Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When two became one in the womb

pappagooch

Jane was a puzzle to doctors. She needed a kidney transplant, but her naturally conceived sons could not donate - because they were not biologically related.

Tests eventually showed Jane was a chimera - her mother had been pregnant with non-identical twins who had fused together in the womb to make one person.

It meant some parts of her are derived from one twin, and the rest from the other.

Jane, 52, was seen by doctors at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre in Boston, Massachusetts.

Medical staff had tested her three sons to see if they were a close enough tissue match to act as kidney donors.

But New Scientist magazine reports genetic tests showed two of her sons could not be hers.

'Male and female organs'

Closer analysis found Jane was a tetragametic chimera - made up of two genetically distinct type of cells.

The term chimera comes from the Greek word for a monster that was part lion, part goat and part serpent.

She had one twin's cells in her blood, which showed up in the tissue-typing tests the scientists carried out. But in other tissues, including her ovaries, the other twin's genes dominated - explaining the initially mysterious test results.

Jane's condition emerged by chance, and scientists say many other chimeras probably go through life unaware of their genetic make up.

Some do display physical signs, however, such as having different coloured eyes.

Others report problems with the reproductive systems, and been found to have parts of both the male and female organs because they had cells from both sexes in their bodies.

Around 30 cases of chimerism have been reported.

Rest of Article

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pappagooch

• Halo_Jones

• Nxt2Hvn

• Xenojjin

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh that is sooo weird. It throws up all sorts of questions like does she have a dual personality? or 2 souls even?, and how does she feel knowing her 2 sons are no genetic realation to her? Very Strange huh.gif

The term chimera comes from the Greek word for a monster that was part lion, part goat and part serpent.

Some do display physical signs, however, such as having different coloured eyes.

This explains alot!!!!! I know this girl back in N.C. who reminds me of this description... she even has two different colored eyes!!! I always thought she was the Devil!!!!

Now I know that she is just a Monster who is Part Lion, Part Goat and Part Serpent.........wait a minute!!!

OMG ... Part GOAT!!!!???

Say it with me Moe............ EL Chupacabra!!!!!!!!

Mystery Solved!!!! She/it does exist!!! ohmy.gifblink.gif

It is so bizarre! "non-identical twins who had fused together in the womb to make one person; It meant some parts of her are derived from one twin, and the rest from the other. "

I have never heard of such a thing...

Thats one of the most interesting things I have ever heard ! I wonder if chimeras have increased potential in muscle growth as well ? Or any other special qualities ? What really gets me is that idea of having two souls . Since siamese twins have two souls I guess it would make sense for chimeras to have two souls as well , then again they are fused so ... oh yah I am leading myself in circles .... sad.gif

How very bizarre. It didn’t even think that could be possible? Just goes to show, we live an learn…

I’ve heard stories about a growth, and the person having it removed and it turning out to be the un-produced twin, which simply resembles a organic blob.

I wonder how many people are similar to this and have never found out. Or how many of us are carrying around are un-grown twin inside us, and don’t realise it… dontgetit.gif