Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Graves; the long way!

Test_Bear

I enjoy nice walks at the graveyard, the quietest part of town. So there I was, walking at the graveyard one quiet day, when all of a sudden! I almost fell into a 10' hole, dug the long way. It had been covered, partially, by a piece of wood. Now, I know our local graveyard has been expanding recently, and I know that a lot of old graves are being moved forward. And I even gleaned that this was an old grave, as to the old grave stone that appeared over it later that week. The real question is... why was the casket placed in the long way? Is this a tradition to some people, or are they just saving space?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Test_Bear

• alpha_wizard

• Loonboy

• Althalus

Top Posters In This Topic

[blue]

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the 'long way'...

I assume the normal way is a 7' long, 2' wide hole dug down about 6' and the coffin placed inside it. Is the 'long way' different to this?

[/blue] ???

from what was put, i reckon he means the coffin would be placed standing up, in the hole.

if this is the case, then one reason for it would be a suspected vampire, but it depends onwhen it was dug.

i dont know i'v heard some people do that if they want to stand on something they treasure (ex: blanket, toy box, pets)but i think that someone did that for a reason that even we dont understand

Ok, so this is the normal grave...

I

I

I

I     >6 feet

I

I

|---------------------------------|

|                                         |

|____________________|

This is what they've been doing lately.

I

I

I

I > 6 feet

I

I

|--------|

|          |

|          |

|          |

|          |

|          |

|          |

|          |

|          |

|          |

______

And it wasn't just this case. I've been scoping out the local boneyard even more often now, and they've done a good five or ten old graves like that. When they move them, that's the hole they dig. The plan is to shift the whole yard eventually, and it looks like they might be doing it all this way.

Now that I know what you mean by the long way, I would say that this is a way of making more space availabe for modern or  new graves.  It has been known that in the past many graveyards have been used over and over again. The old graves are dug up (asuming there is no relative still living to complain about such an action) and the caskets are reburied as you have described or the bones are intered in to underground crypts.

:)