Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Born in the Wrong Time Period

Joke_Master_Mandy

if you wish you were born in the past, that probably means you have unfulfilled objectives in a past life. something you really wanted to do before you died, or something you were supposed to do. many people experience that. longing for the future is just as natural, but just because you long for an easier lifestyle that future technology would bring. if you long for the past, you might want to see a hypnotherapist, they might be able to sort that out.

I, for one, suspect that i was killed by or witnessed some plane crash. i have dreams about that stuff all the time.

sorry for getting off topic, but thats all i have to say for now.

from whatever I have learned till now....we are sure to discover that there wasn't a time when we were not here, and nor there would be such a time...when we learn to cross boundaries of space time fabric, which is child's play according to people who claim to know it...

Alright, this is probably going to sound kinda stupid, but I very stronly feel like I was born in the wrong time period. Like I should have been born in a time like the late 1800's or early 1900's. I just don't feel like I belong in 2006. My friends all say that it's stupid to want to be born back then, because all women could do was cook and clean and all that junk, but I really don't mind living a simple life like that. Is it possible that people can be born in the wrong time period? Anybody else feel like this?

I think it's purely psychological. You must have learned about what the 1800-1900s were like, or simply assumed that life back would be great for a person like you.

Sometimes, I feel like I was supposed to be born in the mid-70s, so I could be an adult in the 90s instead. Why? Because I like a lot of 90s dance music! They feel like classics to me, and often wish that I were around in this booming time-period.

However, I'll add, if it sounds really serious to you.. it may be a form of past-life regression. But, I wouldn't bet my money on it.

Edited by LiQuiD_FuSioN

Dress up in rags and ask your friends to chase you around the neighborhood yelling "WITCH!" and come back to tell us if your feelings about the past remain the same.

I'd just like to clarify here, although I feel an affinity with past ages, I don't wish to return to that age. I've always said that if I lived in the Middle Ages I'd be burned by now ^_^

My ideal situation would be to live as self sufficiently as possible out in the country somewhere, growing my own veg etc, I suppose I love the idea of the solitude and small communities back then. As I hardly travel further than I could walk in a day anyway modern transport wouldn't worry me, a bicycle would suffice for my immediate needs Although saying this I wouldn't turn my nose up at modern household technology, I'd embrace a happy medium. This is just me daydreaming btw lol it's going to take a long time before we're in the position of being able to choose exactly here we want to live...

(bah typos)

Edited by Bebi

if you wish you were born in the past, that probably means you have unfulfilled objectives in a past life. something you really wanted to do before you died, or something you were supposed to do. many people experience that. longing for the future is just as natural, but just because you long for an easier lifestyle that future technology would bring. if you long for the past, you might want to see a hypnotherapist, they might be able to sort that out.

I, for one, suspect that i was killed by or witnessed some plane crash. i have dreams about that stuff all the time.

sorry for getting off topic, but thats all i have to say for now.

That's me. I've always think of the future. Getting married, having kids, doing things I never did. The past always messes with your current life.

Believing in Reincarnation, I personally think that we often unconsciously hanker after the era of a life that was particularly pleasant, or safe, or fulfilling, or exciting, depending on our current character, or periods of time we go through. It could equally have been a life where we felt especially at one, congruent with the kind of life we were then leading.

I think it can be safely said that the current, modern person (such as you & me *cough*) generally is in a much more searching, critical state of being & thinking. We aren't so naturally embedded anymore in a given culture. Todays liberation & liberty of who we can be and become demands of us to find within ourselves the very question who we are. True to the very nature of the Aquarian Age, it is our freedom, our responsibility and our burden to define us and our beliefs from within ourselves, to question everything, to let go of the crutches of organized, conveniently pre-fabricated, pre-masticated cultures, religions or schools of thought. It is the coming of age of the soul, to be a bit pompous. But the world is such an increasingly complex and so often bewildering place- The choices & problems are overwhelming. Hence our longing for certain lives where we felt especially embedded, in resonance...

I myself for example get a lump in my throat and watery eyes every time I see one of those beautiful, big sailing ships of the 18' and 19 hundreds. I must have been very happy sailing the oceans & exploring the white bits on the maps. But realistically, for no money on this earth would I really want to be transported back to that time- I know too much about the living conditions of these days. Rats & disease & filth & no aenaesthetics, no pain killers, as someone already pointed out, rotting teeth, lice & horrible food. Thanks, but no thanks. I also hanker after the turn of the century, and the roaring twenties- but I know I was well off then, you see...In general, it wouldn't surprise me that if we were to regress everybody to the periods they long for, we would find that they were reasonably well off, or at least not lacking in anything basic. But most of the time, for most of the people, life was bitter and cruel. Which it still is for at least one billion people on this planet today, I'd like to remind ...

(In contrast, and I'm aware, interesting only to myself, I absolutely abhor Birch Tree forests and Canada (Sorry Canadians, can't help it). Sends shivers of horror down my spine. Must have experienced something really awful. Brrrr)

H.P. Lovecraft (born in 1890) viewed himself rather as a person of the 18th century. He did not attribute his feelings to something supernatural though.

Due to his reading of old books in childhood, he had more sympathetic understanding of 18th century england and also of ancient rome than of his own time. If not so scientific a mind, he might well have believed himself influenced by vague memories from past lifes.

