degrees west.

April 19th the date of the battle of Lexington, the holocaust at Waco, and the Oclahoma city bombing is written 4/19 by Americans and 19/4 by Europeans. Either way it adds up to 23.

In Star Wars Princess Lea was held in cell AA-23

***Shakespeare was 46(2*23) when the King James Bible was published. Psalm 46(2*23) has it's 46th word "shake" and the 46th word back from the end is "spear".

On the Seinfeld show, Kramer hides an Air-Conditioner on levl purple 23 of a parking garrage.

***William Shakespeare was born on April 23,1556 and died on April 23, 1616.

51, as in Area 51 breaks down to 23 + 23 + (2*3)=51

August 23,1305 William Wallace was exicuted for treason.

August 23, 1970 River Pheonix was born.

The original Star Trek, as well as Babylon Five are set in the 23rd century

***The human Biorhythm cycle is 23 days

***It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate through the human body

***Julius Ceasar was stabbed 23 times by the assasans.

X-Files: 10.13 productions.10 + 13 = 23

"Scottish Rite Freemasonry" has 23 letters.

A technological singularity has been predicted by "experts" in the near future. It is expected around 2030 AD.

***Geosynchronous orbit occurs at 23,000 miles above Earth's surface.

Psychic Edgar Cayce started having visions of lost Atlantis in 1923.

Hitler joined a secret society in 1923.

Avagadro's number as used in the ideal gas law is 6.02 * 10^23

The CIA headquarters in McLean, VA is located on rt. 123.

***The tilt of Earth's axis is roughly 23o accounting for the changing seasons and the procession of the Zodiac.

***Homo sapiens are given 46 chromosomes from their parents, 23 male and 23 female.

***The Dog Days of Summer begin on July 23 when Sirius the Dogstar rises from behind the sun.

Sydney Carton was the 23rd man beheaded in the climax of Dickens' Tale of Two Cities

Accordidng to Noam Chomsky over half of the national media is owned by 23 companies

The average smoker inhales 23 ciggarettes a day

There are 23 chapters of the Cult Awareness Network

Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints was born on December 23, 1805.

On December 23, 1805 the Federal Reserve Act passed in congress.

***According to ancient Mayan prophesy on December 23, 2012 the world will end.

***In both ancient Sumaria and Egypt July 23 is the start of the new year.

The Nissan car takes its name from "Ni" which means 2 in Japaneese and "san" which means 3. Nissan means 23.

The articles of Impeechment used against Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton are under Article 2, section 3 of the constitution.

The United States set off 23 atomic bombs at Bikini Atoll in the Pacific.

Lines 22-23 of Book I of Milton's Paradice Lost "What in me is dark/ Illumine, what is low raise and support."

In a recent film version of Alice in Wonderland a stuffed Rabbit comes alive and runs away from a case numbered 23.

***The first prime number in which both digits are prime and add up to make annother prime is 23.

It is believed that Adam and Eve had 23 daughters. [citation needed]

It is believed that the verses of the Qur'an were revealed over a period of 23 years. There exist hadith that support this figure, but many more that give other lengths of time.

Psalms, the longest book of the Bible, is the 23rd book of the Old Testament, and the famous "Divine Shepherd" psalm is Psalm 23. Those repeating this popular claim overlook that it is only true in a handful of very specific modern Catholic translations. The famous psalm is actually number 22 in the Septuagint and traditional Catholic Bibles, while the books of the Old Testament appear in several different orders; Psalms is number 23 only in modern Catholic Bibles, being book 21 in the traditional Vulgate, book 26 in the Greek Orthodox Bible, book 19 in most Protestant Bibles, and book 14 in the Jewish Tanakh. It is therefore completely false for the Vulgate (chapter 22 of book 21), and only partly true for the King James Version (chapter 23 of book 19).

December 23, 2012 is the date on which the Mayan calendar ends, predicting an apocalyptic event.

Both the ancient Egyptian and Sumerian calendars begin on 23 July. Both calendars were apparently calculated from the date of the heliacal rising of Sirius, which occurs at that latitude around that time of year.

The list goes on and on.

