Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you fight a 'New Evolution'

Leonardo

H. sapiens sapiens.

We believe (well some believe) it is our god-given destiny to be rulers of Earth. Masters of the animals et cetera, et cetera...

What if a new, 'more evolved' species were to arise (H. sapiens superior)? Would H. sapiens sap. fight to continue our dominance? Would this new species be the 'meek' who will inherit the Earth?

Of course I know we would fight, it's our nature to want to continue to exist, but would we be right to do so? If not fight, would you want to be 'second-class citizens' to obviously superior beings?

I wouldn't want to be looked on as we have looked on H. neandethalensis, but would this be the inevitable consequence?

Lastly, and obviously not least, how would this affect the religious mindset of those on here? Is this the main reason many religious people (not those here) fear evolutionary theory?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boorite

• Leonardo

• ivytheplant

• Cadetak

considering man has fought his own based on race to be dominant I think it is pretty clear he would fight the new species.

considering man has fought his own based on race to be dominant I think it is pretty clear he would fight the new species.

If the new species included your children, hyper?

that would be individually determined (with great influence from society)

a parent naturally protects his/her child but if convinced of a threat will turn on the offspring.

if intelligence is the key defining feature of the super-human, (or another desirable trait) then I suspect the new species will rise quite naturally in position within current societies. The current humans won't know what hit them.

Ask Stan Lee...

Seriously though, it's tough to say. There is no way of knowing what current humans will do in the face of the "next-step". Sure, given our track record, some might consider genocide of this new species. Others might view them as ressurrected gods, or even all new gods.

The one thing that I can state with certainty is that it will be damn interesting.

What if a new, 'more evolved' species were to arise (H. sapiens superior)?

This idea of evolution as progress has really not had a home in evolutionary theory for at least 40 years now. Really, it should never have. The idea of a "superior" or "more evolved" species is not really comprehensible in biological terms.

Furthermore, for speciation to occur in any population, a portion of it has to be geographically isolated in a novel environment in which selective pressures are brought to bear on the population. For humans, none of that is happening now or is likely to happen in the foreseeable future. Virtually no human population is isolated, and the rate of selection is virtually zero. So there is no way for natural selection to produce a new species of hominid.

Maybe if a group of people naffed off to outer space for 50,000 years, they their descendants would come back a different species. Even in that case, it wouldn't make sense to call them "superior" or "more evolved." At most, you could say that they are more suited than we are to reproducing in the environment that selected their species traits.

Edited by boorite

There was already a tv series on this idea, called "Prey". The new species looked human, but had unspecified "powers". Probably, if this were to happen, the changes would be very slow. THe new race might, for example, be telepathic. They would be drawn to each other naturally. This would only work if they were hunted down, and used telepathy to escape (maybe from us?). Perhaps their gestation would only be a few weeks, instead of 9 months. This way they could breed faster. They might be immune to the flu, AIDS, radiation and hepatitis c. If there were enough of them to inbreed, they might speciate in just a few thousand years, at which time they would do to us what we did to the neanderthals.

(pics of Greg Bear novels)

And the long-awaited sequels, Darwin's Blender and Darwin's Garage Door Opener.

While Darwin is gone on Darwin's Vacation, please feed Darwin's Cats, and don't forget to throw Darwin's Junk Mail in Darwin's Waste Basket.

IPB Image\

"I'm the best at what I do......bub"

'nuff said!

EXCELSIOR!!!!!!

X-Men anyone? I think the next step in human evolution has to do with the human genome project. Unnatural evolution.

I think HSS is so arrogant and under the deluded impression it is master of it's earthly domain now, that it would take a global catastrophe to halt the systemic self destruction. And then, with only a few of our species left, we might realize what we did to ourselves to arrive at that deplorable condition. And pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and vow never to be so pathetic that we forget that one rule so many of our animal kin know without being told. Don't sh** where you eat!

Maybe then we'll realize if we don't respect our home, it will kill us. We're not the first animals here, but we hold the potential to insure we are the last that can destroy it all because our lust for dominion has made us rather stupid!

If the new species included your children, hyper?

Well, if the new species were my children, I really would not mind.

If my children were to be superior to me, great. They will make more money, create a better world, and the old species will eventually die off.

Now..if the new species were to incite a fight for no reason..it would just be a war..or something smaller perhaps. I really don't think humans would even notice if a new species were coming forth. The new species would hide it...they can read minds :P

I only say that because I would assume the new species is more intelligent, thus they can use more than 11% of their brain. All of the knowledge in the Universe would be 100% of the brain...if they could use 20-30%..mind reading would have to be in there just because it would be nice.

Ehh...

And pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and vow never to be so pathetic that we forget that one rule so many of our animal kin know without being told. Don't sh** where you eat!

Then explain why the birds crap all over the feeders. And why dogs eat poo.

Edited by ivytheplant

Ah the things you learn from comic books.

::George Bush starts a Sentinel Project while Leonardo recruits good looking teens to fight them::

Cadetak :lol:

I would be sure to include some of the good looking twenty-somethings (limit it at thirty-somethings) in my group as well :devil:

Seriously though. Evolution happens due to environmental pressure causing stress on the organism. The organism develops new traits (or modifies existing traits) over generations to cope with this stress.

There is stress in today's environment, just different from the stress we commonly associate with the natural environment - because we have helped to create it. While I implied progression towards a superior being with my OP, it may not be the case. A new 'evolution' may have heightened aggression, slightly greater muscle mass and more 'twitch fibre' to give faster reflex response. This might be a response to increased competition for living space as the seas rise due to climate change.

