Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Wall in Texas

Aztec Warrior

source

Rockwall, Texas is a mysterious and fascinating city. The town name was chosen after the discovery in 1851 of a stone wall that lay beneath the surface of the proposed town site. This rock wall is a rectangular structure approximately 3.5 miles wide by 5.6 miles long and encompasses almost 20 square miles. It is currently being excavated to determine whether it is part of an ancient city or is a natural process unlike anything in the United States. One stone weighing nearly two tons was unearthed and amazingly had pictographs inscribed on it.

Next, let us consider Rockwall, Texas, a small town named for a strange wall, mostly buried, that exists in the area. We have had inquiries about this structure but have little in the way of substantial data. Just arrived is a facetious newspaper item that relates how, some 50 years ago, R.F. Canup excavated part of this wall. He dug 8 feet down and eventually unearthed about 100 feet of the wall. That was enough to convince him that it was the masonry wall of an ancient city. Geologists, on the other hand, ridicule this idea, saying it is only a natural rock formation.

(Streater, Don; "Geologists Burst Rockwall's Bubble," Beaumont Enterprise, September 8, 1986. Cr. S. Parker via L. Farish.)

Comment. What we really need are some authoritative geological and archeological reports. Have any professionals ever visited the site? It seems incredible that Canup could have mistaken a natural rock wall for an artificial one!

Very hard to find any information about this.

Yeah, read about about this a while ago, unfortunately can't remember where - it was debunked though, a team of archeologists did a study and said it was completely natural formations - it didn't even LOOK like a manmade wall.

It might have been on the Graham handcock website. I'll try and remember where it was!

Edited by MVxK

source

Rockwall, Texas is a mysterious and fascinating city. The town name was chosen after the discovery in 1851 of a stone wall that lay beneath the surface of the proposed town site. This rock wall is a rectangular structure approximately 3.5 miles wide by 5.6 miles long and encompasses almost 20 square miles. It is currently being excavated to determine whether it is part of an ancient city or is a natural process unlike anything in the United States. One stone weighing nearly two tons was unearthed and amazingly had pictographs inscribed on it.

Next, let us consider Rockwall, Texas, a small town named for a strange wall, mostly buried, that exists in the area. We have had inquiries about this structure but have little in the way of substantial data. Just arrived is a facetious newspaper item that relates how, some 50 years ago, R.F. Canup excavated part of this wall. He dug 8 feet down and eventually unearthed about 100 feet of the wall. That was enough to convince him that it was the masonry wall of an ancient city. Geologists, on the other hand, ridicule this idea, saying it is only a natural rock formation.

(Streater, Don; "Geologists Burst Rockwall's Bubble," Beaumont Enterprise, September 8, 1986. Cr. S. Parker via L. Farish.)

Comment. What we really need are some authoritative geological and archeological reports. Have any professionals ever visited the site? It seems incredible that Canup could have mistaken a natural rock wall for an artificial one!

Very hard to find any information about this.

Sounds interesting. Never heard of it before. The fact that it has pictographs on it should make it interesting to archeologists, even if it turns out to just be a natural formation. It should be studied.

source

Double post, sorry. :mellow:

Edited by Bearly

Yeah, read about about this a while ago, unfortunately can't remember where - it was debunked though, a team of archeologists did a study and said it was completely natural formations - it didn't even LOOK like a manmade wall.

It might have been on the Graham handcock website. I'll try and remember where it was!

The geological report I sited, but unfortunately have not read, seems to indicate the formation is natural. But are their pictographs on the stones? Some photos or an updated report would be cool.

Nice find Bogey. Although some of the photos seem to be artist rendered, the one with the writing is very interesting.

Still, the most recent reports are decades old, except for some guy that went looking last Feb and couldn't find anything.

An interesting topic :)

It sure would be nice to get at the truth here, there seem to be different versions of the wall as show in the photos. Both of those images look like a natural cliff face when compared to the wall in this photo:

http://www.pbase.com/texasone/image/38947748

However, because the wall has obviously been reworded it's anbody's guess what it looked like in-situ.

On the ooparts site (exact name escapes me now) there is a picture of metal rings in the wall.

Interesting indeed, havnt heard about this one before even though I've been browsing around at s8int.com alot :)

Thanks for the find!

Interesting some pictures seem like its natural, and some look man made. Its hard to make a good decision here without more examples of pictures and the study done on the formation.

Here's another link with pics.

Link

And another

Great links. I'm still reading the geologist's report. Very detailed and open to the anamalous "archectectural" structures. Presents both sides fairly. But I'll have to finish it first.

seems an ancient race has done what bush continues to fail to do...build a decent wall / fence.

couldnt help it..

seems an ancient race has done what bush continues to fail to do...build a decent wall / fence.

couldnt help it..

LOL...with a dry cool wit like that, you could be an action hero. Maybe the wall was built to keep out invading hordes. Didn't work, did it?

When is this lecture supposed to take place? Any one have any ideas of any more recent press releases?

• 2 months later...

But what else would you expect archaeologists to say when presented with "ruins" of unacceptable age in an unacceptable location?

Most archaeologists LIKE keeping their university research and teaching jobs.

P. S. Whether the walls are man-made or natural, the photogrqphs make them LOOK man-made.

But that doesn't mean that they actually are, of course.

Rockwall is a town nearly engulfed by the Dallas-Forth Worth metro area. I lived in Dallas a bit and my Grandparents lived there. Back in the sixties and seventies when I was growing up, Rockwall was a small town unto itself. We used to fish out there when Lake Ray Hubbard was built. That started the growth in the area. Rockwall is also a county, the smallest in Texas. I'd never heard of the wall itself.

Once when my Dad and I were bank fishing at Ray Hubbard, a dude pulls up in his car and starts talking to Dad. Says they have a serial killer (he didn't use those words back then, but that's what he described) in the area and to be careful or maybe leave. Dad and me just stayed. I often wondered if what he said was true or if the dude was the killer. Anyways, that was close to Rockwall. I loved going out to Hubbard and fishing with my Dad. I haven't fished there in probably twenty-five or more years. :no:

But what else would you expect archaeologists to say when presented with "ruins" of unacceptable age in an unacceptable location?

Most archaeologists LIKE keeping their university research and teaching jobs.

Which is exactly why, if they discovered evidence of a hitherto unknown N American culture that'd be getting papers in every journal and publication they could - to raise the interest and finances to excavate further. One thing you can be 100% sure if, is that they wouldn't just ignore it and go home!

3.5 miles X 5.6 miles? That doesn't seem to be dimensions for a wall. More of a structure. Let's not call it a wall anymore.