They say that once you reasearch heavily into the 23 mystery, they say that the number starts appearing in your life everywhere. You become obessed, paranoid, it comes after you. It...haunts you. I am living proof. Heres my diary of how the number 23, is coming after me. It can mean many things, patterns, messages, clues to future events, many things. In theory anyway. Heres my diary:

11/19/06

This was the day I watched the trailer for the upcoming film "The Number 23". Intrigued, I went to the website, and researched it. I believe that it is not coincidence...its something...else. It must mean something...but what? And what does it mean to me? On the "Saw 3" website, on the messageboards, I`ve been making this saw story called "Saw 4 Rebirth RPG". On page 20 of it, I made a password for the plot. In it is the number 23.

11/20/06

I own the Saw 2 Uncut DVD. On the special features there is game you can play. Once you get through it you get to a safe, the number to the safe is 7293. You know what number is in it.

11/21/06

A white kid in my 2nd hr said his birthday was on the 23rd of some month, don`t remember month. Werid. Then in 4th hour my US History teacher said shes been working at my school for 23 years! Werid. Whys it keep from appearing?! This number... Then, near the end of 4th hr, coming from the bathroom, I passed a combination lock that had the numbers 23 fixed into it. Plus, 11/23/06 is coming up! Thanksgiving! Am sooooo ****ing creeped out! Then after school, standing at the light by mcdonalds, when I was just about to talk more about the 23 thing with my cousin, i looked over at the sign for armstrong, and the number 23 was on it! What does...it mean? Can i somehow firgure what 23 means? But how?! I`ve come to realize that you don`t look for the 23...it comes for you unexpectedly.

stay tuned....by the way, what u think? Any believers of this, cause if so, me and you need to talk!

your not going to kill some girl and then forget....are you?

Am I going insane? :w00t:

The "23 Enigma" refers to the belief that all incidents and events are directly connected to the number 23. The number 23. Think am crazy? Think again. Heres some examples, skim through them, or read them all if intrigued. What I want you to read really is below all this sh!t.

***2/3= .666 the number of the beast

The New York Yankees won the World Series 23 times

The Uranium isotope used in Nuclear bombs is U235

AOL chat rooms only allow 23 people at a time

In the film Airport, the mad bomber has seat 23

***There are exactly 23 charicters, numbers and letters, on the face of all U.S. coins

***Every 23rd wave crashing on a beach averages twice the size as normal

In the film Airplane II, the name of the spaceship is XR-2300

230 people died in the conspiracy plagued TWA flight 800 disaster

The Unibomber killed or wounded 23 people

The address of the Freemasons lodge in Stafford, England, is 23 Jaol Road. In New York City it's on 23rd street.

***The letter W is the 23rd in the alphabet and has 2 points down and 3 points up

The first Apollo landing on the moon was at 23.63 degrees east; the second was 23.42 degrees west.

April 19th the date of the battle of Lexington, the holocaust at Waco, and the Oclahoma city bombing is written 4/19 by Americans and 19/4 by Europeans. Either way it adds up to 23.

In Star Wars Princess Lea was held in cell AA-23

***Shakespeare was 46(2*23) when the King James Bible was published. Psalm 46(2*23) has it's 46th word "shake" and the 46th word back from the end is "spear".

On the Seinfeld show, Kramer hides an Air-Conditioner on levl purple 23 of a parking garrage.

***William Shakespeare was born on April 23,1556 and died on April 23, 1616.

51, as in Area 51 breaks down to 23 + 23 + (2*3)=51

August 23,1305 William Wallace was exicuted for treason.

August 23, 1970 River Pheonix was born.

The original Star Trek, as well as Babylon Five are set in the 23rd century

***The human Biorhythm cycle is 23 days

***It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate through the human body

***Julius Ceasar was stabbed 23 times by the assasans.

X-Files: 10.13 productions.10 + 13 = 23

"Scottish Rite Freemasonry" has 23 letters.

A technological singularity has been predicted by "experts" in the near future. It is expected around 2030 AD.

***Geosynchronous orbit occurs at 23,000 miles above Earth's surface.

Psychic Edgar Cayce started having visions of lost Atlantis in 1923.

Hitler joined a secret society in 1923.

Avagadro's number as used in the ideal gas law is 6.02 * 10^23

The CIA headquarters in McLean, VA is located on rt. 123.