Alright, this is probably going to sound kinda stupid, but I very stronly feel like I was born in the wrong time period. Like I should have been born in a time like the late 1800's or early 1900's. I just don't feel like I belong in 2006. My friends all say that it's stupid to want to be born back then, because all women could do was cook and clean and all that junk, but I really don't mind living a simple life like that. Is it possible that people can be born in the wrong time period? Anybody else feel like this?

I can see how people could think of it as romanticism of the past or escapism,perhaps it is.

But for myself I have never grasped modernity,not the language or habits,not cars and bright electrical lights,I have a great fear of cars,I have always had a perculiar way of talking.

I have been like that since I was a child,always felt very antiquated.

I think it is possible to fall into or been born accidently into the wrong point in time or perhaps out of line or sync with two times,if you think of time as circular and generative and not linear,but how can you explain anything as strange as that?

As another mentioned there is the "old soul theory" but if a person has lived a long time through many periods,there seems no explanation as to why they would become attached to and feel any specific affinity for one particular period.

H.P. Lovecraft (born in 1890) viewed himself rather as a person of the 18th century. He did not attribute his feelings to something supernatural though.

Due to his reading of old books in childhood, he had more sympathetic understanding of 18th century england and also of ancient rome than of his own time. If not so scientific a mind, he might well have believed himself influenced by vague memories from past lifes.

This is also a wonderful explanation,that perhaps we just have the mindset of a particular age and fit better with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I too feel as though I was born too soon. I'm about 900 years too early, although I do have visions of living in a grass and mud home in the British country around 1060 AD.

Yes. Ive always felt like i belong to a horse and cart period in history, where a trip to london involved many weeks travelling by bumpy cart through constant rolling hills and natural landscapes and muddy paths, stopping at the lodges you see at night have candle lanterns outside, and you arrive in london and its dark, and the coal dusted walls, gently lit by candle power, with the swaying shadows in the wind. A time when talking to each other was not hindered by the deceptions of the modern world, when one could not hide behind a text message or a false identity. back then the world must have seemed like an incredibly large place. the distance and time taken to travel alters our perception of the size of the world. I think more people should take a deep breath, book a holiday for 3weeks, hire some period clothing of your choice, and go walking along the footpaths of britain, northwales to london would take about 3weeks, one would certainly appreciate the size of the country then...and it would alter your sense of time enough that you could feel like your a part of that old world.

I sometimes feel like I should have been alive during the period where yeshua (More commonly referred to as 'Jesus') lived.

I think these are past life feelings, they are very strong, as if it were a part of my spirit.

I wish that I was born a thousand years ago

I wish that I'd sailed the darkened seas

On a great big clipper ship

Going from this land here to that

On a sailor's suit and cap

Away from the big city

Where a man cannot be free

Of all the evils of this town

And of himself and those around

Oh, and I guess that I just don't know

Velvet Underground

I know a few people that wished they were born a few years before they were. Never someone who wishes for a differnet century! Oh no especially me I could not survive like that no way. Perhaps because this is what I have now technology such as cell phones, computers, watches all that good stuff.

I am fine just where I am 2007! haha :rofl:

For me, it's the Victorian Era in England that I have a weird internal closeness to, it's like a craving, a need to be there. It's really hard to explain it, personally, I think it's unfinished business in a past life from back then.

I also repeatedly get strange thoughts of drowning on a sinking ship. It's a horrid feeling. A deep rooted fear of dying in the ocean, it's like been there, done that, won't do it again feeling.

I have never and will never go on a boat, ship, or anything else like that, not even if it's dry docked. And the closest I've been to the ocean has been sunbathing on the beach about 15 years ago.

I have felt like it would be better if i was born back then. Maybe thats the reason for you to think about somthing like that? :unsure:

But the coolest thing of all would be, to be born maybe 1 000-100 000 years later or more. Think about all the sweet technology :tsu:

Edited by ImAlien

I like certain time eras,very few (but most time eras I can't stand,I am glad I am not there),. I feel I am on the wrong planet and wrong group of people (all people), I just don't have alot of the same passions or interests as most, care less about family though I loved my parnets and siblings, I don't want a family, don't need relationships or friendships, careless about stuff like that. Alot of other differences. Nothing wrong with me, I am not anrgy at any one or depress, don't have a problem being social(get along with people very well), I just like to observed everything, it's my only interest really.

I think i would belong in a time where guys were more courteous to women. Yet I would also love to be in a time where we didn't use guns and the normal things you were tought (sp?) at school were sword fighting and archery. Saying that i would probably be hacked to bits in a matter of seconds lol. I think i have the wish because of the books i read

i feel like this all the time, I feel i should have been born in ancient Egypt, i dont care if they had no technology or medicine or anything like that, i feel a very strong connection with ancient egypt, and i wish i could have at least seen it. :(

double post......

Edited by Satans Adherent

Are we born into the wrong time periods or do we just desire to be?

Edited by Cadetak47

• 1 month later...

I have always felt that i should have been born in the baroque period. I would love it. :0) I don't feel i belong in this 2007 crazy world.

Edited by Dark_Ambient

Longing for the past is called medievalism. It might have a more scientific name but it means that you don't want to walk along with the future. You are content with the way things are. Hard core medievalismists desire to live in the past. Such personalities rarely buy new books. They buy old ones. They hardely ever watch new movies. They only watch old ones. You will never see them in a mall buying new clothes either. I am actualy one of these people. But im the kind who gets comfortable in the present which lasts for a few years and then i finally change my ways a little to adjust to the way things are now if you know what i mean.