Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing Music

StalingradK

I've had experiences in the past where I would hear faint music (all different kinds of music) mostly at night while it is really quiet or sometimes when I'd tried to fall asleep. I don't have braces or anything metal inside of me and I am 100% sure there was no source for the music possibly to be coming from. Like I said, I'm mostly in the middle of the wood or in my bed with past experiences. I was just wondering if anyone else had these experiences and if anyone knows the cause of the phenonema.

Is it funk music? If so, that just means you got the funk, man.

I've had times when in bed, trying to fall asleep, when I've thought I heard music (the base part, actually) coming from far away. But after listening really hard for several minutes, I determined that it was just my own heart beat/blood running through my body. :unsure:

There's a medical condition where when you're falling asleep you hallucinate aurally, but right now I can't think of what it's called. I'm sure one of the other posters will know.

Also, what are your thoughts about tinnitus? I have this and sometimes it can become almost rythmic frequencies that would be very easy to describe as faint music. This doesn't happen to me often though, mainly it's a high or low pitched hum, or similar to an out of tune radio with static.

Is it funk music? If so, that just means you got the funk, man.

HAHAHA. Priceless.

Anyway dude, I dont know what to say, hearing music witohut a source is really strange.

When I say different types of music I can hear guitars thrashing, drums banging, symbols crashing, or pianos playing, it's actual music not rhythemic beats, not anything blood rushing through my body, but actual music. And this is not just when I fall asleep or am tired, but a common aspect of it is that it only happens at night.

This has happened to me- like you when it's really quiet in the middle of the night. It also happened to me once two summers ago while staying in a psych ward for 5 days because of a manic episode. I heard the music (mostly the bass) during the day in my hospital room. It sounded like it was coming from a basement.

I've heard music come from no source. I used to hear a music box coming from the basement in my grandma's house every night when I was younger. A few nights ago I heard music while meditating.. I actually had a conversation about it with a friend today and the advice he gave me was, "Just listen to the music, because that's what it is."

• Like 1

I've had experiences in the past where I would hear faint music (all different kinds of music) mostly at night while it is really quiet or sometimes when I'd tried to fall asleep. I don't have braces or anything metal inside of me and I am 100% sure there was no source for the music possibly to be coming from. Like I said, I'm mostly in the middle of the wood or in my bed with past experiences. I was just wondering if anyone else had these experiences and if anyone knows the cause of the phenonema.

Hi Stalingradk:

Yes, I've had those experiences, and it is part of what's called a "Hypnagogic State." Once when I was very sleepy, I heard the most beautiful music. I said to myself "I've got to get up and write down the notes so I'll be able to play it on my keyboard when I wake up." But wouldn't you know it, I was so sleepy I fell asleep and woke up in the morning. I couldn't remember anything about what was the melody of the song. :rolleyes:

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

Believe it or not this is the only true 100% reliable means of testing insanity. Congratulations! You pass!!

In all seriousness, somebody with medical training could probably give you a definitive answer..

Thank you Isis, I knew someone would know the name of it :tu:

Are you sure this is an actual sound wave or is this 'mental music'? I play music in my mind all the time but it doesn't exist anywhere else. If this is an actual sound wave - if the music has a physical (or metaphysical) source then you should be able to capture this on a recording. Try that and see.

A few years ago, I was in my bedroom alone when I suddenly heard what sounded like a few seconds of a man talking on a radio broadcast. I couldn't make out the words. The sound appeared to have come from the floor just under me, but there was nothing on the floor that could have made such a noise.

What a coincidence...

Just yesterday when I was asleep in bed, I kept waking up like every hour (not sure the exact distance between the wakings because I don't have a clock in my room) and falling back asleep.

One of the times I woke up, I heard music that sounded very faint, but then it got louder and louder, like it was right in my ears, but it wasn't annoying at all. It had voice, along with instruments. I thought it sounded similar to the japanese music I listen to, but it was a song I've never heard before. I wish it had lasted longer before I fell back asleep. :(

P.S. I miss spellchecker.

This sounds like an auditory version of a Hypnagogic hallucination (basically, a hallucination that occurs when you are about to fall asleep). They're not that uncommon.

Two questions. Why are you in the middle of the woods at night, and just who is past experiences? Seriously, any answer is possible. While the hypnogogig? hallucinations sounds most likely (they have been discussed in detail in other threads and there are web sites giving explanations) you need to investigate your personal experience as thoroughly as possible through research, talking about it. Recall it as accurately as possible, and write down the details as soon as you can, so they are not affected/altered by time/perception. I nave never experienced this phenomenum, but then again, due to constant screaming tinnitus, I can barely hear, let alone appreciate, "real" music. My assumption is you have eliminated, through investigation/deduction, all possible real sources of the music.