***The tilt of Earth's axis is roughly 23o accounting for the changing seasons and the procession of the Zodiac.

***Homo sapiens are given 46 chromosomes from their parents, 23 male and 23 female.

***The Dog Days of Summer begin on July 23 when Sirius the Dogstar rises from behind the sun.

Sydney Carton was the 23rd man beheaded in the climax of Dickens' Tale of Two Cities

Accordidng to Noam Chomsky over half of the national media is owned by 23 companies

The average smoker inhales 23 ciggarettes a day

There are 23 chapters of the Cult Awareness Network

Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints was born on December 23, 1805.

On December 23, 1805 the Federal Reserve Act passed in congress.

***According to ancient Mayan prophesy on December 23, 2012 the world will end.

***In both ancient Sumaria and Egypt July 23 is the start of the new year.

The Nissan car takes its name from "Ni" which means 2 in Japaneese and "san" which means 3. Nissan means 23.

The articles of Impeechment used against Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton are under Article 2, section 3 of the constitution.

The United States set off 23 atomic bombs at Bikini Atoll in the Pacific.

Lines 22-23 of Book I of Milton's Paradice Lost "What in me is dark/ Illumine, what is low raise and support."

In a recent film version of Alice in Wonderland a stuffed Rabbit comes alive and runs away from a case numbered 23.

***The first prime number in which both digits are prime and add up to make annother prime is 23.

It is believed that Adam and Eve had 23 daughters. [citation needed]

It is believed that the verses of the Qur'an were revealed over a period of 23 years. There exist hadith that support this figure, but many more that give other lengths of time.

Psalms, the longest book of the Bible, is the 23rd book of the Old Testament, and the famous "Divine Shepherd" psalm is Psalm 23. Those repeating this popular claim overlook that it is only true in a handful of very specific modern Catholic translations. The famous psalm is actually number 22 in the Septuagint and traditional Catholic Bibles, while the books of the Old Testament appear in several different orders; Psalms is number 23 only in modern Catholic Bibles, being book 21 in the traditional Vulgate, book 26 in the Greek Orthodox Bible, book 19 in most Protestant Bibles, and book 14 in the Jewish Tanakh. It is therefore completely false for the Vulgate (chapter 22 of book 21), and only partly true for the King James Version (chapter 23 of book 19).

December 23, 2012 is the date on which the Mayan calendar ends, predicting an apocalyptic event.

Both the ancient Egyptian and Sumerian calendars begin on 23 July. Both calendars were apparently calculated from the date of the heliacal rising of Sirius, which occurs at that latitude around that time of year.

The list goes on and on.

They say that once you reasearch heavily into the 23 mystery, they say that the number starts appearing in your life everywhere. You become obessed, paranoid, it comes after you. It...haunts you. I am living proof. Heres my diary of how the number 23, is coming after me. It can mean many things, patterns, messages, clues to future events, many things. In theory anyway. Heres my diary:

11/19/06

This was the day I watched the trailer for the upcoming film "The Number 23". Intrigued, I went to the website, and researched it. I believe that it is not coincidence...its something...else. It must mean something...but what? And what does it mean to me? On the "Saw 3" website, on the messageboards, I`ve been making this saw story called "Saw 4 Rebirth RPG". On page 20 of it, I made a password for the plot. In it is the number 23.

11/20/06

I own the Saw 2 Uncut DVD. On the special features there is game you can play. Once you get through it you get to a safe, the number to the safe is 7293. You know what number is in it.

11/21/06

A white kid in my 2nd hr said his birthday was on the 23rd of some month, don`t remember month. Werid. Then in 4th hour my US History teacher said shes been working at my school for 23 years! Werid. Whys it keep from appearing?! This number... Then, near the end of 4th hr, coming from the bathroom, I passed a combination lock that had the numbers 23 fixed into it. Plus, 11/23/06 is coming up! Thanksgiving! Am sooooo ****ing creeped out! Then after school, standing at the light by mcdonalds, when I was just about to talk more about the 23 thing with my cousin, i looked over at the sign for armstrong, and the number 23 was on it! What does...it mean? Can i somehow firgure what 23 means? But how?! I`ve come to realize that you don`t look for the 23...it comes for you unexpectedly.

stay tuned....by the way, what u think? Any believers of this, cause if so, me and you need to talk!

