Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it possible for a God to be almighty ?

TheLight

I was just thinking how could a God (any God, no specific religion implied) be almighty. But I found that doesn't stand logical analysis, read below.

Let's assume he is almighty for the sake of the argument, so:

1. if he's almighty he can create a stone so heavy that no-one (including himself) can lift.

2. if he can't lift it then he isn't almighty. If he can lift it then that contradicts (1) (he can't create a stone so heavy than no-one (including himself) can lift)

So basically he can't be almighty.

I'd like to see your reactions to this demonstration. Is there a way around it that would allow a God to be almighty ? Or is it definitely impossible ?

TheLight

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seraphina

• TheLight

• Xenojjin

• moe eubleck

1. if he's almighty he can create a stone so heavy that no-one (including himself) can lift.

All God would have to do is create the stone in outer space. To lift something means to raise it from a lower level to a higher one. Since there is no up or down in space, the act of lifting something ceases to exist. Therefore he cannot lift the stone.

Then to prove he can lift the stone, all he has to do is place the stone on a planetary body where the act of lifting something does exist, and he can then lift the stone.

I don't question it!!!!

I just know he is almighty!!

And that's that!!! wink2.gif

I was just thinking how could a God (any God, no specific religion implied) be almighty. But I found that doesn't stand logical analysis, read below.

ah yes, *applauds* the typical anit- religion debate. Just keep spouting your slogans. thumbsup.gif

If you would bother to study religion in depth, from any perspective, you would know that God being Almighty is but a small idea in the vast world of religions.

It would be like saying Taoism is all about balance, and creating a comical paradox about it. Balance is only one of the many lessons of the Tao .

i think NXt2hvn has a very healthy outlook. She doesnt need to argue.

If we could comprehend the unfathomable power the creator has (or might have, in the skeptics case), lifting a boulder will be passe. This is going to sound like "Why would he bother", but perhaps we don't understand all what he can do because we are limited to the third dimension of thinking, whether he can lift a boulder too heavy for him or not, there's probably a reason why and why not that we couldn't possibly comprehend.

To answer the question "is it possible for a god to be almighty" i suggest we first understand the defintion of almighty:

often capitalized : having absolute power over all <Almighty God>

2 : relatively unlimited in power

3 : great in magnitude or seriousness

now consider this:

According to David Barrett et al, editors of the "World Christian Encyclopedia: A comparative survey of churches and religions - AD 30 to 2200," there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and many smaller ones. 34,000 separate Christian groups have been identified in the world. "Over half of them are independent churches that are not interested in linking with the big denominations."

user posted image

After reading the definition then reading the statistics of God's influence, wouldnt it be fair to say that God really is almighty? And that was 3 years ago... thumbsup.gif

could not the god of choice create a stone impossible to lift for himself...but THEN should the need to lift it arise, simply alter the conditions of the universe in which the stone lies to conform to whatever necessities arise in order to make said stone liftable? Therefore, the god could create alternate universes dependant upon whether or not the stone needs to be lifted..therefore residing within universe #1, the god can say .."this stone which I have created is unliftable," But then also migrate to universe #2 and say "I can now lift the stone which is simultaneously unliftable."

Ok but basically the topic wasn't about any religion in particular, and the demonstration is purely logical.

I like the idea from theSOURCE but in the end that doesn't prove the case since lifting an object means moving it away from where it is attracted. There's attraction anywhere in space, it's simply extremely small when you get far from a dense object (it decrease with the square of the distance), but nonetheless it exists. So you can lift an object in space.

To respond to the one saying this was an anti-religion topic, it's not. It just questions if a God could be almighty, no more no less. May be a God is almighty enough to do what he has to do but that doesn't mean is 100% almighty.

TheLight

could not the god of choice create a stone impossible to lift for himself...but THEN should the need to lift it arise, simply alter the conditions of the universe in which the stone lies to conform to whatever necessities arise in order to make said stone liftable? Therefore, the god could create alternate universes dependant upon whether or not the stone needs to be lifted..therefore residing within universe #1, the god can say .."this stone which I have created is unliftable," But then also migrate to universe #2 and say "I can now lift the stone which is simultaneously unliftable."

Ok but then he can't lift the stone in the universe #1, so again he's not almighty.

a god who is almighty, can make the choice to put his/her 'might' on 'hold' in order to become mightless. It is this ability that only contributes to his/her almightyness.

a god who is almighty, can make the choice to put his/her 'might' on 'hold' in order to become mightless. It is this ability that only contributes to his/her almightyness.

Actually that's a pretty convincing answer you got there. Very nice. But there's a potential flaw, that includes will. By putting his almightyness on hold he's willing not to lift the stone, which doesn't mean he can't, it just means he doesn't want to lift it in the first place.

But the way the problem is stated is independant of will. So may be there's more than that to explain almightyness !

Anyway, your explanation is the best attempt I've ever heard or read for the matter.

