Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Site Updates Nov. 22nd

Saru

A small update was implemented today to the main site, mainly aimed at fixing up a few loose ends following the previous update, and fixing some bugs that hadn't been resolved from the OS reload a few weeks ago:

• Removed broken/unused side menu blocks
  • Reorganised menu blocks on most sections
  • Added a 'Bizarre News' menu block
  • Re-added the 'Voting Booth' site poll menu block
  • Fixed Video index listings
A number of much larger updates are planned for the not too distant future, these will centre primarily around the forum and gallery sections. Most notably we will be upgrading to the latest version of Invision Board (2.2) once it has been released, and there are plans to migrate our current Coppermine gallery system to Invision Gallery in order to completely integrate the gallery and the forum together. The site newsletter will also be making a comeback.

More details about these changes will be posted up nearer the time.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Death Star III

• Trinitrotoluene

Thanks, as always, for the work you put in.

One small suggestion, when the major upgrade comes would it be possible to add a "top of page" button to aid navigation through the larger threads and forums?

Thanks,

Waspie.

Thanks SaRuMaN , you are the boss, even though you dont sign the paychecks.lol

Abecrombie :innocent:

P.S Again, I offer my assistance with anything if you need help as far as whatever. Does that make sense ? In other words Im always here if you need help with the workload, I can do what Im able and happy to volunteer .

Edited by Abecrombie

Waspie, if you're using firefox there is an extension that you can add

Thank you Gavsto. :tu:

That feature has already been implemented, Waspie. :tu:

IPB Image\

Good work on the update, Saru. Keep it up.

Edited by Raptor X7

A small update was implemented today to the main site, mainly aimed at fixing up a few loose ends following the previous update, and fixing some bugs that hadn't been resolved from the OS reload a few weeks ago:

• Removed broken/unused side menu blocks
  • Reorganised menu blocks on most sections
  • Added a 'Bizarre News' menu block
  • Re-added the 'Voting Booth' site poll menu block
  • Fixed Video index listings
A number of much larger updates are planned for the not too distant future, these will centre primarily around the forum and gallery sections. Most notably we will be upgrading to the latest version of Invision Board (2.2) once it has been released, and there are plans to migrate our current Coppermine gallery system to Invision Gallery in order to completely integrate the gallery and the forum together. The site newsletter will also be making a comeback.

More details about these changes will be posted up nearer the time.

Whats the votingbooth thingamaboober do. and how do i get to it?

Whats the votingbooth thingamaboober do. and how do i get to it?

It allows you to vote and it's on the main page.

It allows you to vote and it's on the main page.

thanks s much

Where do we view the results so far from the vote booth, let's just say it's a subject that's close to my heart ;)

They should appear after you vote.

They should appear after you vote.

It doesn't, it just takes you to the forum main menu. Can you fix that please?

Cheers.

Ghostkol.

It doesn't, it just takes you to the forum main menu. Can you fix that please?

Cheers.

Ghostkol.

It's meant to do that. Scroll down to the voting booth again and it will show the results as a bar chart thingy.

It's meant to do that. Scroll down to the voting booth again and it will show the results as a bar chart thingy.

That's what I thought, but it took a good few times of submiting the vote to get it to appear (on firefox 2.0)

That's what I thought, but it took a good few times of submiting the vote to get it to appear (on firefox 2.0)

I went ahead and tested the poll again on Firefox 2.0 just now and didn't experience any problems. The only way that the poll will not count your vote is if you haven't ticked one of the choices before clicking on 'submit'.

When will the next round of updates happen? Because I have a suggestion that we should add a 'Health and Medicine' forum.

The next updates will centre around the release of Invision Board 2.2, I'm not sure when that will be, but it shouldn't be too long now.

Unfortunately though a 'health and medicine' forum is out of the question, nobody here is qualified in that area and it would be a bad idea to encourage members to offer medical advice. As always we recommend that if anyone has a query about the state of their health or about what medication to take, they should speak to their doctor about it.

is there going to be new topics to vote on in the voting booth?

The voting booth poll topic will be changed once a month.

Unfortunately though a 'health and medicine' forum is out of the question, nobody here is qualified in that area and it would be a bad idea to encourage members to offer medical advice. As always we recommend that if anyone has a query about the state of their health or about what medication to take, they should speak to their doctor about it.

I think FF meant a forum for discussing health and medicine science. Biological processes, genetics, new medicinal techniques and discoveries etc.

I think it's a great idea.

The voting booth poll topic will be changed once a month.

thanks. but i think it should be changed once a week or at least every other week

I think FF meant a forum for discussing health and medicine science. Biological processes, genetics, new medicinal techniques and discoveries etc.

i agree

I had thought about this myself, although as "Medical Sciences" sub-forum of Science & Technology rather than as a separate forum. The reason I had been considering approaching SaRuMaN with the idea is that these subjects often fall between the Nature and the Science & Technology forums and it often difficult to know into which forum a thread should go.

I had not, however, considered the problems that SaRuMaN has put forward. Such a sub-forum would have to have a strict set of rules and guidelines over what could and couldn't be discussed on it. This would inevitably lead to threads being closed or deleted.

That leaves this question, would the advantages of such a sub-forum outweigh the problems it would cause? Would members accept a restrictive set of rules or would it lead to complaints of heavy handed moderation and a restriction of free speech? Would the restrictive nature of the rules lead to the generation of a lot of work for the moderators?

These are questions I simply do not have the answer to and, as with all decisions on this site, I bow to the greater experience of SaRuMaN who, quite rightly, has the final say in all these matters.

I had thought about this myself, although as "Medical Sciences" sub-forum of Science & Technology rather than as a separate forum. The reason I had been considering approaching SaRuMaN with the idea is that these subjects often fall between the Nature and the Science & Technology forums and it often difficult to know into which forum a thread should go.

I had not, however, considered the problems that SaRuMaN has put forward. Such a sub-forum would have to have a strict set of rules and guidelines over what could and couldn't be discussed on it. This would inevitably lead to threads being closed or deleted.

That leaves this question, would the advantages of such a sub-forum outweigh the problems it would cause? Would members accept a restrictive set of rules or would it lead to complaints of heavy handed moderation and a restriction of free speech? Would the restrictive nature of the rules lead to the generation of a lot of work for the moderators?

These are questions I simply do not have the answer to and, as with all decisions on this site, I bow to the greater experience of SaRuMaN who, quite rightly, has the final say in all these matters.

good point the mods would have an even tougher job.

but i think it should be changed once a week or at least every other week

We need to leave any given question up for enough time to get a reasonable number of responses, I think a month is fine.

That leaves this question, would the advantages of such a sub-forum outweigh the problems it would cause?

I don't think it would be worth it to be honest, I think most of the topics that could be discussed in there could be discussed in other existing sections, and the problems of moderating topics asking for medical advice will always be a concern so long as such a board exists.