I just watched the Jim Carrey movie "The Number 23" last night. Pretty interesting but I believe everything is only a coincidence. If everything is directly connected to the number "23" then I might believe it. The problem is you have still have to do permutations which is actually up to one's interpretation. Besides, there has been some error in the examples you presented.

I MUST POST THIS!!!!!

check this out:

I am a wiccan, and the second person to post, so far, that i am p***ed about the fact that ppl keep messing up the Witch's Sabbat date. Thank you person for clearing it up before I could. for others, I think you would enjoy something else...

the person to first post the correction about the incorrect Witch's Sabbat date, this is their post info(you can check if you don't believe me, "posts" might have changed by then, but i copied ctrl+C when i fist saw it then immeadiately posted this reply):

Post #46 (I'm second to get p***ed, this person saw it 2 times! 46th post divided by 2 = 23, also the same number of posts at the time of this post...creepy...)

Alien Embryo (A=1 L=12 I=9 E=5 N=14 E=5 M=13 B=2 R=18 Y=25 O=15, strike all 2's and 3's, and add up these numbers using a hex calculator. u get 5C, switch to Decimal, it is 92. well, the altered[yes, altered] name is 92, minus the post number from this thread and minus again the number of posts... 23...(or still using the hex calc, add those without striking out the 2's and 3's and u get A1, divided by the number of letters in the name - 11[hex is B] so A1/B = E, A.E., or Alien Embryo - I thought that was cool...)

Group: Member (13+5+13+2+5+18=46...you should Know what can happen with this by now...)

Member No.: 52405 (read it backwards...50-4-2-5=39, now add them, 5+2+4+0+5=16, 39-16=Twenty ****ing Three!!!)

"Okay, this is the second time I've read that the Witches' Sabbath is June 23. NOOOOO! ONE of the EIGHT Witches' Sabbaths is in June, the Summer Solstice, which is the first day of Summer. This year it was June 21! It changes from year to year. It has nothing to do with the number 23."

Yeah, I know this too, but your post sure has alot to do with this subject!! I'm just being a A**H***, and The Number 23 Enigma is just that, an Enigma!

enigma

A noun

1 mystery, secret, closed book

something that baffles understanding and cannot be explained; "how it got out is a mystery"; "it remains one of nature's secrets"

Basically, you would have to work with those numbers to get what you are looking for. while I was doing it, I found connections on every line that has a relation to the number 11...another person posted something about that...But it has no supernatural Meaning, only a phenomena that occurs upon human mathematical intervention. However, I will leave you hanging with these last two paragraphs:

My screen name, Chrono Matsumari, I use just about everywhere (internet, coven, text signature, etc.). to my knowledge I am the only one who uses it, the name was created by me too many years ago, it has not been changed...Chrono Matsumari, 2 words, 15 letters.

3+8+18+15+14+15+13+1+20+19+21+13+1+18+9=188; spaced out: 3+8+1+8+1+5+1+4+1+5+1+3+1+2+0+1+9+2+1+1+3+1+1+8+9=80; 188, 1+8+8=17; 8+0=8, 17+8=25, 25-2(two words)=23... My Legal first name is Bobby. B+O+B+B+Y --- 2+15+2+2+25=46, 46 divided by... I know what you are thinking, "he's gonna use the number 2 for his first and last name" or "he's gonna say 2 because he uses two different names" or whatever... but its much more meaningful to me than that. It could be because I'm a Jr. which makes me the second Bob in the family, I'm the second member to join the military at 18 years old in my family(others went at 21-26), I'm the second in my family to come out of a war unscathed and without injury(I've been discharged for narcolepsy, so I won't be going be back for sure), which also means I'm also the second in my family to not recieve a purple heart, Im the Second in my family to be diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, and I'm the second in my family that went to Job Corps for Culinay Arts... I am going to divide 46 by 2 because of all of this, and because I am the second born son in my generation, of 4. Born July 18, 1988...would you like me to use that too? 7+18=25, second born, 2 weeks after the 4th of July, and wouldn't you know it, the second one in my family to receive my name and become a Jr.. My dad was also second born.

