Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tyrannosaurus Rex No Longer a Carnosaur

Cryptoman

Last night on the Science Channel, they premiered a new documentary on Tyrannosaurus Rex that totally changes its fearsome image. For example:

Tyrannosaurus hunted in family groups =o

Tyrannosaurus ran 15-20 mph, not 30 ='(

Tyrannosaurus's gait was like an elephants

But the most surprising new discovery is that it doesn't belong in the Carnosaur group anymore, it now belongs in the coelorusaur group due to the discovery of its oldest, small, feathery relative named Guanlong Wucaii. Instead of belonging in the family Tyrammosauridae it now belongs to Tyrannosaroidea. This means that Tyrannosaurus Rex is more closely related to birds as once thought. This even means it is now closely related to raptors and other coelorusaurs.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• Cryptoman

• GoddessWhispers

• draconic chronicler

Instead of belonging in the family Tyrammosauridae it now belongs to Tyrannosaroidea.

Sorry, I meant to say Tyrannosauridae instead of Tyrammosauridae. My bad :D

Do you have a link also?

But the most surprising new discovery is that it doesn't belong in the Carnosaur group anymore, it now belongs in the coelorusaur group due to the discovery of its oldest, small, feathery relative named Guanlong Wucaii

Wow, that would really turn things inside out...

On the show they said T-rex' legs were mostly strait while it walked, like an elephant's. The spring step like other animals would cost it ot much energy. Pretty cool show though, "T-Rex , New science, New creature" or something similar it was called.

wow thats cool..do u have a link with more info?

Last night on the Science Channel, they premiered a new documentary on Tyrannosaurus Rex that totally changes its fearsome image. For example:

But the most surprising new discovery is that it doesn't belong in the Carnosaur group anymore, it now belongs in the coelorusaur group due to the discovery of its oldest, small, feathery relative named Guanlong Wucaii. Instead of belonging in the family Tyrammosauridae it now belongs to Tyrannosaroidea. This means that Tyrannosaurus Rex is more closely related to birds as once thought. This even means it is now closely related to raptors and other coelorusaurs.

So how does that make the T rex less fearsome? Because it is now a coeloruesaur, and may hunt in packs, does that mean it no longer eats meat and you can ride one like a Shetland Pony? No, that is just stupid. None of those things make it less "fearsome" if you (or a smaller dinosuar) were standing in front of the snout of one. Does it hurt less to be eaten by a giant Coelorusaur than a Carnosaur?

I think I would opt for the faster lone hunter than the slower pack if I had to face the situation with a crude weapon.

So how does that make the T rex less fearsome? Because it is now a coeloruesaur, and may hunt in packs, does that mean it no longer eats meat and you can ride one like a Shetland Pony? No, that is just stupid. None of those things make it less "fearsome" if you (or a smaller dinosuar) were standing in front of the snout of one. Does it hurt less to be eaten by a giant Coelorusaur than a Carnosaur?

Is there not a controversial theory that the T-rex was actually a scavenger rather than a hunter, and only if times were hard would it actually hunt.

I wish people would stop ruining my childhood. First I was told Santa isn't real, then I keep getting told that the coolest animal to ever walk the earth was in fact a feathery vegetarian. I will always believe that a T-Rex was a big, bad angry mofo with teeth like spears and faster than a cheetah. That's what it's all about.

Is there not a controversial theory that the T-rex was actually a scavenger rather than a hunter

Psssh, it's a media stunt by Jack Horner. There's much more evidence that they are hunters.

Does it hurt less to be eaten by a giant Coelorusaur than a Carnosaur?

:lol: That was great!

I saw the commercials for this new episode for weeks, and still missed it! :geek: So glad for re-runs.

Another interesting fact I heard about TRex was that it was not a predator, as previously thought. But rather like unto a buzzard. Eating carrion rather than being a predator. That totally changes the profile of those Jurassic Park films, no!?

Another interesting fact I heard about TRex was that it was not a predator, as previously thought. But rather like unto a buzzard. Eating carrion rather than being a predator. That totally changes the profile of those Jurassic Park films, no!?

T-rex was actually a predator. The scavenger theory was made by Jack Horner. All the evidence points to being an active ambush hunter, and the world's leading paleontologist on theropods, Currie, agrees.

I saw the commercials for this new episode for weeks, and still missed it! :geek: So glad for re-runs.

As Frogfish correctly stated, that was just a publicity stunt of Jack Horner to get into the press again. It is really nonsense, and he should be ashamed.

All predators are also scavengers. The T Rex is a perfectly designed terrestrial version of a similar aquatic predator that has been around for over 200 million years. It is called a crocodile. A hunter who waits in ambush, and then captures and kills even larger animals with its immensly powerful jaws. The T Rex does the same thing on land. And yes both of these animals will scavenge a carcass if the opportunity arises, but it doesn't make them any less a predator.

All of the revisionist garbage is put out there, just to watch the new shows and see the sponsors commercials. Yes its interesting that T-Rex seems to share a Coleousaur lineage, but this changes absolutely nothing about it being a ;highly succesful ambush predator for millions and millions of years. If humans survive even a quarter of the time Tyrannosaurs dominated their world, we will be very succesful indeed. I think I'll place my bets on the T Rex.

Scandelous! How dare they slur the good name of a flesh eater like TRex! For shame! For shame , I say! (wags finger all serious like) :lol: Thanks for the information. I did not know that. :unsure2:

That's been in books for a while now.

:lol::tu:

I wish people would stop ruining my childhood. First I was told Santa isn't real, then I keep getting told that the coolest animal to ever walk the earth was in fact a feathery vegetarian. I will always believe that a T-Rex was a big, bad angry mofo with teeth like spears and faster than a cheetah. That's what it's all about.

Erm... It was a ferocious carnivore, not a "vegetarian".

T-rex was actually a predator. The scavenger theory was made by Jack Horner.

I don't know, I heard it was quite a strong theory!

Little Jack Horner, sat in his corner sifting through all the evidence.. :tu:

I heard it was quite a strong theory!

Not at all...The worlds leading experts on theropods strongly disagree with him.

T-rex could be a vegan postmodern artist who spent every weekend at a poetry slam and it still wouldn't make the L.A. rampage scene in The Lost World any less fulfilling.

And coelurosaurs can be pretty bad mofos themselves. Pack animals. *shudder* I have nightmares that I'm being hunted by them. Yes, I have dinosaur dreams. Yes, my parents still make fun of me for this.

Honestly, I don't see how these changes necessarily "rock the boat" for T-rex. We're reexamining and recategorizing animals all the time, so it's amazing we haven't done much more with T-rex before now. Maybe because it did have such a fearsome image that it's some sort of blasphemy to try and change it in anyway. No matter what people think of Jack Horner (and I'm very fond of him for reasons not involving the scavenger thing, plus every time I've talked to Bakker, he's been a jerk) he at least had the balls to throw out something new about T-rex. Sacred territory I guess.

But if T-rex was discovered to be a vegan postmodern artist, I might be a little disappointed.

Edited by ivytheplant

personally, I believe T Rex was an oppurtunist. It would hunt down creatures but wouldn't mine dining on a dead carcass