TheLight

I like these type of questions. They really have NO right answer. Both parties just keep expanding and expanding until you realize that your using a lot of brain power to figure out nothing. To me it says a lot about how we, as humans, think. We may think we're getting smarter, but it's the fact that where we are focusing our thought power is not the smartest place. Think about it...

I like these type of questions. They really have NO right answer. Both parties just keep expanding and expanding until you realize that your using a lot of brain power to figure out nothing. To me it says a lot about how we, as humans, think. We may think we're getting smarter, but it's the fact that where we are focusing our thought power is not the smartest place. Think about it...

That's why I'm sticking to my answer!! wink2.giforiginal.gif

To respond to the one saying this was an anti-religion topic, it's not. It just questions if a God could be almighty, no more no less. May be a God is almighty enough to do what he has to do but that doesn't mean is 100% almighty.

ohmy.gif ah forgive me then TheLight. I was under the assumption that this was simply a debate about science vs religion and that you were trying to disprove the might of God. I see now that you were looking for a more contained answer, as ooposed to my universal one.

It was the logic game. And it went right over my head.

*bangs head on keyboard* ldk;wfjsdklhfal;kjfddfklngddflkj g kfsdjm,n g;dfdkf gjndfgd fgjkdnf/.,fdgm rfgLSK SDA

F k sfdg mndsfds

Of course its possible , anything unkown for sure is possible . For all you know I am an alien who has taped into the earths internet and is discussing topics on this forum as means of study on the human race .

Of course , I am not an alien . But you can't really know that for sure can you ? Since you havn't seen me outside of the forums . Just stating that you can't really disprove the existance of an almighty god with opinions and/or facts since nobody can know for sure .

If you could easily understand the entire magnitude of Gods existence, He wouldn't be God. That would be a God created by man, instead of a God that created man.

You're right but this thread was a just a logical game, not anything to be taken too seriously. Of course there are smarter things to think about, and I spend so much time thinking about them that sometimes I find it relaxing to debate about some less important topics like this one.

There's no right answer here, I agree on that. There's a mathematical answer that says "No it's not possible". And there's a mystical answer that says "Yes of course it's possible even though it's logically impossible".

TheLight

If you could easily understand the entire magnitude of Gods existence, He wouldn't be God. That would be a God created by man, instead of a God that created man.

Well again that's off topic, I'm not discussing any specific God.

Of course its possible , anything unkown for sure is possible . For all you know I am an alien who has taped into the earths internet and is discussing topics on this forum as means of study on the human race .

Of course , I am not an alien . But you can't really know that for sure can you ? Since you havn't seen me outside of the forums . Just stating that you can't really disprove the existance of an almighty god with opinions and/or facts since nobody can know for sure .

Ok, you got the answer "Anything's possible until proven wrong". I can know for sure that you're not an alien since an alien would be most probably very advanced and could understand that this thread is only a "logical game". And he would probably come up with some logical arguments weighting the cons and pros.

Damn, so many people just end up in faith or religious talk while the only goal of this thread was only a little playful logical debate.

Anyway, I mean after all everyone is free to participate, it's a public forum. But please try to keep the original spirit of this thread.

Thank you,

TheLight

this hypothetical "super-creature" called "god" or "jack" or "susan" (or that guy called "Q" from star trek) or whatever, must have SOME limitations to its powers. its mere existence proves that. but our silly minds probably cant understand or reconstruct conditions under which that "creature" would be powerless - but those conditions must exist, at least i think so. and that idea: "oh, god wouldnt bother doing that" just makes no point in this discussion, coz that wasn't the question.

i think that this "absoulte power" must be devided in some way. one single entity with "unlimited" power just seems like a bad idea:)))) would this "creature" have the power to kill itself? and what then? bah, as you guys stated, its pretty pointless

to discuss all this with our "down-to-earth" way of reasoning. people have the power the make questions that have no answer, and there's no limit to human imagination. and we all could be right or wrong... coz there's no way of going around that old line "oh yea? well prove it!" original.gif)))). we have opinions, and thats it:)

and i bet NONE of them are the right ones:)))))))))

just an idea about "christian" god: if god exists, then satan exists. if god is so powerful and allmighty, why doesnt he simply destroy satan, the creator of all that's evil? he wont? why the hell not?!?! or he can't? is there an agreement between the two?original.gif))) aw, who cares, i'm off to have a beer:)))

Weight means nothing to an Almight God. It is completely irrelevant, not even an obstacle sense he controls the very forces of nature. Therefore your question makes no sense, you might as well have asked if he could make a rock so yellow that he couldn't lift it.

Weight means nothing to an Almight God. It is completely irrelevant, not even an obstacle sense he controls the very forces of nature. Therefore your question makes no sense, you might as well have asked if he could make a rock so yellow that he couldn't lift it.

the question wasn't whether weight "means" something to him. and "forces of nature" also have nothing to do with it. the point is: are the some "things" he can't control... you will say of course no, and i will say yes. and both of us will be right, and wrong. blah... that beer really hit the spot:)

Q.an example of something he couldn't control is?

A. El Chupacabra

user posted image