My favorite number is two. the number 23 can't drive me nearly as nuts as the number 2 could. My best friend is the second born in his family too. He was born in february, second month, 1988. His dad was in the Navy for 26 years, My dad for 30 years. my mother went to school with his dad, mom, and aunt. what really brings us close, however, is the fact that we were both born in Norfolk, VA, The same Navy Hostpital, the same Colonel Martin R. Shanks delivered us 6 months apart, therefore, same floor (ER/ICU), and same shift (late night-early morning). We never met each other until we were 14 years old, in the ninth grade. We discovered this when we left for Job Corps. We compared our birth certificates, later we asked our parents who delivered each of us, and what times. turns out we should have started hanging out 14 years earlier. But in spite of everything I posted, I am now tired, having stayed up for only 16 hours, being 730AM now. good morning! (I can't say goodnight, because the sun is up, you numbskull!) peace, ciao, hooah, Oorah, mahalo, and Blessed be. and goodnight to the Russians!

• Like 1

- Charles Manson was born November 12th (11 + 12 = 23

the year he gets a chance for parole....2012...20+1+2=23.

lmao.

• 2 weeks later...

This is real!

My name is Max.

M = 13

A = 1

X = 24

24-1=23

13+10(The number of letters in my last name)=23

I was born on December 11.

12+11=23

My best friend is Ben.

B = 2

E = 5

N = 14

2^2+5+14 = 23

He was born on January 23, 1993

1 + 1 + 9 + 9 + 3 = 23

And that's just a small amout of what I've seen.

• 3 weeks later...

*sigh* I was searching up this 23 enigma today to explain the whole thing and some events that link to the number 23 and I came across this thread. After reading most of it I had to dig this old thread up just to point out Max is a moron.

Best friends name is ben, and if you add an extra 2 into the equation it equals 23? Now thats just being desperate for seeing 23. Your like religious nuts, make something out of nothing and bend it and twist it till it fits what your looking for.

The 23 enigma is about as pointless as 47. It can infact be manipulated to work with any number, no matter how rediculous and people like you would probably start a cult about it. I should make a movie about the number 89 and you guys would eat it up. The number 23 appears in alot of things because we use numbers everyday, and if it wasnt the number 23 it'd be 14 or even 10 or any number for that matter, I cant go a day without seeing the number 15 does that mean that theres something mysterious behind it? no, it just means your a naive moron who's life is so boring you need to buy into crap like this.

Also your name, 24-1=23

lol well there is 10 letters in "your a moron" add 13, and that equals 23! OMG, there is something magical behind your stupidity, i knew it wasnt natural.

Go watch a disney movie, you might find better spiritual guidance in one of them then looking at your mothers 23 dirty panties you like sniffing before you go to bed.

I can relate the number 4 to anything if i want to bad enough, its everywhere.

i live at 4 in my street, my keyboard has 2 4's on it, theres 4 written on a timesheet on my wall, the calander has 4 on it, my fax has 4 on it, my phone has 4 on it, theres 4 phone books in the office, 4 draws in the filing cabinet, 4 spindles of cd's, 4 photos of family, the lisence plate on the car in the photo on my calender is LFX 4, I can do it with 3 aswell if you like? or how about 7.

Edited by patheticordinary

There's many meaning to the term "Nissan" in Japanese!

Nisan,Ni-san: Older brother

Ni-san: Term of endearment (like you said)

Nissan: The car brend...

Ni: Means 2.

San: Means 3.

As for "Which secret society Hitler join" I have no idea...One of my friends tell me! I'll make some research and I'll get back to you! :)

Oh first off the numbers 1-10 are

eee

er -2

san -3

se

ou

leo

chi

ba

jio

sher

So the car would have to be the "Ersan"

• 5 months later...

Yeah. Your favorite, or number of choice, was 23 before you knew about the movie (found out there was a movie about 23 back in the day and both main actors -jim carrey for the newer one -Their favorite number is 23. The movie comes out and you're like what? They made a movie about MY number? Wow I must be special. Is god trying to send me a message. Or the Devil? ...666. Well if thats the case...I'm pretty good. This is my case on this number but its much more extreme. I was even like..possessed one night when someone mentioned the number 23 -matching it up with the date of 9/11- A friend restrained me. grabbed the bible and opened it to a specific chapter talking about the number 23 and how its all in my mind...i did calm down then..lae,t;rwktykktwkrkwkrwrI was going through a very psychotic stage of time about 4 months maybe. i was predicting **** off the bat. No coincidence. My major influence of this time was watching "The Secret" with a very good friend we both grasped the reality of it and used it to our advantage. The powers we produced were phenomenal. I used thought experiments to find out that 13 had to do with something and 7 and 9. All these numbers were displayed in front of me in such an according manner that I had no problem realizing their importance. Hey theres much more I want to talk about but its 4 in the morning.. Not normal lately so ima go for now.

