Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Old Sunbury Lunatic Asylum

insecurity

I was wrong, but at least I'm admitting it. Sunbury did exist and Victoria U is using the old grounds, now restored. I still don't believe that black hooded figure in the first photo is real, however.

My apologies if I never replied but I honestly can't remember ever recieving a message on Port Arthur. And to be honset, other than the massacre, I know very little or even nothing else about it. As for my opening comments it was quote taken from SOMEONE ELSES mouth, not my own. I thought we had established that but I guess not.

Oh I'm sorry but I tend to read between the lines much more than that and just because it was someone elses quote it doesnt really change how I felt when I read it. Sorry about that. I cant help it its just my way.. I'm alittle hypervigilant sometimes. Also after being ignored after responding to your PM I cannot help but consider that very rude. You made me feel like I had said something wrong or something.. I thought maybe I had offended you because I said how I jumped the fence and did my own ghost hunt past midnight. So yeah all this time I thought I mustve said something wrong to be completely ignored after spending the time responding to your PM.

So yeah.. I'm sorry that your first impression lasted and that your second seemed as rude as the first. And I'm sorry I read between the lines so much.

I was wrong, but at least I'm admitting it. Sunbury did exist and Victoria U is using the old grounds, now restored. I still don't believe that black hooded figure in the first photo is real, however.

noone claimed the "hooded figure" was a ghost or anything. If you take the time to read the text in that post, you'll see that Insecurity said the only reason she posted to pictures is to show how eerie it looks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't speak for everyone but some find comments such as that (highly) offensive regarding the mentally Ill. These comments are taken very very personal, whether mental illness effects that person indirectly, or directly... for example, my daughter has autism- She would have been considered a "loonie" if put such a place, therefore it's insulting..

Apology accepted here. :tu:

:no:

Dude that hooded figure is my friend lol. He was just with me when I was taking the photos. Oh and he is REAL but he is also living.

• 2 months later...

The Womens Refractory: Now The Conservatorium for VU.

this is definitely real! =]

a family member worked on the restoration project [to convert to the music school], which meant i was subject to a LOT of visits.

i remember one of the very first "reviews" for the original write ups; someone jimmied a door open on a padded cell. Blood on the floor. I was freaked. This was even before I was interested in the paranormal! I have been there a few times at night, and had to walk around by myself. I remember recently at a recital, it was a warm night. Walking to the car I was cold and aware of =, what felt like, being watched.

From the building, the vibe I got was hostile. [before the makeover, and when i'm there whith only one or two others].

I know no one was disputing/has disputed this, but when it was closed down, they released the patients into units, in groups of 6 or so, with a "minder". This was in the 70's. The Refractory was for "difficult" patients.

I can't think of anything else to say..but that wall surrounding [the main office] building in the last photo is called the Ha Ha wall. If anyone cares.. =]

Also, are you a music student who actually studies there [in the refractory]? Because I don't think any of those photos were actually of/in the refractory [on the hill], just the dorms, music office and admin building?? Apologies if they are just from a different angle I'm not recognising. =]