...Why shouldn't this human be in the woods in the middle of the night? I like the woods, and I often camp, or simply sleep in them with some friends. Cougars don't attack multiple people, they're cowards. Bears don't attack sleepers often, unless they have reason. Gray wolves are not anthrovores. *doubts that's a word, although it's an accurate one* Then there's coyotes, racoons, bobcats and lynx. Not agressive, or brave.

However, onto the real issue here... Music from nowhere, if it's in your mind.. That's constant with me. For instance, this morning I woke up with the song which's name I think is "Clippety Clop" from The Marx Brothers Go West stuck in my head.

However, physical music as if from nowhere isn't completely unexplainable, especially at night. You'd be amazed how sound travels at night. For instance I was outside with some friends, and we heard Rock being played, drifting across the puget sound. That's miles away. It's not unheard of for a gunshot in the depths of night to be heard for miles and miles around here. Simply, at night sound is diminished to an incredible level. Ambient noises cease in forested regions. However, if you're in an area with lots of crickets or frogs... This is much less of a possibility. However if it was a still and silent night... The music could have been drifting from a party a city away.

However, onto the real issue here... Music from nowhere, if it's in your mind.. That's constant with me. For instance, this morning I woke up with the song which's name I think is "Clippety Clop" from The Marx Brothers Go West stuck in my head.

Don't you just hate that? I woke up with Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On firmly implanted the other day, it drove me nuts

Back on topic...

Great post Werescrib, very valid points

...Why shouldn't this human be in the woods in the middle of the night? I like the woods, and I often camp, or simply sleep in them with some friends. Cougars don't attack multiple people, they're cowards. Bears don't attack sleepers often, unless they have reason. Gray wolves are not anthrovores. *doubts that's a word, although it's an accurate one* Then there's coyotes, racoons, bobcats and lynx. Not agressive, or brave.

I think that it's so funny how people go off topic.

But anyways, I have, in fact, heard music going to sleep.

Bach, Beethoven, Chopin and all others always heard music in their mind. They all knew how to write it down. Learn to write music.

Two questions. Why are you in the middle of the woods at night, and just who is past experiences? Seriously, any answer is possible. While the hypnogogig? hallucinations sounds most likely (they have been discussed in detail in other threads and there are web sites giving explanations) you need to investigate your personal experience as thoroughly as possible through research, talking about it. Recall it as accurately as possible, and write down the details as soon as you can, so they are not affected/altered by time/perception. I nave never experienced this phenomenum, but then again, due to constant screaming tinnitus, I can barely hear, let alone appreciate, "real" music. My assumption is you have eliminated, through investigation/deduction, all possible real sources of the music.

Would explain it, I live in a rural area and leave my window wide open at night. I also go camping, thats when my friends and I heard the music.

B)-->

QUOTE(les b @ Dec 15 2006, 02:45 PM) 1463590[/snapback]
Bach, Beethoven, Chopin and all others always heard music in their mind. They all knew how to write it down. Learn to write music.

Well, that's what I wanted to do in my case, but I was so very sleepy that I couldn't even keep one eye open. :sleepy::no:

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

OK, I mentioned this once to someone in another thread that was hearing voices. I had a similar experience, hearing snippets of music or voices, but only in my bedroom when it was stone quiet. As soon as I investigated, I would "lose" the sounds. FINALLY after weeks of this, I recognized a sound. It was a TV commercial jingle! After ever so quietly searching my room for a possible source, I found it! My freakin cable modem! Very faintly, and sporadically, TV shows somehow "leaked" into my cable modem, and by some freak of electronic engineering, my modem, which has no speakers that I am aware of, actually relayed cable TV into my room. I was both relieved and dissapointed.

So, maybe the music you are hearing is TV, radio, etc, being conveyed to some item in you vicinity or even on you! For that matter, it could be some quirk of your body (inner ear) actually picking up radio waves. I've even heard that sound can be conducted to the human ear via the jawbone.

So unless you hear "JOHNNY IS THE DEVIL, EAT BABIES, MUAHAHAHA", or somethin equally freaky, sit back and enjoy the tunes! (If you start hearing Barry Manilow see a priest and a doctor immediately)!