Ps. I like to slang when i type its easy im 19 still a teenager. but i dont think im hard to understand. I have good linguistics when i need em

• 4 months later...

I find this whole 23 thing a joke. Seriously, if 23 was the ultimate answer to life, why would it be hiding in complicated math equations that honestly don't make much sense? wouldn't it be out in the open?

Now the number 42...that's a different story...

-42 is a perfect score on the USA Math Olymipad, as well as the Internation Math Olympiad

-The eight digits of pi beginning from 242,422 places after the decimal point are 42424242

-It's the angle in degrees for which a rainbow appears

-In 1965, mathematician Paul Cooper theorized that the fastest, most efficient way to travel across continents would be to bore a straight hollow tube directly through the Earth, connecting a set of antipodes, evacuate it (remove the air), and then just fall through. The first half of the journey consists of free-fall acceleration, while the second half consists of an exactly equal deceleration. The time for such a journey works out to be 42 minutes. Remarkably, even if the tube does not pass through the exact center of the Earth, the time for a journey powered entirely by gravity always works out to be 42 minutes, as long as the tube remains friction-free, as while gravity's force would be lessened, so would the distance traveled at an equal rate.[5][6] The same idea was proposed by Lewis Carroll in Sylvie and Bruno, volume 2, chapter 7, without calculation.

-The New General Catalogue object NGC 42, a spiral galaxy in the constellation Pegasus

42 also appears several times in religion. In Christianity...

-There are 42 generations (names) in the Gospel of Matthew's version of the Genealogy of Jesus

-it is prophesied that for 42 months the Beast will hold dominion over the Earth (Revelation 13:5)

-42 men of Beth-azmaveth were counted in the census of men of Israel upon return from exile (Ezra 2:24

-God sent bears to maul 42 of the youths who mock Elisha for his baldness (2 Kings 2:23)

It is also in other religions...

-There are 42 principles of Ma'at, the Ancient Egyptian personification of physical and moral law, order, and truth

-In the judgement scene described in the Egyptian and the Book of the Coming/Going Forth by Day (the Book of the Dead (which evolved from the Coffin Texts and the Pyramid Texts)), there are 42 Gods and Goddesses of Egypt, personifying the principles of Ma'at, who ask questions of the departed, while Thoth records the answers, and the deceased's heart is weighed against the feather of Truth (Ma'at)

-These 42 correspond to the 42 Nomes (Governmental Units) of Egypt. If the departed successfully answers all 42, s/he becomes an Osiris.

-In Judaism, the number (in the Babylonian Talmud, compiled 375 AD to 499 AD) of the "Forty-Two Lettered Name" ascribed to God

-a 3rd century source in the Talmud stated "The Forty-Two Lettered Name is entrusted only to him who is pious, meek, middle-aged, free from bad temper, sober, and not insistent on his rights"

-42 is the number with which God creates the Universe in Kabalistic tradition

In literature...

- Shakespeare's plays and Carroll's Alice have 42 illustrations

-In Chapter XII (of Alice in Wonderland), the king explains "the oldest rule in the book": "Rule Forty-two. All persons more than a mile high [are] to leave the court"

-The first book to be printed with movable type, the Gutenberg Bible, is also known as the '42-line Bible', after the number of lines of print on each page

-In The Property of a Lady from Octopussy (the earlier editions of the three-part short story book included this story), James Bond (a character created by Ian Fleming) attended an auction to identify a top KGB spy. This spy was to raise the value of a Fabergé egg so that his female double agent working in MI5 (The British Secret Service) would get more money (as a way to monetarily pay her back for many years of service) from the sale of her (previously sent from Russia) Fabergé egg. The lot number of the Fabergé egg was 42

-In Rudyard Kipling's "The Travels of Captain Ryalls", 42 is the age at which Michael Ryalls first enters the jungle from his comfortable home in London. He travels with a 42 inch tall bull named Regis