Hey i just came across this post and thought this might help you sleep at night i'm from vic aswell and till now i was unnaware that your campus was built on an old nut house but i do know the bundoora campus is. how? i visited there before it was a uni and after the nut house closed down it was called creswell or la rundel apparently anyways my older brother my cousin her bf and myself had heard of the place and knew it was closed down a long time ago with easy car acces we went on a trip clad in black to hide from the one security gaurd that looked over the place there were manny buildings with no ddors and smashed windows with graffiti every where zero lights and overgrown gardens that night we went through many of the abondoned buildings and what seemed to be wards, ( sorry i dont punctuate ) from the second we gotinto that place there was a distinct feeling of madness and even a forboding feeling of sadness, you could imagine how the mind wanders into dark places in a place like this so most of what happened was probably self induced halucination but i swear i saw things that night flashes if you will of somthing nasty that was still there (i'm a weird **** magnet you name it i probly got half a story about it) i felt like there was somthing there that was sane trapped in madness with no means of escape and it wasnt happy, about 45 mins into this trip we were on the second story of a small run down building there was only 1 way in and out all the other doors and windows were nailed shut with peices of corogated iron, my brother apparently heard a noise but didnt tell anyone but me as he didnt want to spook anyone he thought we could just ease out and be cool instead of all panicy and screaming then i heard a noise as did evryone else, there it was i felt like we were not alone then there it was clear as day something was down stairs making a huge amout of noise banging doors and walls ect the noise sounded like it was comin up the stairs PANIC and sreaming set in "RUN F*%K it RUN " my brother shouted we all piled through the door to another room that a;so lead to the stairway my brother and Julian (cousins bf) ran down the stairs but the stairs had no rails so my cousin Mel wa being carefull but trying to hurry at the same time as i was behind her screaming to move faster the noise was now in the room we just left and right behind us she twisted her ankle on the last step i grabed her and she ran for the what seemed to a kitchen or laundry were the open window was in spite of the pain she jumped up on the sink where my brother and julian were waiting outside the window to catch her still yelling to move it, i pushed her hard out the window and jumped out myself we bolted for the car as we did i looked bac kand i swear there was a dark figure or a man in the shadows of the window just starin at me. we kept on driving till we got home all of us freaked out by what happened my brother rationalised it was probly an angry squater or hobo and the others just wanted to beleve what ever could help them forget what just happend, but i know better than that i have seen that shaddow again since then but wont go into that now. i went back a few years later i had to know what was there but the whole place is uni and i think campus housing (i figured that cos it was late and there were still people in the buildings. if you really think there is something to be seen at your campus i want to see it can anyone just wander through for a visit or no? seeking out this stuff is almost a sickness with me.

Hey Hurst

Its cool that you are interested in the old Sunbury Asylum. If you want to wander through it you can, its pretty much public place. However if you go through it after 10pm you may give the poor security guy a heart attack, he tends to get a bit jumpy out there at night. Oh and if you come across some old lady calling out to Harry don't bother speaking to her, heaps of residents, including myself have come across her late at night and she never replies, the most we have gotten out of her is a giggle. She is actually an ex-patient from when the place was an asylum or at least we think she is. The math adds up.

Cheers!

The Womens Refractory: Now The Conservatorium for VU.

this is definitely real! =]

a family member worked on the restoration project [to convert to the music school], which meant i was subject to a LOT of visits.

i remember one of the very first "reviews" for the original write ups; someone jimmied a door open on a padded cell. Blood on the floor. I was freaked. This was even before I was interested in the paranormal! I have been there a few times at night, and had to walk around by myself. I remember recently at a recital, it was a warm night. Walking to the car I was cold and aware of =, what felt like, being watched.

From the building, the vibe I got was hostile. [before the makeover, and when i'm there whith only one or two others].

I know no one was disputing/has disputed this, but when it was closed down, they released the patients into units, in groups of 6 or so, with a "minder". This was in the 70's. The Refractory was for "difficult" patients.

I can't think of anything else to say..but that wall surrounding [the main office] building in the last photo is called the Ha Ha wall. If anyone cares.. =]

Also, are you a music student who actually studies there [in the refractory]? Because I don't think any of those photos were actually of/in the refractory [on the hill], just the dorms, music office and admin building?? Apologies if they are just from a different angle I'm not recognising. =]

I'm not a music student, I'm actually a teaching student so I don't actually frequent the refractory because its up that hill and I'm lazy. The photos taken are of the other buildings around campus, such as the old nurses wing and so forth.

I'm not a music student, I'm actually a teaching student so I don't actually frequent the refractory because its up that hill and I'm lazy. The photos taken are of the other buildings around campus, such as the old nurses wing and so forth.

thought so.

but i know how scary the whole campus is at night. hope you're enjoying it =]

Oh the campus is fantastic at night, especially with all the wildlife; owls, possums, rabbits, foxes. Sometimes I feel like I'm on some old English estate. That and its eerie in a strangely compelling and beautiful way.

