Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Donkey Lady Of San Antonio, TX

SacredObsession

The stories I found goes:

Back in the fifties, a young woman had been in a fire.

the Donkey Lady had lost two childen in that fire,

and that her husband had started the fire. She was left horribly disfigured.

It was said that when her face healed, all the skin had something of a drooped,

baggy appearance. Her fingers had all fused together, leaving dark stumps, or

hooves. Disfigured and totally insane, she stayed mostly in the rural areas

of Bexar (pronounced "bear") County and terrorized anyone who approached her.

They say if you look @ her she'll attack you

Someone from SA wrote their experience:

"The tales that I have on the Donkey Lady are not directly related to me, however they were relayed to me through friends in highschool. These are people I have known all my life, and have no reason not to believe them.

One night in late 1987, while at my best friends house, four fellow companions showed up. Bored and looking for something to do, we suggested they visit the "Donkey Lady Bridge". This local was only a short drive from the house,(5 or 6 miles) and was a local favorite amongst late night stories. They agreed and were soon driving out of sight.

About six hours later,their vehicle returned to our driveway with only one occupant. Assuming he had taken the girls home and was ready to party in S.A., we went out anxious to greet him. What we found at the car was something I'll never forget; The windshield was busted, the front dented, and there was what appeared to be blood all over the hood. We immediately ran to the drivers door to see if John (not his actual name) was allright. However John was just sitting there staring out the windshield with a blank expression on his face. After several minutes of consistent badgering, we finally got him to talk.

He, Lisa, Terri, And Jill (their names are changed also) arrived at the bridge. They began to honk their horn and call for the donkey lady. (according to legend this is how you are supposed to get her attention) After about fifteen minutes of not seeing anything, they decided to go into the woods and look for her themselves. What happened next was truly unbelievable, and if I hadn't know John all my life and seen the car I would not have believed it myself.

While walking in the woods, John said he got the feeling they were being watched. He immediately stopped and told everyone to be quiet. Looking around and evaluating the situation, he discovered in the distance what appeared to be two eyes staring at them off in the distance. These eyes seemed to be reflecting from the moonlight and were of a color that was said to be indescribable. Immediately the girls panicked and began to run back to the car. John was quick to follow, and soon after he turned away there was a horrible scream from the direction of the eyes. He described it as almost being a cry from an intelligent animal. To afraid to turn around, he picked up his pace as he ran to the car. When he got there the girls were already inside screaming at him to get in and leave. As he was trying to find his keys, he was there was the sounds of what seemed to be a horse running in their direction. Starting the car, he slammed it into gear and put it to the floor. Suddenly, a figure appeared in the road in front of them. To afraid to stop, John collided with the figure. It hit the hood of the car and rolled over the roof. Looking in his rear view mirror, he said he thought the figure got up and continued to pursue them.

After hearing this and seeing the condition of the car, Steve and I, immediately felt this deserved a second look. John told us that he would never return to that bridge again, but if we wanted to risk our lives to go right ahead. Grabbing two flashlights and a pair of shotguns, (that was the biggest weapon Steve's father had) we jumped in my pickup and made way for the bridge. As we drew closer, we slowed down, and turned on the many off road lights my truck had. These lit the road and the woods to the side of us as if it were day time, giving us an outstanding view of the bridge as we approached. The first thing we noticed as the bridge drew close were the numerous amounts of blood on the road. However, these were the only signs of evidence we could find. Upon investigation of the woods by foot, (and shot guns) we discovered what seemed to be several tracks of a small horse (unshod) leading to the road. After several hours of looking and not finding anything else, we returned to the house. By this time John had already found his way home, and we laid in bed, to excited to sleep.

To this day, none of the four individuals involved in this story have returned to the bridge. Did John actually see and strike the Donkey Lady that night, or was it merely a stray pony startled by their presence? All I know is that something was there that night and it did scare our friends half to death.

The Donkey Lady bridge is the bridge that crosses Elm creek via Applewhite Rd., approximately four miles North of Loop 1604 on the South side of town."

Then the other one is that you drive to this bridge on the southside of San Antonio.

Honk your horn a few times, don't even have too I guess, and turn off your car lights.

Then you'll hear the donkey lady comming closer and closer, a hee~haww.

So you turn on the lights REALLY fast to catch a glimpse of her AND DRIVE AWAY before she jumps on the hood of your car & tries to smash through your windsheild.

"The Donkey Lady bridge is the bridge that crosses Elm creek via Applewhite Rd., approximately four miles North of Loop 1604 on the South side of town."

Edited by SacredObsession

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• American Chupacabra

• goblin_lord

• SacredObsession

I've definalty heard this story before. If its true or not, I dont know. If I had a face like that I would chase people too!

That's just creepy. I don't think I'll ever go to San Antonio. But if I have to, I might drive over the bridge on purpose. I'm interested in the scenary around where she lives. But I am not, I repeat NOT going there at night!

Becoming disfigured would not instantly drive you insane.

What the heck?! I've never heard of this before and I doubt there could be such a person.

How did she get the name Donkey Lady? Did she suffer from some sort of uncontrollable braying after she was burned?

yeah... that'd take me a week at least...

Yeah at least. Or maybe 45 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow for having been in a fire she can run fast, none the less that freaks me out just sitting here in my living room.... :lol:

Hmm.. I've never heard of this one before. But in that area, that term usually would mean something else. LOL (sorry..)

well i can cross san antonio off my road trip

• 4 weeks later...

the curse of the donky lady is a big one and thats what probably drove it insane

This story seems to be a variant of the "La Llorona" ("Weeping Woman") legends so well-known in Texas and other Hispanic areas of the South-Western United States. La Llorona murdered her own children, in most versions by drowning them, and has been sentenced to spend the rest of eternity searching for their bodies.

But the connecting link seems to be that in many versions La Llorona's once-beautiful face was transformed into that of a horse or donkey.

Hmm.. I've never heard of this one before. But in that area, that term usually would mean something else. LOL (sorry..)

That was my thought when I saw the topic, and the ones in Mexico's border towns are definitely real and do what they are known for doing. As for this tale, I'd say pure legend except that maybe at one time there was a well known lady disfigured in a fire. Maybe a tale born of fear of her by those who didn't know her.

weird but you never know what it could have none of us were there i think but like about the braying her mouth could have been burnt together and couldnt speak only bray i guess

The words "Donkey Lady" conjure up innaproppiate images. . .

As I recollect from growing up in San Diego, the donkey lady was the hooker in Tijuana that had relations with a donkey if enough people paid to watch.

Anyhoo, I live in San Antonio now and I will put my ear to the ground and see what I come up with. Might be fun.

• 3 months later...

Somebody should make a cryptid card game. Something kind of like Magic; The Gathering. Might be cool...

Anyways, I told this story to a couple of my friends. It creeped them out too. I really doubt it's real though.

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard this before.

• 2 months later...

Pretty creepy you should get like a big saw like machine-Vechile and chop down the forest in the morning and yell WHAT WE DESTROYED YOUR FOREST NOW COME OUT AND FACE US DONKEY LADY.