Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Goblin Shark

heathyr

post-46682-1166681391_thumb.jpg The Japanese fishermen who caught the first specimen of Mitsukurina in the "Black Current" off Yokohama called it tenguzame, which means "goblin shark." This has become its common name, although very few people besides ichthyologists and shark-book authors ever get a chance to use it. The shark is extremely rare, found only in deep water off Japan, South Africa, perhaps off Portugal, and, in one strange instance, in the Indian Ocean, cable malfunction necessitated the raising of the cable, and an awl-like shark's tooth was found embedded in the wire covering. The cable had been at 750 fathoms, and the tooth belonged to a goblin shark.

the rest here..

http://www.greengoblin.com/internal/corner/shark.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tucuxi

• heathyr

• trickyhomunculi

• Luka the Rentboy

I want one

I want one

Me too. I want it to creep out my roommate. I wonder what the protruberance on it's head it for? Maybe an extended area for sensing electromagnetic fields like other sharks do? I would think that because it lives so far down, it would need all the help it could get to locate prey.

Sharks have always been fascinating to me. Maybe it's cause the live to eat. YUM!!! :tu:

I had never heard about nor seen a pic of this shark. Too kewl! Thanks for sharing it!

It's a primitave shark, and yet no one has ever caught a live one.

GoBlIn ShArK!!!

i heard about those like 3 years ago, very creepy things they are

i get those in in my zoo tycoon 2 game

Edited by Ring Tailed Lemur

I thought everyone knew about Goblin sharks... I've always read about them in shark literature and such, they never seemed mysterious enough for people not to know about them. Then again, most people probably don't care much at all about sharks... so... ;P

I like them D;

I thought everyone knew about Goblin sharks... I've always read about them in shark literature and such, they never seemed mysterious enough for people not to know about them. Then again, most people probably don't care much at all about sharks... so... ;P

I like them D;

Me, too. I've known about them for a while now, but hey, I know about a bunch of different kinds of cetaceans that a lot of people haven't heard of when I mention them. It's all about what you're exposed to and what you like to read about.