• 10 months later...

that university is beautiful.

i remember going there many many years ago with my dad.. (used to do security to sunbury) and just walking around creeped me out a lot.. that was back when i was like 11.. (almost 17).. he had workers up there day and night and sometimes certain workers refused to work certain nights because the night before they saw things.. one story is that two of the workers were talking(not sure where) but they suddenly see 2 people walking past them.. they say hello to the people then the people just keep walking up a hill.. the two workers then go to see where the people have gone they can see them fine till the people get over the hill and they walked faster up the hill and they got to the top and couldn't see anyone insight..

my dad worked there some nights and never experienced anything.. apart from one night he suddenly had the hairs on the back of his neck stand up...

i never experienced anything while i was there with my dad but last year(2007) my friend started a music course of recording.. all my friends are into music so we all went to record some songs.. everyone had left but the people i was going home with. We were all packing up the car with instruments and music folders and me and a friend went to get the last few bits of music... we grabbed it all.. were talking how the building scares us and how we couldn't look out the window incase we saw something.. so in that talk we forgot to pick up the keys.. we walk outside and the door closes and we realise that we left the keys in there.. so we were told to go down the hill and look for security.. we couldnt find anyone so we start walking up to building 22 and i look to the left of the building near a few trees and i see a figure just walking down the road. we run towards the building and see that security was there.. we ask our friends if they saw anyone go down the road in white and they said no... me and the friend who saw it were really scared...

during the day time of the recording we went to the music place where the padded room is.. then my friends decided it would be funny to lock me in...

i can't wait for the next day of recording!!!

With so much sadness and heartbreak, and the madness..there all negative emotions. Real ghost, or a record in time, I fully believe in.

• 8 months later...

Hey Sarah, yeah that happened to us heaps. I finished the degree in 2006 and many times we saw/heard stuff in both Bld22 and 15. Many times i was driven out of the end studio room by the 'ol ghostie! I'm not joking here.

that university is beautiful.

i remember going there many many years ago with my dad.. (used to do security to sunbury) and just walking around creeped me out a lot.. that was back when i was like 11.. (almost 17).. he had workers up there day and night and sometimes certain workers refused to work certain nights because the night before they saw things.. one story is that two of the workers were talking(not sure where) but they suddenly see 2 people walking past them.. they say hello to the people then the people just keep walking up a hill.. the two workers then go to see where the people have gone they can see them fine till the people get over the hill and they walked faster up the hill and they got to the top and couldn't see anyone insight..

my dad worked there some nights and never experienced anything.. apart from one night he suddenly had the hairs on the back of his neck stand up...

i never experienced anything while i was there with my dad but last year(2007) my friend started a music course of recording.. all my friends are into music so we all went to record some songs.. everyone had left but the people i was going home with. We were all packing up the car with instruments and music folders and me and a friend went to get the last few bits of music... we grabbed it all.. were talking how the building scares us and how we couldn't look out the window incase we saw something.. so in that talk we forgot to pick up the keys.. we walk outside and the door closes and we realise that we left the keys in there.. so we were told to go down the hill and look for security.. we couldnt find anyone so we start walking up to building 22 and i look to the left of the building near a few trees and i see a figure just walking down the road. we run towards the building and see that security was there.. we ask our friends if they saw anyone go down the road in white and they said no... me and the friend who saw it were really scared...

during the day time of the recording we went to the music place where the padded room is.. then my friends decided it would be funny to lock me in...

i can't wait for the next day of recording!!!

I remember in Psychology courses we'd go over history of such places. It was completely horrifying. Makes me think of this movie, "house on haunted hill" (I believe)- Where this asylum's patients got revenge on it's Drs, and nurses who tortured them..and their spirits eventually got revenge on the Dr.s and nurses next of kin.... sort of stupid, but it had some pretty funky scenes...
That is one of my favorite Horror movies but not the second House on haunted Hill 2, I like the end and the crazy Engineer that owns the amusement park reminds me of myself...lol

• 2 months later...

HEy I kno its a bit late but that place has always feaked the hell out of me, Im a sunbury chick Ive lived here my whole life n I use 2 do drama classes at the boilerhouse neer there and I didnt go anywere by myself jst cold and eerie couldnt stand it neways I had a friend a few years ago whos sister was staying up at the doorms so we went ova one nite just to hang out n we hd music on fairly loud and just hanging out joking ect and then her cd player keept turning off then it wouldnt work at all then a book got thrown at my friend and it wasnt any of us so we all **** ourselves and ran down the hill 2 a friends place who lived neer by and got him 2 drive us home but yeh freaked us out, she left at the end of the year n her cd player still didnt work in that room but it does at her new place I dunno if any1 will belive me but its tru also apparently rupetswood bridge has a ghost but u can find out more about that here http://theshadowlands.net/places/australia.htm nd scroll down newho yeh

• 3 years later...