They might name themselves H. sapiens superior just as we have arrogantly named ourselves 'wise, wise man'. But a name is only that, it doesn't mean the organism is truly 'superior' or wise.

What may be true is this new species may be better suited to surviving in the new environment and we, because we want to ensure OUR survival - not the species survival - eliminate our chances for species survival by eradicating the evolved species. We have got the capability of doing this - but should we?

H. sapiens sapiens.

We believe (well some believe) it is our god-given destiny to be rulers of Earth. Masters of the animals et cetera, et cetera...

What if a new, 'more evolved' species were to arise (H. sapiens superior)? Would H. sapiens sap. fight to continue our dominance? Would this new species be the 'meek' who will inherit the Earth?

Of course I know we would fight, it's our nature to want to continue to exist, but would we be right to do so? If not fight, would you want to be 'second-class citizens' to obviously superior beings?

I wouldn't want to be looked on as we have looked on H. neandethalensis, but would this be the inevitable consequence?

Lastly, and obviously not least, how would this affect the religious mindset of those on here? Is this the main reason many religious people (not those here) fear evolutionary theory?

A pretty cool topic, with some good social, political, scientific and religious fundamental questions. Depends on how the superior race evolved. Quckily like in one generation?? Or would it take it's time ,as in millions years??(if we survived long enough for another species to evolve out of us), also if they were superior to us intellectually then why would we fight them(thogh many would anyway without considering this question)?? Only stupid people look upon other races as inferior. We would probably if anything try and learn from them. If they wanted to rule over us and subject us as we have to animals then they wouldn;t really be superior in a moral or intellectually/spiritual sense.

If they made superior technological wizardry to fight us with that doesn't mean they possess greater wisdom, true wisdom would be shown through how they would employ there technology(using it to systematically exterminating us would be all too human to be considered intellectually superior).

What if they looked down on technology(unless it was enviromentally friendly) and went back to nature, which in a Darwin survival sense would be superior because our technology destroys and defiles nature(which is necessary to survive) more than it helps.

The are loads of questions to this!

What if they evolved due to the collective subconscious desiring for allieviation from our own behaviour? These superiorly mentally(and physically?) beings could show us the way of spiritual enlightenment like Jesus or Buddha or general world peave like Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

I'm sure it would conflict with many religious views......cause at the same time people would be opening bibles and quarans etc to find vague symbolic or direct passages that would some how in some way correspond to the situation(regardless how broad the term or passage is) etc etc.... and then these people would say "SEE!!! OUR RELIGION WAS RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME!" and others would say "NO THEY ARE DEMONS, RISING FROM THE SIN OF MANS WICKED ACTIONS" and then religious fighting would start over which dogma or doctrine was "the true" scripture or belief.

Evolutionists might say "SEE THERE IS NO GOD, EVOLUTION REIGNS SUPREME, YIIIIIPPPPEEEEEE!!!" but the actual superior beings might look upon the revelations and scriptures of Darwinists and evolutionists and laugh out loud thinking: THEY THINK THEY EVOLVED FROM APES???? HEHEHEHEHEHEHE FOOLS!!! WE ALL MANIFESTED FROM the FORMLESS, INFINITE AND ETERNAL CONSCIOUSNESS!

Like I said it is a cool topic! :tu:

The things I said here is very loosely based, this just came in quick bursts of speculation. B)

Edited by brave_new_world

It is not about right or wrong, it is about survival. If 'we' felt threatened, then we should/would fight. And if we destroyed these superior beings, then they wouldn't be superior... its a matter of interpretation of course. I don't believe it is humanity's desire as a whole to be superior to all things, I just believe we desire to flourish. Some may call our journey here superior to all other animals' journeys, and in a certain perspective that is true, but with greater talent comes greater responsibility.

If the next step in human evolution is just like in X-Men then humans and mutants would coexist until all the humans die off and have already gave birth to mutants.

Cadetak's Mutant Power: Sarcasm

Would this new species be the 'meek' who will inherit the Earth?

How can a more evolved species still be meek or do you call them meek for some specific reason?

but would we be right to do so? If not fight, would you want to be 'second-class citizens' to obviously superior beings?

Every species fights for its survival, so will we. No species will want to be 'second-class citizens' especially when they've already enjoyed 'first class' status. You're asking obvious questions here.

If we're over powered then 'Yes.'

Trust me, religion will find a way. They will just say that it's the testing period and also punishment for the sins we already committed and blah blah blah...

Edited by Bone_Collector

Bone_Collector,

The 'meek' is a reference to a biblical passage - "...and the meek shall inherit the Earth".

This may not be 100% literally accurate, I'm not a biblical scholar, but it's generally how the passage is quoted.

TBH I was more interested in how religious people would rationalise my questions than anything else, but there appears to be little response from that section of the forum.

Yeah, most religious believers avoid such threads like plague. Religion was created by man because of his fear of the unknown. People feel they need religion bacause religious concepts provide a so called protection if you have faith in god. Anyways, more likely than not, as long as man lives on earth, there will always be religions and there will always be gods, and people will figure out innumerable reasons to believe.

In fact, you will see more people turn religious if we are indeed dominated by another species in the future.

Edited by Bone_Collector

If the meek inheirit the earth, does that mean computer geeks will control the world?

Once again, from the top.

Evolution by natural selection cannot currently produce a new species of human because of two things: No population of humans is geographically isolated, and the rate of selection is practically zero.