-In Douglas Adam's book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it is revealed that the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42

In television/Other Media

-42 is one of The Numbers - 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 - featured in Lost

-42 is an episode of Doctor Who, set in real time lasting approximately 42 minutes

-In the television series and movie The X-Files, lead character Fox Mulder lives in apartment number 42

-In the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation the starship USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) has 42 decks

-42 is the name of Buzz Lightyear's space ship from Pixar's animated science fiction series Buzz Lightyear of Star Command

-In an episode of "House M.D" Dr. House claims that his favorite number is 42

-In A Clockwork Orange Alex browses through records in a record store and we see a record of the, at this time fictional, band Level 42

-In the PC game, Spore, reaching the center of the galaxy yields a powerful item known as the "Staff of Life" which has a limited 42 uses. It also grants the player an achievement titled "42"

-In the 2008 game Fable II, the last in a series of ancient artifacts the player can find says "Now just think of the number 42."

-101010 (42 in Binary) is an open-source Java game

-42 is a common magic number used by computer programmers

In miscelaneous other...

-In Japanese, 4 (shi) and 2 (ni) are together pronounced like "going to death" (死に). In Cantonese, 42 sounds like "easy death"

-In New York City, 42nd Street is a main and very popular two-way thoroughfare. Landmarks on it include the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, the main branch of the New York Public Library, and Times Square. The New York City street is also the setting for a movie by the same name (which also gave fame to its eponymous title song), and which later inspired a musical adaptation, 42nd Street

-The UK government's controversial proposal to extend the time a suspect could be held without charge to 42 days was passed in the House of Commons with a majority of 9

-10! (10 factorial) seconds is exactly 42 days

-When you type in 'the answer to life, the universe, and everything' on google, google calculator will tell you the answer is 42

now I ripped this all off wikipedia (except the google bit), so I have no way to verify it (unless I was seriously dedicated, which I'm not), but It does prove a point. I just showed you how life can equal 42 WITHOUT using stupid equations or things like 4+2 or 24 times 2 is 42 and what not.

the mind believes what it chooses to believe.

~ThInGs|GeT|sTrAnGeR~

Huh. And all this time i thought the number, 7 3/4 was the key to the secret of creation. And to find out all this time it was 23.

Huh. And all this time i thought the number, 7 3/4 was the key to the secret of creation. And to find out all this time it was 23.

No, its 42!

Now pardon me while I get out silver bullets, wooden steaks, and a flame thrower to kill off these acient threads that keep rising from the dead.

omg! My first name has 5 letters, my two last names combined have 12, that's 17.

Almighty has 8 letters, that's 25. I was born in 89, that's TWO numbers, 8-9.

Substract 2 from 25, what do you get? 23. TWENTY THREE ladies and gentlemen.

This seems like one of those list that lists certain "facts" but are actually false, and people don't actually verify to see if it is or not.

Edited by Almighty89

omg! My first name has 5 letters, my two last names combined have 12, that's 17.

Almighty has 8 letters, that's 25. I was born in 89, that's TWO numbers, 8-9.

Substract 2 from 25, what do you get? 23. TWENTY THREE ladies and gentlemen.

This seems like one of those list that lists certain "facts" but are actually false, and people don't actually verify to see if it is or not.

Ive worked this 23 thing with my name, and it does work out, untill you remember that my maiden name has an extra E on the end of it because of a typo on my dads birth cirt that we didnt have fixed. Then I get 22 if I subtract 1 for that unwelcome E.....I still say the meaning of like is 42, ,we just havent asked the right question to get that answer yet.

What about #11 then?

• 7 months later...

this whole 23 11 thing has fascinated me completely. but must be said, being born on 23 / 11 / 83 makes me less aware of it following me (as it kind of always has anyway).

a lot of people seem to take it too far, and see it where it is not. if you checked wikipedia, you will find a list of occurrences on 23rd of each month, outweighing the others. only by a slight amount, but it seems to be a busy day, rather than the rest. Also, it depends upon GMT NOT local time, so be aware of what this can entail. I was born 20 days, and 3 hours after kennedy was shot... i still do not know what to make of that...

but yeah, there are a lot of dates which have significance to 23, and many times you will see it around.

look for the pattern, follow it, and put it on the back burners. don't let it eat you up, or the ring will get you.!