Now that the site isn't being used by the uni and it is up for sale, does anyone know who to contact to see if I can get access into the buildings to do a paranormal investigation?

• 1 year later...

If you wanna hear a really freaky TRUE story keep reading. One day a few weeks ago me and my friend Daniel were looking around the asylum as we have heard about the stories. we are both 13 year old boys, we found a few little ways to get in and we went in a little tiny sort of engine room. We were both looking to the right and then we both heard someone/something say Daniel in a sort of whisper voice. we both turned around and saw a sort of see through whitey grey apparition of and old hunched over lady and she just dissapeared and we looked at each other, screamed and got straight back out the little window and bolted back to his house. if you don't believe me i honestly dont mind as this was as true as true can be. i havn't been back there since the event. please help us find proof.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

hiya

lm an ex nurse l studied my nursing at sunbury asylum in 1995 there is a few large rooms we used for exams one is a hall think it may have been a recreation rooms of some sort anyway while doing an exam oneday l was in the room and a teacher was there with me all of a sudden the lights turned off and on a few times scared teacher l jumped from unexpectedness not to worry but a few days later when it came to getting results my mother inlaw and sons came with me we walked into one of the teachers offices and the window that was facing the door way was find the lights ends face the door and window the light started rocking from side to side meaning from wall to wall mother inlaw panicked and so did teacher kids go omg look the light is swinging ..... thought it was a nice thing the ghost was just letting us know they were there ....... ;-)

anit virus blocked a picture on this page.... nice :td:

• 1 year later...
On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2006 at 0:59 AM, insecurity said:

Hello people,

I am a uni student at Victoria University in Sunbury, the campus happens to be the old Lunatic Asylum and I was just wondering if anyone had any ghost stories involving the place that they would like to share. I have lived on campus for 2 years and I have found a few places to be unbareably eerie but since I am feeling brave I am going to go take pictures now. (even though it is midnight.) Anyway it would really help if someone had some infomation concerning the place because I have to run a ghost tour next year for all the other student residents and I have only two stories so far...Plus one of my own....I'll tell you about it later. Its not supernatural, its just freaky and rather funny.

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2006 at 0:59 AM, insecurity said:

Hello people,

I am a uni student at Victoria University in Sunbury, the campus happens to be the old Lunatic Asylum and I was just wondering if anyone had any ghost stories involving the place that they would like to share. I have lived on campus for 2 years and I have found a few places to be unbareably eerie but since I am feeling brave I am going to go take pictures now. (even though it is midnight.) Anyway it would really help if someone had some infomation concerning the place because I have to run a ghost tour next year for all the other student residents and I have only two stories so far...Plus one of my own....I'll tell you about it later. Its not supernatural, its just freaky and rather funny.

Please get in contact with me as I need to speak with you about this topic please you can find me on facebook Amanda r j

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 11:58 PM, kiltedroo said:

hiya

lm an ex nurse l studied my nursing at sunbury asylum in 1995 there is a few large rooms we used for exams one is a hall think it may have been a recreation rooms of some sort anyway while doing an exam oneday l was in the room and a teacher was there with me all of a sudden the lights turned off and on a few times scared teacher l jumped from unexpectedness not to worry but a few days later when it came to getting results my mother inlaw and sons came with me we walked into one of the teachers offices and the window that was facing the door way was find the lights ends face the door and window the light started rocking from side to side meaning from wall to wall mother inlaw panicked and so did teacher kids go on look the light is swinging ..... thought it was a nice thing the ghost was just letting us know they were there ....... ;-)

please get in contact with me I would like to speak with you based on this topic please you can find me on facbook Amanda r j

56 minutes ago, AmandaRJ said:

please get in contact with me I would like to speak with you based on this topic please you can find me on facbook Amanda r j

Welcome to UM Amanda,

Can you please PM the people you want to get in contact with. Then the topics (which may not have been commented on for years) won't be shown on the front page.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, you might want to edit your posts so people can't find your Facebook.

Edited by Timonthy